Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was it that first led you to take notice of music ?
I have been pondering this for quite a long time and has come up with some ideas:
  • First I have alwys lived in a house where people wre playing recorde music either via records ( or tape recordings or the radio ).
  • Second my mother tells me hat one way to stop me from crying when ababy was to put my pram in front of the radiogram whilst it was playing
  • As a child , I was always facinated by the mechanics of musical reproduction, the physical reality of records has always held afacination for me, the brightly coloured labels , the idea of a spining disc that could turn a moving groove into sound etc
  • My Grandfather also had the facination with recorded music.He owned 78s players , horned grammophones and even a cylinder player : in addition, he had need making apparatus and could produce a different needle to suit a different type of music using various need making machines for his grammophone. He had good knowledge of 78 technology instructing me to the two main technologies of reproduction, "Up hill and down dale " recodings and "curving river" technology ( the one used until today !)
  • My Father was alawys into inovation and spend a lot of time recording music on a reel to reel tape recorder. We were into early inovations 45s Stereo , quad sound, FM radio etc and may others
I believe these and perhaps a few other things led me to become interested in recorded music What is your story ?:biggrin1::nod::happy:Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
My early listening experiences seems to be in line with yours. We had my grandfathers Edisonola to play those huge thick platters on. I still have the Edisonola and still crank it up for time to time. Reel to reel, 4 track, 8 track, Hi-Fi Stereo all kinds of new and modern electronics of the time. My folks loved to dance so there was always music at our house.
"God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."
My mother always had the radio on while she was ironing. I remember hearing songs at a very young age, can't pinpoint it ...perhaps 3, 4, and 5 years old before I went to school.

I also remember distinctly at age 3 or 4 watching Elvis Presley swivelling his hips with his guitar and singing probably Hound Dog or Blue Suede Shoes on television.

By the time I went to school at 6 I always listened to the radio. We didn't have a stereo or records ...just the good old radio.

Excellent post Gryph !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
listened to "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, had my mind blown, began devulging deeper into music, am now I full time obsessive
Hmm, my early stages of music enjoyment came from the radio in the car whenever I went somewhere. Parents used to like the radio on for short drives, and considering they were listening to lite fm in the 1990s the setlist wasn't too varied I got used to these familiar songs and artists. This was probably helped by the fact that I was in the "TRL-Generation" where music and music videos were still cool television to be hanging around.
Great topic Gryphon.
I too was calmed by music as an infant and we wore out a Gisele Mackenzie - Lullaby & Goodnight record.

My Mother played folk pop & jazz music - The Kingston Trio, The Seekers, The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Dave Brubeck, Gene Krupa & Rock Radio
My Father played mostly Classical Music/Opera - Andres Segovia, Mozart, Strauss, Beethoven & CBC Radio (classical/opera)
My Aunt who lived with us listened to Jefferson Airplane, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Santana & Rock Radio
My Grandparents who I went and visited a lot had a Hi-Fi system and they always had music on - Herb Alpert, Gene Krupa, Mantovani, Glen Miller, 101 Strings and they listened to FM radio of Easy Listening.

So I had exposure to a lot of different kinds of music from the start. When my Aunt moved out she gave me her Record Player and I used it every day. I still listen to music every day.
I think it was mainly my father because he was always playing records in the house (mainly jazz) right from my earliest years and if you hear enough ,then you start to like it my dad was a drummer in a jazz band ,and now i play keyboards and occasional guitar in a blues band as a hobby . I think that early musical introduction has got a lot to do with my love of all forms of music.
Not sure where mine came from.
Dad was big band, mom was country, if anything.
Radio was rarely on, no record player.
Remember them watching Hit Parade on tv.
Got a little transistor radio for my birthday, early 60's.
Heard the Beatles on there and was hooked.
Went through a lot of those little rectangular batteries.
Would sit out in the yard and listen to music all day.
Still do that

I was always singing and making up songs. I got a teeny piano for Christmas when I was 3 years old and would try to make up my own music. My oldest brother was always playing music and I got my first record player when I was maybe 5? My Mom used to let me spend $2 a week on record singles. My Dad used to sing and play 50's music all around me. It was all around me and I loved it.
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
I would say it is the singing of some people that I cannot get enough of especially the female singing. I wonder why
some females have so much of a good voice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weekly Music Charts for 2017 Music Head 157 9,919 13-10-2017, 14:47
Last Post: Ruby
  MUSIC NEWS: Steve Winwood to release his first "live" album CRAZY-HORSE 1 184 01-09-2017, 13:55
Last Post: SteveO
  MUSIC NEWS: new Waterboys album on the way... CRAZY-HORSE 0 101 30-06-2017, 13:54
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  The ultimate music connection SteveO 109 27,834 03-06-2017, 05:51
Last Post: SteveO
  What in your opinion makes a piece of music an outstanding track ? gryphon 15 2,304 13-05-2017, 11:35
Last Post: Jerome
  Music & Alcohol Tiggi 13 1,835 06-05-2017, 18:16
Last Post: Frands
  Subversive Music - RATM, Immortal Tech, Akala, Slaves, Allflaws flinty 50 9,286 17-03-2017, 13:59
Last Post: flinty
  The Best Gaming Music Mix 2017 ♪ ToBu,alan walker,NCS Realese 1 Hour ^_^ Dragon Music rikkasan47 1 386 16-03-2017, 20:56
Last Post: Inna Selez
  is my best music 2017 ayoub123 1 537 06-03-2017, 14:31
Last Post: Soniajain
  Interesting article in Scientific American about pop music bob_32_116 4 284 23-02-2017, 03:46
Last Post: Lovely Linda