Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyboard Or Midi?
I'm a musician and I currently own a Guitar and a blue yeti microphone and I usually cover songs or try some tunes of my own. My question is that I want to produce music now on my own. Should I buy a Keyboard or a Midi? What do I need?
Does a Midi also work as a keyboard for recording into the computer? I wont be performing live so thats not an concern
Please reply..
anyone please? Sad
our esteemed member Jerome would probably be the right member to comment here imurtaza, im sure when he reappears he WILL advise and answer your question.
imurtaza Wrote:I'm a musician and I currently own a Guitar and a blue yeti microphone and I usually cover songs or try some tunes of my own. My question is that I want to produce music now on my own. Should I buy a Keyboard or a Midi? What do I need?
Does a Midi also work as a keyboard for recording into the computer? I wont be performing live so thats not an concern
Please reply..

You ask - should I buy a midi or a keyboard. The answer is - buy an 88 key midi keyboard. There are many types out there. My main midi keyboard is a Roland A37. It's quite old now but still reliable. You will need an audio interface that has an input for your guitar (high impedance) and midi inputs as well. A powerful PC with a good set of near field monitors and you are good to go. A full scale midi keyboard will allow you to do just about anything. Just add imagination.

I would also advise buying Paul White's 'The Producer's Manual'. He is the editor of Sound on Sound magazine. He has done many reviews of the products he mentions in the book, so he knows what he is talking about.

A last point - MIDI is a protocol - a language used between midi devices (or controllers). You can't buy a 'midi' as such, only a device that is midi-enabled, like a keyboard, wind controller or midi enabled guitar etc. etc.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Jerome Wrote:You ask - should I buy a midi or a keyboard. The answer is - buy an 88 key midi keyboard. There are many types out there. My main midi keyboard is a Roland A37. It's quite old now but still reliable. You will need an audio interface that has an input for your guitar (high impedance) and midi inputs as well. A powerful PC with a good set of near field monitors and you are good to go. A full scale midi keyboard will allow you to do just about anything. Just add imagination.

I would also advise buying Paul White's 'The Producer's Manual'. He is the editor of Sound on Sound magazine. He has done many reviews of the products he mentions in the book, so he knows what he is talking about.

A last point - MIDI is a protocol - a language used between midi devices (or controllers). You can't buy a 'midi' as such, only a device that is midi-enabled, like a keyboard, wind controller or midi enabled guitar etc. etc.

Thats pretty much useful information brother thanks for the help. I record my guitar via the Blue Yeti so i Dont think so i'd be buying an audio interface card but if it is a necessity then i guess that would be pretty much off budget for me Sad
Always go MIDI it allows you to syncronise flawlessly with little effort compared to keyboard sound. I would recommend a MIDI keyboard that plugs into your USB port on your computer. They usually come with a software of pre-loaded sound banks. The room for advancement is endless as you can expand your sound banks and functionalities of music manipulation with VST plugins. Don't limit your self go for the gold. Oh and if you want some help or collaboration visit the community forums on myflashstore.net. My page is myflashstore.net/beatsbydavid I will be happy to assist you with any questions that you might have reguarding installation or usage. I have had a lot of time to practice! Thanks
Hey i am not try properly any music instrument. But my friend have keyboard piano, so i try my skills on it.
Be very wary of synchronising music perfectly (quantisation) as it can suck the life out of a performance. Try to retain the human feel in your music. Computers and midi can kill the dynamics of a musical performance if everything is matched up to perfection, especially drums.
imurtaza Wrote:I'm a musician and I currently own a Guitar and a blue yeti microphone and I usually cover songs or try some tunes of my own. My question is that I want to produce music now on my own. Should I buy a Keyboard or a Midi? What do I need?
Does a Midi also work as a keyboard for recording into the computer?

Did you end up going the MIDI route? If so, which DAW do you use? I've just started using MAGIX's music software and a second hand M-Audio USB keyboard. So far so good.
MAGIX's Samplitude ProX program is exceptionally good. It uses object-oriented programming and as a result is incredibly fast compared to other programs. As an example, loading a 50 track project in Sonar (which I also use but mainly for MIDI) will take minutes to complete. Samplitude does it in seconds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ive just bought a keyboard Mrrusty1 5 1,137 23-05-2012, 13:49
Last Post: Mrrusty1