Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Just got my copy of Oxygene 3 and have to say it disappoints. There are moments of the old Jarre brilliance but as an album it is totally disjointed and it just does not come across as a cohesive work. Oh well, there's always the original to go back to. My rating out of 10 - a 3 at best. 70 percent filler and 30 percent listenable. A money-making exercise. Just like Floyd's 'The Endless River'.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I hear you, and eel for you mate, I get that a lot with my favourite established artists almost all of the time nowadays...

but I haven't made up my mind whether the actual product is below par or whether I hyped it up too much in expectation prior to buying it (my jury is still out on it)

MH seems to think most of the time I hype up the cd too much, thus it will never meet my expectations, he also told me to "expect nothing and you can only enjoy it"
When oxgene the original was released, it was a very different sound from what we were used to hearing on the radio. Over the years though we have got used to that kind of sound. I think Jean-Michel Jarre's music has dated more than that of many other pioneers of electronic music, and is possibly why the new album seems disappointing. This is only a theory; I have not heard the new one, so can't offer an opinion on it.

I was listening the other day to one of my cassettes with stuff recorded from radio in the 1980's. There were some snippets from a JMJ live performance, including some pieces from Zoolook, an album that seemed to get a bit overlooked at the time. I'd say it's more experimental than most of his well-known stuff, but I was quite enjoying it, in fact more than I remembered enjoying it back in the day.
Oxygene 14 - not great
Oxygene 15 - so-so
Oxygene 16 - not great
Oxygene 17 - great track
Oxygene 18 - good in parts
Oxygene 19 - not great - very techno-sounding to me - atmospheric parts are quite good.
Oxygene 20 - magnificent outro to the trilogy - my favourite from the album.
Just realised that my favourite track from all three Oxygene releases is always the last track on the album Oxygene 6, Oxygene 13 & Oxygene 20. Must be a reason for that??? They all have a funeral type atmospheric sound to them??!!??
bob_32_116 Wrote:When oxgene the original was released, it was a very different sound from what we were used to hearing on the radio. Over the years though we have got used to that kind of sound. I think Jean-Michel Jarre's music has dated more than that of many other pioneers of electronic music, and is possibly why the new album seems disappointing. This is only a theory; I have not heard the new one, so can't offer an opinion on it.

I was listening the other day to one of my cassettes with stuff recorded from radio in the 1980's. There were some snippets from a JMJ live performance, including some pieces from Zoolook, an album that seemed to get a bit overlooked at the time. I'd say it's more experimental than most of his well-known stuff, but I was quite enjoying it, in fact more than I remembered enjoying it back in the day.

I was never very fond of Zoolook - maybe I should revisit it. One thing I do know is that it was quite different from what everyone else was doing. He was really pushing the boundaries with that one.
Jerome Wrote:Just got my copy of Oxygene 3 and have to say it disappoints. There are moments of the old Jarre brilliance but as an album it is totally disjointed and it just does not come across as a cohesive work. Oh well, there's always the original to go back to. My rating out of 10 - a 3 at best. 70 percent filler and 30 percent listenable. A money-making exercise. Just like Floyd's 'The Endless River'.

An update - I have been playing Oxy 3 quite a lot over the last few days in an attempt to appreciate it a little better, but I always arrive at the same conclusion - it DOES have some interesting bits but it comes across as something that was thrown together very quickly - no real thread through the work - something I always admired JMJ for. So I am sticking with my original rating of 3/10.

Sorry Uncle Jean but you really should have done better than this considering all the means at your disposal. You are capable of a lot more. Now go and do your homework and create Equinoxe 2. Oxygene is truly over.
bob_32_116 Wrote:When oxgene the original was released, it was a very different sound from what we were used to hearing on the radio. Over the years though we have got used to that kind of sound. I think Jean-Michel Jarre's music has dated more than that of many other pioneers of electronic music, and is possibly why the new album seems disappointing. This is only a theory; I have not heard the new one, so can't offer an opinion on it.

I hear you Bob, but for me Oxygene (the original) still sounds way ahead of what anyone else has done to date - it does not sound dated to me at all. Oxy 7-13 was a modern take on the original Oxy and I quite like it - has some wonderful atmospheric bits and some really original concepts. Great rhythmic structures. Oxy 3 just does not 'complete' the series for me. It lacks direction and musical concept. Has some good bits but to me it's like he did not really know what he was going to do. I do know that he gave himself a period of about 6 weeks to compose the thing and I think that's where he made his mistake. You can't force music. You either have an idea or you don't. Ah well, that's just one opinion on the album - I am sure there are many who think it's classic JMJ but I just don't happen to be one of them. I would like to see him compose a new work - not related to any other album - a completely new approach/composition.
Not sure if this one is in the right thread , but normally Avicii is considered EMD... but IMO some of his songs are more like pop or something else than EMD...
Anyway, this is a prerelease of a song - recorded during a live concert I guess - from a forthcoming album... expected sometime during the early 2017...
Not his best but still a quite good one

[video=youtube_share;fnUK3BluDAo]http://youtu.be/fnUK3BluDAo[/video]
Uncle Klaus in fine form - https://youtu.be/esGPTzkuFNk