Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 51onoNsul0L._AC_US218_.jpg]

HANK SNOW "the highest bidder - and other favourites"  vinyl,  1965

country legend....
almost two decades into his career at this stage...
a compilation....
REAL country that these so-called modern country stars should listen to....
all good tracks on here, except for the two that he yodels, man I hate yodelling with a passion!

favourite track, a tear jerker about an orphaned boy who gets overlooked by prospective adoptee parents because he is blind.

[Image: James_Taylor_-_Mud_Slide_Slim_and_the_Blue_Horizon.jpg]

JAMES TAYLOR  "mud slide slim & the blue horizon"  vinyl,  1971:

James' third....
purchased from a discount bin so I figured I couldn't go too far wrong...
not really a fan of James but ive got a live set which is very good...
contains his massive hit "you've got a friend"...
a very good studio album, in fact, so good that the hit single doesn't stand out
from the other tracks at all...
I love it....

my favourite track off the album:

(08-02-2018, 00:59)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: [Image: 51VPqhdn5PL._AC_US218_.jpg]

GEORGE JONES  "poor man's riches"  vinyl, 1972:

Jones' fifty second studio album according to Wiki...
and one of nine he released in 1972, his most productive year for quantity of released material....
album has a re-recording of his mega-hit "she thinks I still care", not sure about the others on the album??
anyway, one of the stalwarts and mainstays of Country music, I really should have more of his material
as I only own a Gospel collection on cd , one other album, the duets album he did with Paycheck and the duets
collection with Pitney...
the word "legend" gets thrown around quite a lot but in this case, Jones was a country music legend...
a good album

from the album, the title track(and Slim Dusty sounding track):

[Image: 51IQyzxBuuL.jpg]

PATST CLINE  "i cant forget you"  vinyl:

I cant find any info on it...
not sure if the tracks were unreleased prior to her death or whether its a compilation (but not singles a compilation)...
album has no year stamp on it neither and its not listed on Wiki anywhere...
so, ten tracks, obviously country...
nothing bad on here (i'd expect no less from Patsy!)...
a good album!

my favourite from the album:

[Image: 220px-The_Essential_Redgum.jpg]

REDGUM "the essential...."  cd, 2011.

Aussie folkies...
predominantly popular in the 1970s but their career spread through the 80s and into the 90s also...
had only heard one song of theirs (the one i'll post) and it is brilliant,
so I thought 'that cant be all they've got that's good'...
for me, that's all they have got...
their music is too far to 'the left' for me, even more so than Midnight Oil and I can only
tolerate them for so long...
double cd of leftist nonsense.., I don't like it, shame because the linked song is a classic!

the greatest Vietnam War song ever IMO:

[Image: 220px-Billy_Bragg_%26_Joe_Henry_-_Shine_...ilroad.png]

BILLY BRAGG & JOE HENRY  "shine a light: field recordings from the great American railroad"  cd,  2016:

UK folkie-protest singer/songwriter meets American folkie/alt-country singer/songwriter...
fourteenth studio set for each of them, but i'd not heard of Joe Henry prior to this one....
so, a concept album...
they took their guitars/amps/microphones and a recording machine and travelled the great railroads
of the US, stopping at iconic/famous stations and set up their gear and recorded a classic or traditional
folk song at each port of call...
the result thirteen tracks and an album...
if you listen carefully you can hear the sound of trains in the background, p.a system announcements, people talking
as theyre walking by etc etc (you get the idea, right?)....
a simple, yet effective album and one of the highlights of 2016 for me...
far superior to the crap Bragg had released over the previous decade IMO, cant speak for Joe's back catalogue, as previously
stated, im not familiar with his work!

from the album:

Al Stewart - Gethsemane Again - this is how you write intelligent lyrics boys and girls. https://youtu.be/jEWFINe4Id0
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Listening to Martin Simpson’s Trails and Tribulations (yes, that’s ‘a’ before ‘i’ – one of his many other albums is titled Righteousness and Humidity, lol! The mind immediately starts to leap around …). 

[Image: R-10783532-1504258760-3883.jpeg.jpg]

Never heard any of his stuff before – he’s a highly lauded folk musician/guitarist with a fairly modern sound and is one helluva banjoista or whatever they are called. Seriously – lovely to listen to musos who are so assured and competent around a fretboard, even if not completely sold on every single thing they do. 

This track, oddly, calls to mind Ian Anderson & Co … (keep getting “Fallen on Hard Times” in my head which is weird! Guess I’ll be listening to The Broadsword and the Beast next then … Big Grin ) …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
the banjo is being finger picked at a hundred miles an hour whilst the singing is very slow...strange combination???????
^Yes - timing is off the charts!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Chris Thile - Thanks for Listening Ruby 3 209 30-01-2018, 21:15
Last Post: Ruby
  Johnny Flynn - Been Listening Music Head 1 906 01-11-2010, 19:29
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE