Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do you start off a song?
Nymerriu Wrote:I tend to start them off with an acoustic guitar, piano, or distant strings, usually the arpeggiated chords of the main theme, and perhaps pieces of the melody from the main theme. But that's a slow buildup. Probably because I tend to write "epic" things.

Where can we get to hear some of these epic pieces?
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
When you start a song it really is a personal choice. Sometimes the music goes first or sometimes the lyrics is prioritized. Atleast you must know some tips on songwriting and here's a few

http://www.tunog.org/index.php/news/20-s...-structure

http://www.tunog.org/index.php/news/21-s...ng-lyrical

:biggrin:
I really have been into the underground stuff lately I can't get enough of it. There are so many emerging artists out their with great talent its just great to see what everybody comes up with. I go to myflashstore. Its a website that allows people to post their beats for others to listen to without fear of them being stolen. Its actually quite a good system and theres a lot of great stuff their. For example I tested the site out to see the funcionality and I was impressed. They gave me a unique url of my choosing and allowed me to customize the player. Check it out and see what you think. My profile can be found at (myflashstore dot net slash beatsbydavid) and from their you can visit the community link and browse tons of underground talented sound.
It depends. Sometimes you may start with lyrics, almost like writing a poem, and then adding music to it. Or you can start with a good hook, melody line, etc... and build on that. The content of both music and lyrics can provide inspiration. Meaning, great lyrics can inspire a certain sound, feel, mood, which will direct you to the music part of the song. Conversely, music, such as piano, sax, etc..., can inspire certain thoughts, which will direct you to the lyric. Again, it just depends.
I used to be able to write a song off the top of my head without music.Now days I base my lyrics around a track I found. I miss the old days when I was able to create a melody in my head and tell a producer how I wanted to the track to sound. One day I will sit and try to do that ole school skill, it just takes so much more energy and effort:confused:
DiGiMusicLabelz Wrote:I used to be able to write a song off the top of my head without music.Now days I base my lyrics around a track I found. I miss the old days when I was able to create a melody in my head and tell a producer how I wanted to the track to sound. One day I will sit and try to do that ole school skill, it just takes so much more energy and effort:confused:

How do you attempt to start? Are you pulling ideas out of thin are or do you have a concept? I personally prefer to have an idea of where I want to take the song emotionally and then I write from there. I've noticed some friends do that as well. Or just try humming until a tune strikes you. Michael Jackson actually used the humming method.

Sincerely Pollyanna LINK REMOVED
I have started reading the first few posts on this forum, and you guys are talking about music like there is some sort of outline....and that kind of thing upsets me. If you want to write a song with a given outline, might as well put a wig on and call yourself "Hannah Montana". Depending on what you are going through right now or how your life is, just let it come from the heart. Music is the expression of life and feeling, through art, at least that is for me. I discovered myself through listening to and writing music. Although that is completely unheard of when you listen to music on the radio, you get more ideas along the lines of "YOLO" "Sex" "Party" "Drugs" "SWAG" "Break ALL THE RULEZ" (Yes with a "Z"). Yes I am attacking pop music, but not because I don't like the actual "Music", but because they portray their art in a way that makes the said emphasized. I believe that the majority of "bland tasteless noise" that you hear constantly, is ruining a generation of creative thinking, but that is a different conversation for a different time.

-

LINK REMOVED
Well for me both start together....!! I think it is different for diffferent people....
Consider becoming emotionally charged before writing. People tend to underestimate the power of energy when song writing. I also think you should write to an acoustic instrument like a piano or acoustic guitar. It allows you to disregard timing issues and emotional limitations by the "box" instrumentals within protools etc. THEN you record it. But it does NOT matter what comes first just make sure the emotional charge is their before you start.
Music is the heart of a song.so if correct music come once lyrics also come great

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you write songs? How do you start and don't give up too soon? Natalia Sanderson 2 833 29-12-2016, 12:04
Last Post: Jerome
  Which song lyrics do you like the best? Ledzepp 35 10,989 27-09-2016, 19:51
Last Post: oldies65
  Khaled Ajashi new own Song! LittleDun 0 417 25-09-2016, 02:32
Last Post: LittleDun
  Instrumental. New Song. Curious 0 966 21-03-2016, 09:58
Last Post: Curious
  New song we finished a couple weeks ago... Thoughts? good or bad. aurora4dth 3 1,531 27-02-2016, 10:51
Last Post: Jerome
  2016 French song Ozamindia 0 850 14-01-2016, 12:46
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Please check out this video of a new song that i wrote newriot 1 1,521 14-01-2016, 12:44
  Original song :))) MAYAN 1 1,064 14-01-2016, 12:43
  Original song! KahanoBeats_Bros - Stormy Night KahanoBeats_Bros 0 1,022 27-08-2015, 18:39
Last Post: KahanoBeats_Bros
  Inmotion's first song - feedback greatly appreciated! Tzirhk 2 1,274 07-08-2015, 16:53
Last Post: Cali5