Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
The Essential Tangerine Dream - 6 tracks from various albums - a journey through their career. What a long strange trip it's been.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Breidablik – Penumbra

[Image: R-11157597-1510930278-1330.jpeg.jpg]

Can’t remember how I stumbled over this but I think I bookmarked it for listening because I was interested in the cover art, and have lately been enjoying music of Nordic origin so hoping to continue the trend. Breidablik is a one man project by Morton Birkeland Nielsen, and what he does is categorised as electronic prog (instrumental). This is his most recent release and from the snippets I’ve heard of his other stuff, the most compelling. I like the title, Penumbra, which fits the quite spacey sounds here very well. It’s not melodic and will have limited appeal on this board, I should think, but for some reason, I keep wanting to listen to it – so that’s what I’m doing.

There is diddly available on YouTube or pretty much anywhere else except bandcamp, as far as I can tell. It appears to be available as a download or as transparent vinyl with gatefold cover, limited to 300 copies – I’ll bet those are beautiful.

https://breidablik.bandcamp.com/album/penumbra
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

(04-12-2017, 16:05)Ruby Wrote: Breidablik – Penumbra

[Image: R-11157597-1510930278-1330.jpeg.jpg]

Can’t remember how I stumbled over this but I think I bookmarked it for listening because I was interested in the cover art, and have lately been enjoying music of Nordic origin so hoping to continue the trend. Breidablik is a one man project by Morton Birkeland Nielsen, and what he does is categorised as electronic prog (instrumental). This is his most recent release and from the snippets I’ve heard of his other stuff, the most compelling. I like the title, Penumbra, which fits the quite spacey sounds here very well. It’s not melodic and will have limited appeal on this board, I should think, but for some reason, I keep wanting to listen to it – so that’s what I’m doing.

There is diddly available on YouTube or pretty much anywhere else except bandcamp, as far as I can tell. It appears to be available as a download or as transparent vinyl with gatefold cover, limited to 300 copies – I’ll bet those are beautiful.

https://breidablik.bandcamp.com/album/penumbra

Must check this one out. Thx for the heads-up Ruby.
^You're most welcome Jerome. I'd be interested to know what you make of this.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Busy listening to this at the moment. First part seems discordant and gloomy and then this 'walking' motif appears and the mood brightens up. Now drifting off into a surreal landscape. Next comes pulsing keys, very reminiscent of Tangerine Dream's early work - so far so good. Some choral type stuff going on in the background now, powerful stuff. Some synth bass sweeps in and out with a church organ like sound sitting behind the pulsing bits - now some more synth sweeps, menacing sort of sound, some synth generated bird-like calls - he makes good use of effects - does not overdo it. Ring modulation-type effect now weaving in and out. The music is constantly changing - keeps up the interest. Dark sound now predominant - some bell sounds and the church organ again - very effective. Lone bell and synth now very much to the fore - a synth sound very much like one of JMJ's albums, some wind effect & thunder - more TD type stuff coming in - piece is wandering off in a different direction now and a vocal type effect creates a different mood, some bass lines coming in as well - whole thing is building up somewhat - a more rhythmic type section coming in with different pads hopping in and out. Quite like this section. Reminds me of White Eagle by TD. Rhythmic section has faded away into swirling synths and church organ again - original motif is back again - a nice return to consolidate the piece and bring the listener back to where he once was - a lone bell like sound and now some choral synth pad coming in to lift the piece a bit - very clever use of sounds in this - I like it. Will listen to the next track later today. Might buy this if I like the other three tracks as well. Great music for just chilling out with. Perfect background stuff when you are reading a book or something.
^^
nice review J
written like a true Record Label Executive

Strange to see you in this neck of the woods!
^^I agree with MH. A thorough assessment! I don’t have a clue how it’s all put together (struggling to wrap my head around photoshop, lol!), but I like the sounds he’s generated and although they are not melodic, per se, I found myself going back for more. Interesting – almost as though the brain wants to compute a different listening, or comprehension pathway. Which may be gobbledygook, of course …

Not gobbledygook at all. Makes perfect sense. The one criticism I have of his work is the lack of melody - I like ambient stuff but I also like a bit of melody interspersed with that otherwise it runs the risk of becoming aural wallpaper.
^Fair comment.