Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Classical Fan, Who are some great composers?
I've only been listening to classical music for close to a year now. I find it to be very relaxing. I love the essentials like Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. I've also gotten into Tchaikovsky (partly due to his epic contribution in V for Vendetta).

Most recently I've discovered "Love Dream" by Franz Liszt. For those unfamiliar with it, it is a beautiful piano piece. Not too complex but not simple either rather simply beautiful.

I'll take any suggestion but if you know of anything similar to "Love Dream" that would be grand.

Thanks!!
John
Oh there are so many, John !

Wagner for sure with his epic opera of The Rings

I enjoy Eric Satie and Frederic Chopin for piano compositions among many others. No sense in getting overwhelmed at the start !

Try a few from the massive discography of Ryuichi Sokomoto for the modern side as well as Meredith Monk and Arvo Part !..for starters !!!..lol

Modern classical singing..... Emma Shapplin's Carmine Meo is great ! Lisa Gerrard ( formerly of Dead Can Dance) has a few classical things out there !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Hey John, are you familiar with the various eras of legit music? From your post it looks like you would like The Classical era (1730-1820) flowing into the early part of The Romantic (1815-1910 or so). This time period includes biggies like Mozart, Haydn, and Schubert.
Believe it or not, Wikipedia has a petty complete list of major and minor composers that you should find useful. You can find it at...
List of classical music composers by era - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can live in staunch denile and mark me as your enemy, but I'm just a voice among the throng who want a brighter destiny, and say with me, "We are the New America!" -Greg Graffin
Antonio Vivaldi was a prolific composer from the Baroque period (around the time of JS Bach).

His music's much lighter than Bach's, but really beautiful.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
SteveO: I have recently discovered Eric Satie, he does some great piano work. The rest I have never heard of but I will most definitely check them out. Thank you!

gater: I have always enjoyed the Romantic Era. And that link was definitely helpful thank you!

Tiggie: I've heard of Vivaldi but never listened to him so thank you as well!!
Morton Feldman-String Quartet No. 2 and For Philip Guston
Julius Eastman-Unjust Malaise
Schoenberg-Neue Wiener Schule
Igor Stravinsky-Stravisnky Conducts Stravinsky
Krystof Penderecki-Matrix 5
In C-Terry Riley

THE classical masterpieces
mtthwibrahim Wrote:Morton Feldman-String Quartet No. 2 and For Philip Guston
Julius Eastman-Unjust Malaise
Schoenberg-Neue Wiener Schule
Igor Stravinsky-Stravisnky Conducts Stravinsky
Krystof Penderecki-Matrix 5
In C-Terry Riley

THE classical masterpieces

Those are good pieces and great composers. I recommend contemporary pieces from new great composers:
À Bruno Madrena by Paul Méfano[URL="http://www.babelscores.com/en/catalog/instrumental-music/large-ensamble-20-35-instruments/arquetipo"]
Arquetipo[/URL] by Lucas Fagin[URL="http://www.babelscores.com/en/catalog/instrumental-music/large-ensamble-20-35-instruments/arquetipo"]
Brujería[/URL] by Pedro García Velasquez
Duel 2 by Luis Naón

what do you think about this music?
Hey John!

Another Lisztophile! Yay! I love (and play) Liebestraum and Consolation 3, I've played Consolation 1 which is only one page!!! A lot of others I'm still in the process: Rhapsody 2, Bravura Waltz, Csardas Obstine, but I found one that sounds perfect for you! Really! A lovely song, in English:

"A wondrous rapture, must it be, when 2 hearts are ..." I'll have to go find the score, I have it somewhere here. It's 2 pages, beautiful and slow, and I imagine Liszt wrote the lyrics too!!!

I have arranged his opus 1, Don Sanche, here: http://teovincent4.com it is now a trio score but you can play the piano parts.

To answer your question, "Who are some great composers," I have found a few off of the beaten path: Clara Schumann, St. George de Chevalier, and half classical people like Sebastien Yradier or Iradier who wrote Paloma, beautiful, and El Arreglito the original melody of Carmen's Habanera! Also Ernesto Lecuona's Andalucia - that is in the site I mentioned above. I put it back in a waltz, though most people play it in 4/4, with the added lyrics: "The breeze and I, are saying goodbye, to love we used to share..." but the original has a Cuban Waltz and Andalucian feel.

Teo
In 2007 I played it this way:

TeoLiszt-Liebestraum..>

and on New Age Piano:

http://webpageexperience.com/mid/TeoLisz...NewAge.mid

But I have to say, this is not easy at all! I play it faster now, but it is a huge piece! I hope you will let me know what piece you are talking about, I love Liszt and would love to hear that song, Love Dream.

Teo
Welcome aboard MD., Eduardo! I find "contemporary" or avant garde music very exciting to listen to as one never knows where the composer will go next!!!!
EduardoG Wrote:Those are good pieces and great composers. I recommend contemporary pieces from new great composers:
À Bruno Madrena by Paul Méfano[URL="http://www.babelscores.com/en/catalog/instrumental-music/large-ensamble-20-35-instruments/arquetipo"]
Arquetipo[/URL] by Lucas Fagin[URL="http://www.babelscores.com/en/catalog/instrumental-music/large-ensamble-20-35-instruments/arquetipo"]
Brujería[/URL] by Pedro García Velasquez
Duel 2 by Luis Naón

what do you think about this music?
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 5 Classical Composers ambernector 79 28,345 23-06-2018, 22:47
Last Post: Lovely
  Unknown, but great, world music tacosmitsen 10 93 10-06-2018, 20:01
Last Post: Ruby
  Key signatures in classical works Skip Skipson 12 2,904 23-06-2016, 15:05
Last Post: Skip Skipson
  Headphones for Classical Music Homer Bluth 1 1,321 25-03-2016, 14:03
Last Post: R_burke
  My five favourite composers are............... Heko 2 1,478 26-11-2015, 22:53
Last Post: Clive Harrison
  Classical Hungarian music on piano Radó Richárd 1 931 17-07-2015, 21:58
Last Post: Jerome
  Contemporary - Minimalist Classical Music falconvray 1 1,122 06-07-2015, 14:48
Last Post: SteveO
  Classical Sad Music - Whither Must I Wander - Ron Meixsell Wiidoux 1 1,013 25-04-2015, 16:46
Last Post: Lindsay
  Classical music and biography ronPrice 8 2,431 04-04-2015, 22:22
Last Post: Jerome
  What is your favorite classical music piece? angelgirl 1 814 20-03-2015, 21:10
Last Post: Lindsay