Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what years in music failed to inspire you to buy music?
after mine and SteveO's comments in another thread i got to thinking about were there times that any of you failed to buy many records for any reason...mainly because the music scene became stale or stagnant for you?....personal reasons are also ok to post if you desire....
i stopped buying music to a great extent between the years 1987 and 1994-ish...

with the rise of the Stock/Aitken/Waterman stable of artists back in 1987(Kylie minogue,Rick Astley,Bananarama/Cliff richard etc etc), and those dumbass big hair guys from the States(Poison,Bon Jovi,Aerosmith, Van Halen etc etc) eveything sounded the same to me on the radio and MTV...
even the artists i loved at the time (McCartney,Style Council,Tim Finn) seemed to be releasing uninspired music...it just seemed like music was declining in originality and individuality...
wasnt really until around 1994 when Paul Weller released "wildwood", Britpop, Alanis Morrissette "jagged little pill" that my ears pricked up again and i started purchasing albums again....
that might explain why i missed the whole Grunge/REM thing at the time....and am just getting into it all now.

went off music again around 1999, luckily Limp Bizkit"hot dog flavoured water", Linkin Park and Eminem sparked me into action again in 2000...
and the rest is history!
For me the withdrawal years were the early 80's, but not because of the music.
More to do with location.
Of course there was no internet, which would have solved the then existing problem.
Had just moved to central Florida. There was no music scene.
Only radio was pop. Only music store was the same. Just lost interest.
Move to Massachusetts (near Boston) cured all of that.
Thriving music scene, numerous alt radio stations.
Found Pixies, Sonic Youth. I was cured.
Has never been a time when I thought the music was dead.
Always had more to do with surroundings or self inflicted mental state.

I think the past decade has been it for me. Kids, life etc. Finding this site was an effort o pull out of that.
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
A couple of years from about 1983 - 1985 were a drought for me. Much the same as MH, without the interweb I was struggling to find the music I needed.

The net is wonderful for music fans...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
I had no interest for about five years Late 80s to early 90s ,,,bringing up a family, work stress and less partying and drinking *that influences a lot of people's interest in music ...no doubt about it !!!!...lol

For me , maybe not so for others, I was not into the Internet much and there was no MD then !!!!

Group LIVE snapped me out of it in '95 and yes Crazy, Alannis also !!!!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Wow! I think that is the first time I have heard Aerosmith, or Van Halen for that matter, described as a dumbass big hair guys. That would be Dokken and Winger, Crazy! I have to say though, IMHO, Aerosmith were great from 1973- maybe 1987 and "Permanent Vacation", which had much the same feel as "Toys In The Attic". Halen's debut is one of the all-time best beer keg albums, and the next three albums were good... after that, you are pretty correct. BTW, I had hair like that, so watch it! Buwahahahaha.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1250[/ATTACH]
You can live in staunch denile and mark me as your enemy, but I'm just a voice among the throng who want a brighter destiny, and say with me, "We are the New America!" -Greg Graffin
gater Wrote:Wow! I think that is the first time I have heard Aerosmith, or Van Halen for that matter, described as a dumbass big hair guys. That would be Dokken and Winger, Crazy! I have to say though, IMHO, Aerosmith were great from 1973- maybe 1987 and "Permanent Vacation", which had much the same feel as "Toys In The Attic". Halen's debut is one of the all-time best beer keg albums, and the next three albums were good... after that, you are pretty correct. BTW, I had hair like that, so watch it! Buwahahahaha.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1250[/ATTACH]
I like some of the "hair bands" like Van Halen and The Cult.
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUSIC HEAD! Ruby 7 162 01-11-2017, 10:18
Last Post: Music Head
  Music Head: 20,000 posts! CRAZY-HORSE 5 129 13-10-2017, 03:08
Last Post: Lovely Linda
  Microsoft retires Groove Music service Frands 4 229 05-10-2017, 12:08
Last Post: Frands
  Apart From Music What Other Interests /Hobbies/ Things Do We All Do ? gryphon 30 4,048 09-05-2017, 02:38
Last Post: Lovely Linda
  Happy Birthday Music Discussion Jerome 3 327 27-12-2016, 12:29
Last Post: Music Head
  Music Mastering Guide (companion piece to Mixing guide) Homer Bluth 0 201 22-12-2016, 20:43
Last Post: Homer Bluth
  Learning about music mixing Homer Bluth 0 212 21-12-2016, 21:16
Last Post: Homer Bluth
  Season's greetings to all music discussion members ! SteveO 0 211 21-12-2016, 16:50
Last Post: SteveO
  Haiti: Dealing with the disaster 3 years later LoudStarENT 8 1,090 05-11-2016, 10:25
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Music visualizers Jerome 0 327 04-07-2016, 19:20
Last Post: Jerome