Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need some help with indie rock
rhapsody is really wrong on their indie rock listings so can u recomend some good indie bands cause now i dont know if i like indie rock
That's kind of like saying "I don't know if I like metal, recommend me some metal bands". Indie rock is a huge umbrella term referencing many smaller groups of like-minded bands and artists. You'll probably like some of it but not all.

It's good to start with the Big Names - the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Fugazi, Neutral Milk Hotel, Dinosaur Jr., etc. From them you can find what parts of Indie Rock that you like and explore bands/artists in those sub-genres.
My problem with recommending bands by genre is I have no clue any more what the hell anything is with all the sub-genres and several genres being assigned to the same band, etc.
If you can't be a wonderful example, be a horrifying reminder.
JonG Wrote:That's kind of like saying "I don't know if I like metal, recommend me some metal bands". Indie rock is a huge umbrella term referencing many smaller groups of like-minded bands and artists. You'll probably like some of it but not all.

It's good to start with the Big Names - the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Fugazi, Neutral Milk Hotel, Dinosaur Jr., etc. From them you can find what parts of Indie Rock that you like and explore bands/artists in those sub-genres.
now see i didnt know that sonic youth and the pixies are indie i asked my friend who is getting a music degree later and he recomended modest mouse and franz ferdinand and they were pretty good
Those are more recent bands. I hesitate to call Franz Ferdinand indie rock. They are influenced by it but they are part of the New Wave Revival that's the one of the big trends of the last few years.

Actually Modest Mouse has been around for a while. They started up in the early 90's. They are directly descended from some of the bands I listed.
isn't indie anything made on an independent label
underclass hero Wrote:isn't indie anything made on an independent label

No it isn't. That would make all the cookie-cutter bands who are trying to make it big by sounding just like more popular bands "indie". Indie rock is an approach to making music, an aesthetic, and a loose collection of sounds drawn from punk rock and other styles. It started out on independent record labels because none of the majors would release the records. Then they decided they could make money off of it and signed some of the big names.

The two bands you mentioned, Modest Mouse and Franz Ferdinand, are signed to major labels.

"Indie" draws its name from "independent" but that independent does not necessarily refer to the record label that released the album.
ok i tried some i wasudgested on other forums and i liked ratatat, modest mouse, franz ferdinand, weezer, sonic youth and death cab for cutie
i think i can branch off from their
Modest Mouse is pretty great. I would recomend their older stuff... The Moon & Antarctica is probably my favorite album by them... I wouldn't call Franz Ferdinand "indie"... I wouldn't recommend listening to Death Cab... Weezer is pretty much just mainstream pop now. Try some old Of Montreal. Their new stuff is catchy and easy to get into. I don't really know what is "indie" now, but try some Built to Spill or Iron & Wine.
underclass hero Wrote:ok i tried some i wasudgested on other forums and i liked ratatat, modest mouse, franz ferdinand, weezer, sonic youth and death cab for cutie
i think i can branch off from their
Except none of that is really indie rock except Sonic Youth and Modest Mouse, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Those are commercial radio and MTV's idea of indie rock. Why don't you try some of the bands I suggested?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Black Keys - Let's Rock Music Head 1 137 11-07-2019, 21:05
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Bob Mould "sunshine rock" CRAZY-HORSE 2 296 24-02-2019, 14:16
Last Post: Music Head
  One Ok Rock - Ambitions Music Head 1 353 31-01-2017, 17:16
Last Post: bob_32_116
  Japanese indie RoraDrum 0 383 12-08-2016, 17:46
Last Post: RoraDrum
  You Can Listen To Free Music From Italian Pop Rock Band The General Brothers BobMoran 0 661 08-06-2016, 02:00
Last Post: BobMoran
  Punk Rock Doodles of The Ramones dennis1077 0 531 27-05-2016, 01:00
Last Post: dennis1077
  Come Out For Good Beer and Indie Music in Denver This June for Shane Burke BobMoran 0 509 18-05-2016, 01:40
Last Post: BobMoran
  Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid Music Head 1 1,028 16-05-2016, 02:26
Last Post: SteveO
  Let's try Southeast Asian alternative rock Zenithblue1912 2 670 06-05-2016, 22:00
Last Post: Fandango1
  New Single - The Hazy Seas - Evergreen [indie rock, dream pop] oldbeatupshoez 0 531 25-03-2016, 04:08
Last Post: oldbeatupshoez