Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turmoil in australian politics
man!, what a day in political circles....

three and a half years ago Kevin Rudd was elected as Prime Minister here, several months later Julia Gillard deposed him of his leadership...
a year and a half ago Rudd thought he had the numbers to depose her and regain his job as Labor Prime Minister(same as Democrats in US)...
he failed,
election was called...the Labor Party came second behind the Liberal/National Coalition(republicans for you Yankees!)..but made it back into power with the help of indipendants and minority parties...
has been talk of rumblings in the party ever since, PM Gillard called a new election a few months ago, due to be held in September this year...all the polls have consistantly showed the Labor Party are expected to lose up to 70% of their seats in parliament...
due to the rumblings and faction fighting lately, PM Julia Gillard,today, called for an end to the unrest and challenged any member of the Labor Party to stand up and be counted at 7pm tonight and challenge her for her job under the understanding that whoever loses immediately resigns from parliament and the Labor Party...(all this eight weeks out from an election mind you!?!)...
Kevin Rudd accepts the challenge....
the result?....
rudd had the numbers and is now officially the new(well again) Prime Minister of Australia and ex-PM Gillard has now resinged from parliament....

my view:

neither of those two are capable of running a party IMO....
and the Labor Party should not be allowed to govern over a country when they cant control themselves or govern their own party with unity....
this all looks good for the Lib's(republicans) in september....

bring on the election or we'll have uncertainty within business circles which will ultimately lead us down the road to recession...BTW, Australia didnt suffer during the last Global Financial Crisis due to policies put into place by our last great Prime Minister John howard and the Liberal/National coalition!

i hope Tony Abbott and the conservative opposition party get elected soon!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I love political turmoil here
gives me a reason to watch the news

I agree that and the Kardashians !...lol
Music Head Wrote:I love political turmoil here
gives me a reason to watch the news
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Man this is bizarre to say the least ! According to a national news political pundit this occurs in Australia from time to time. I'm wondering if Gillard's hard line stance on immigrants had any effect on the outcome ? Labor Party like New Democrats here are a party built with ethnic citizens and draw a lot of support from immigrants, I would think.
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:man!, what a day in political circles....

three and a half years ago Kevin Rudd was elected as Prime Minister here, several months later Julia Gillard deposed him of his leadership...
a year and a half ago Rudd thought he had the numbers to depose her and regain his job as Labor Prime Minister(same as Democrats in US)...
he failed,
election was called...the Labor Party came second behind the Liberal/National Coalition(republicans for you Yankees!)..but made it back into power with the help of indipendants and minority parties...
has been talk of rumblings in the party ever since, PM Gillard called a new election a few months ago, due to be held in September this year...all the polls have consistantly showed the Labor Party are expected to lose up to 70% of their seats in parliament...
due to the rumblings and faction fighting lately, PM Julia Gillard,today, called for an end to the unrest and challenged any member of the Labor Party to stand up and be counted at 7pm tonight and challenge her for her job under the understanding that whoever loses immediately resigns from parliament and the Labor Party...(all this eight weeks out from an election mind you!?!)...
Kevin Rudd accepts the challenge....
the result?....
rudd had the numbers and is now officially the new(well again) Prime Minister of Australia and ex-PM Gillard has now resinged from parliament....

my view:

neither of those two are capable of running a party IMO....
and the Labor Party should not be allowed to govern over a country when they cant control themselves or govern their own party with unity....
this all looks good for the Lib's(republicans) in september....

bring on the election or we'll have uncertainty within business circles which will ultimately lead us down the road to recession...BTW, Australia didnt suffer during the last Global Financial Crisis due to policies put into place by our last great Prime Minister John howard and the Liberal/National coalition!

i hope Tony Abbott and the conservative opposition party get elected soon!
SteveO Wrote:Man this is bizarre to say the least ! According to a national news political pundit this occurs in Australia from time to time. I'm wondering if Gillard's hard line stance on immigrants had any effect on the outcome ? Labor Party like New Democrats here are a party built with ethnic citizens and draw a lot of support from immigrants, I would think.

is that what youre papers are saying about her????
because i beg to differ SteveO....Gillard is "soft" when it comes to immigration and refugees, so was Rudd for that matter. we have had more refugee boats and refugees allowed to come here since Gillard/Rudd came to power than at any time in the last thirty years(since the whole Nam thing)
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

My brother emailed me a tirade by Gillard whereby she says that immigrants have to assimilate and speak English ...so on and so forth...that's all. I deleted the email...which I hadn't now ! I just thought maybe her tirade caused some controversary down under.
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:is that what youre papers are saying about her????
because i beg to differ SteveO....Gillard is "soft" when it comes to immigration and refugees, so was Rudd for that matter. we have had more refugee boats and refugees allowed to come here since Gillard/Rudd came to power than at any time in the last thirty years(since the whole Nam thing)
no not really SteveO....
leaders of all the minority groups out here supported the idea...and rightfully so IMO, remember the old saying, "when in rome do as the romans do"?

I agree Crazy mate ! Assimilation in Canada is nonexistant, I'm afraid...for the most part !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Politics Music Head 60 8,908 22-08-2021, 10:33
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Politics Music Head 2,210 263,636 25-04-2019, 12:49
  Chris Brown denied Australian Visa.... CRAZY-HORSE 0 848 27-09-2015, 01:51
  Tragedy in Australian cricket.... CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,217 29-11-2014, 18:26
Last Post: Big Ears
  Springsteen's '14 Australian tour jazzboCR 2 964 31-10-2014, 16:03
Last Post: jazzboCR