Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Saint-Seans Symphony No 3 'Organ'
I have just brought this performed by the Chicago Symphony orchestra. Well what can I say.... This has to now be my most favourite of symphonies.

The third movement, sounds like dramatic film music and really gets your heart beating.

I am interested to read any other reviews.
With Regards...

Anthony :coffee:
ambernector Wrote:I have just brought this performed by the Chicago Symphony orchestra. Well what can I say.... This has to now be my most favourite of symphonies.

The third movement, sounds like dramatic film music and really gets your heart beating.

I am interested to read any other reviews.

The recording you purchased: Is it the one conducted by Fritz Reiner in the '50's? I'm just asking because when he was @ helm, The Chicago Symphony Orchestra was considered #1 in the world as well as one of the best orchestras of all-time. I have a few of the recordings from that era and #3 is one of the best ones. Reason being if you compare that recording to one that was made from Berlin (a recording where the organ stood out and the tempo was a bit fast), you will see that (especially in the 2nd half) that the organ is in harmony w/ the orchestra, not a stand-out. It was also a bit of a slow reading which I enjoyed more because it brings out more of the key melodies.
I am interested to check out your recording. No, the copy I have got was recorded in 1987. Artists: Daniel Barenboim, Gaston Litaize.
With Regards...

Anthony :coffee:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is your favourite symphony? Violinist0812 4 1,605 14-04-2015, 11:40
Last Post: Sunfist
  Organ Symphony ambernector 0 1,504 07-01-2009, 19:11
Last Post: ambernector