Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concept Albums
I know! It's going to be so cool
I'm totally bringing this old thread back to life, but I did think of at least one other example.

Sixx A.M. - The Heroin Diaries

It's not for everyone but definitely fits the description.
The who - "Tommy"
Tori Amos - "American Doll Posse"
David Bowie - "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"
Mike Oldfield's "The songs of distant earth" is based on a book by Arthur C. Clarke.

It does not describe the book exactly, but its a whole travel through space and time; one of his best album (instrumental).

Ministry's Dark Side of the Spoon is a huge depressing downhill toward death in a heroine addict theme. Very intense, not for everybody. Actually, the first time I listened to this album I was seriously considering that the singer may suicide himself soon. Fortunately, he got out of his heroin addiction and is going very well today. The kind on album that happens just once in the life of an artist.

And one of the band that is always doing concept albums is without doubt Rhapsody! (today changed to Rhapsody of Fire due to some copyright thing...)

EACH album contains 10 songs. The first is always a classical intro. The last is always long above 10 minutes (sorry, except the first album, I think the last song is about 7 minutes...)

Each album have it's own theme always about medieval aventures. Each booklet continue a story (beside song's lyrics) extending the concept on multiple albums. For example, the first 4 albums are a complete campaign. From album 5 they started a new campaign!!

Talk about concept albums!!!
Just now seeing this thread.

I love concept albums.

One of my favorites is Supertramps Crime Of The Century.

About what else, going looney

[Image: 200px-Supertramp_-_Crime_of_the_Century.jpg]

I didn't notice any mention of last year's release from The Decemberists, The Hazards of Love. Reviews were somewhat mixed from what I recall, but I really enjoyed the album.
I love Olias Of Sunhillow........by John Anderson......It has an excellent story ......great concept artwork .......good music and its own language.Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Some of the best concept albums come from the progressive death metal and prog metal bands.
Such as:

Between the Buried and Me: Alaska
Between the Buried and Me: The Silent Circus
Between the Buried and Me: Colors
Between the Buried and Me: The Great Misdirect

The entire Opeth discography, especially Still Life.

And the entire Porcupine Tree discography. Deadwing was actualy based off of a play that Stephen Wilson, the guitarist and vocalist, wrote.
Here's some metal concept albums:

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2
Dementia32 Wrote:Bowie's released a couple of concept albums in his career. Of course, that probably classifies as classic rock and that's not really what you're looking for anyway.

Tori Amos released Scarlet's Walk back in 2002. It was a concept album based upon the main character, Scarlet, and her travels through America after the events of 9/11. Decent album too.

Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero was centered around the impact of our government's policies in the future or something like that. I don't know. I didn't care for the album and never gave it much attention.

The Hold Steady's Boys and Girls in America was at least a loose concept album.

Other than that, I'm drawing a blank and am really only thinking about examples from classic rock.

Separation Sunday is more notable as a concept album and a very very good one it is too

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good albums by bad artists manicminer 1 1,243 24-02-2014, 07:25
Last Post: jazzboCR
  What is the total albums in your possession? AustinAbelFrank 13 1,349 20-02-2014, 01:57
  The 7 least anticipated albums of 2012! lol TraceNspace 10 1,107 18-02-2014, 07:30
  Biggest selling albums Jerome 14 1,461 18-02-2014, 07:13
  Albums where you like every track Jerome 9 1,509 18-02-2014, 05:59
  German Concept Laptop OKCATHY1 0 625 04-06-2011, 04:46
Last Post: OKCATHY1
  What is the total albums in your possession? Drealm 6 878 04-12-2009, 01:15
Last Post: ambernector
  Vote for the best British albums edkemp 0 1,194 28-03-2008, 15:19
Last Post: edkemp