Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your opinion: does music need words?
Jerome Wrote:Mark Knopfler once said that the guitar would speak the bits you could not say/write down. To underpin a particular phrase etc. On 'Brothers in Arms' the guitar complements the words perfectly. Can't imagine the two apart.

I wish I was at home and had access to my Essential Santana album. <_< There's a quote from him there saying something along the same lines. Paraphrasing a bit at this point but it was something like "Music (As in no words) is universal. You can play a song for someone in Israel who will think the song is beautiful and mean one thing, and then play the same song for someone in Palestine who will also think its beautiful but about something completely different."

I agree with both Knopfler and Carlos. I don't think music needs lyrics, but there are times where they definitely help. One of my favorite bands, in terms of lyrics, is One Less Reason. If they didn't have any words to their songs they'd be a very mediocre band, if even that good. But on the flip side, Santana's "Caravanserai" album was so beautiful with such minuscule amounts of words that adding any in just seems insulting.

In conclusion, in my opinion, music does not need words, but they can be very helpful in adding to the beauty of a song.
I wanted to add something cause I was talking with a friend about this. Music doesn't need words and words don't always need music. And sometimes when you put them together, it just sucks. So, I think it all depends on the song.
I'd have to agree that it depends on the song and type of music. Like you said - I can't imagine Bach w/ lyrics, but I also can't imagine a pop song w/out them...

BUT either bad lyrics or bad music itself can completely ruin any song!
Hey have anyone heard of this N.O.R.A movement going on and this guy Jeff chery i think his name is? http://youtu.be/5n4uEDkf2Yg
does music need words????..........what is the top selling album of all time..........what is the top selling instramental album of all time
if you have to compose a songs, you have to get it from your inner feelings that's why music really needs a word.
Putting the shoe on the other foot - words do not always need music and in this example the words sung are the music. It's all just swings and roundabouts.
http://youtu.be/qXeQL3kVl-U
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I think if done with intelligence and sensitivity words and music complement each other
America is pregnant with promise and anticipation but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable....(Lee Jackson ..The Nice)
Not at all ! There's a lot of great wordless music !.....ambient, dance, classical, and jazz just to cite a few genres where you wouldn't want or need lyrics.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
yes i agree with that steve but also there are some great jazz singers and also some great accopello groups (im being the devils advocate here lol)
SteveO Wrote:Not at all ! There's a lot of great wordless music !.....ambient, dance, classical, and jazz just to cite a few genres where you wouldn't want or need lyrics.
America is pregnant with promise and anticipation but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable....(Lee Jackson ..The Nice)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bleeding Hearts new music! Bleeding Hearts 1 780 29-12-2016, 08:13
Last Post: Jerome
  My words LittleDun 0 846 25-09-2016, 02:36
Last Post: LittleDun
  Just joined and looking for a mentor on songwriting and music producing. Sloaner 0 1,101 18-07-2016, 05:07
Last Post: Sloaner
  Neglecting my music polythenepam 4 1,761 23-09-2015, 11:40
Last Post: JJ24
  My song, I'd like to hear your opinion :) Roval 4 1,651 07-08-2015, 16:48
Last Post: Cali5
  Tired of short term Music Gig? iyrie936 3 1,187 28-05-2014, 17:21
Last Post: Music Head
  What's the best way to really get back into music. lewisrg99 12 5,454 09-10-2013, 23:54
Last Post: JamesRLogan
  My Music FrancisDale 4 2,235 28-05-2013, 23:35
Last Post: mdsujaan
  the origin of traffic music miltk 0 897 16-02-2013, 10:17
Last Post: miltk
  One man music production, need feedback! noiseflor 1 984 19-11-2012, 04:46
Last Post: Jerome