Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do you start off a song?
I personally have never written a song that includes lyrics (nor do I intend to), however, I try to start off with a great melody line, then create a bass line that fits into it, then include a drumbeat, add extra effects and verses, then I spend hours making fine adjustments to make it as good as it can.
A song should just start with the first thing that pops into your head, that is, if you like the first thing that pops in your head. Depending on what kind of music you write, I tend to write more grunge and punk music just by the lyrics I can kind of see how it would sound, I'm a beginner cut me some slack haha. Anyways, for me my songs start pretty crazy and dramatic. Like a lot of emotion just in those first few lines to really get the show rollin. But I guess, anything that you feel is a good starter. I usually am better ending songs then starting them.
Sometimes I start with a lick or chord progression I like and build from that... sometimes a lyric is the starting point, and sometimes, it all just seems to come out at once. Those times happen least often.
You can live in staunch denile and mark me as your enemy, but I'm just a voice among the throng who want a brighter destiny, and say with me, "We are the New America!" -Greg Graffin
gater Wrote:Sometimes I start with a lick or chord progression I like and build from that... sometimes a lyric is the starting point, and sometimes, it all just seems to come out at once. Those times happen least often.

Those times are normally the best (when it all arrives at once). Curious as to what your music sounds like. Care to post any here or provide a link to some tracks?
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
yes, i'd be interested in that also...
would have to agree with D&D - whatever pops into your head first I would have thought! I guess its like writing a book or story? You just write down all the things relating to what you are thinking about, then worry about editing etc etc etc...
Sometimes i do first is the music and sometimes the lyrics instead. But i think its either of the two can go first.
Usually by counting to 4 in the tempo the song requires... Buwahahahahaha!
You can live in staunch denile and mark me as your enemy, but I'm just a voice among the throng who want a brighter destiny, and say with me, "We are the New America!" -Greg Graffin
I like to start off songs with improvised orchestral blasts involving my whole group, other times it can start with one instrument where everyone else follows it. Then again I mainly do exclusively real-time composition (or improvisation) in music, so I get the feeling that most people don't take these methods.
I tend to start them off with an acoustic guitar, piano, or distant strings, usually the arpeggiated chords of the main theme, and perhaps pieces of the melody from the main theme. But that's a slow buildup. Probably because I tend to write "epic" things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you write songs? How do you start and don't give up too soon? Natalia Sanderson 2 744 29-12-2016, 12:04
Last Post: Jerome
  Which song lyrics do you like the best? Ledzepp 35 10,606 27-09-2016, 19:51
Last Post: oldies65
  Khaled Ajashi new own Song! LittleDun 0 344 25-09-2016, 02:32
Last Post: LittleDun
  Instrumental. New Song. Curious 0 897 21-03-2016, 09:58
Last Post: Curious
  New song we finished a couple weeks ago... Thoughts? good or bad. aurora4dth 3 1,453 27-02-2016, 10:51
Last Post: Jerome
  2016 French song Ozamindia 0 823 14-01-2016, 12:46
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Please check out this video of a new song that i wrote newriot 1 1,493 14-01-2016, 12:44
  Original song :))) MAYAN 1 1,037 14-01-2016, 12:43
  Original song! KahanoBeats_Bros - Stormy Night KahanoBeats_Bros 0 992 27-08-2015, 18:39
Last Post: KahanoBeats_Bros
  Inmotion's first song - feedback greatly appreciated! Tzirhk 2 1,248 07-08-2015, 16:53
Last Post: Cali5