Music Discussion
Rolf Harris - Printable Version

+- Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com)
+-- Forum: Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Music (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Rolf Harris (/showthread.php?tid=11030)

Pages: 1 2

Rolf Harris - CRAZY-HORSE - 30-06-2014

[Image: 0107_harris_tab_sp.jpg]

ROLF HARRIS GUILTY

Aussie entertainer guilty of child sex-crimes

An Australian voice yelled out "sinister pervert" as Rolf Harris left a London court after being found guilty of indecently assaulting four girls over almost two decades.
One of his victims was just seven or eight years old at the time.
Harris was crestfallen as he walked slowly from Southwark Crown Court on Monday after a jury unanimously found him guilty of all 12 charges.
The 84-year-old - holding hands with his wife Alwen and daughter Bindi - remained silent as reporters fired questions at him.
An Australian voice yelled out: "What have you got to say for yourself Harris?"
That was followed by: "Sinister pervert."

Those two words were how prosecutor Sasha Wass QC described Harris in her closing address almost three weeks ago. On Monday the jury agreed with her.
Deputy chief crown prosecutor Jenny Hopkins praised the victims' bravery in coming forward to take on the star.
"Rolf Harris used his status and position as a world-famous children's entertainer to sexually assault young girls over a period spanning 18 years," Ms Hopkins told a huge media pack outside the court.
"The victims in this case have suffered in silence for many years and have only recently found the courage to come forward. I would like to pay tribute to the bravery they displayed."
Harris on Monday sat unmoving in the dock as the foreman of the jury read out "guilty" 12 times.
The Australian had been waiting to hear his fate for eight days. The jury deliberated for almost 38 hours in total.
Each of the indecent assault charges carries a maximum penalty of two years in jail.
Harris is due to be sentenced on Friday.
Justice Nigel Sweeney made it clear he can expect to go to jail.
"Given the conviction on all 12 counts, it's inevitable that the type of sentence uppermost in the court's mind is a custodial sentence," the judge said.
Harris listened impassively throughout with the aid of a hearing loop.
Only after the jurors had left the court did Harris finally stand up. He sipped from a plastic cup and then left the dock.
The one-time royal favourite disappeared into a small room with his legal team before being joined by Alwen and Bindi.
Harris's daughter broke down in tears after the verdicts were delivered and was consoled by the entertainer's long-time agent Jan Kennedy.
Harris in 2013 was charged with 12 counts of indecent assault against four girls in the UK between 1968 and 1986.
The main complainant was a childhood friend of Bindi.
The jury found the performer twice abused the teenager at her own home in southeast London and, subsequently, on another two occasions at his residence in Bray west of the capital.
The victim was under 16 when the incidents occurred between 1979 and early 1981.
Harris also indecently assaulted her in his own swimming pool when she was 19.
The jury rejected the entertainer's claim that he'd had a 10-year consensual affair with his daughter's friend that started after she turned 18.
Harris was also found guilty of assaulting Australian woman Tonya Lee at a London pub in 1986 when she was 15.
Ms Lee had travelled to the UK with a youth theatre group when Harris asked her to sit on his lap after he'd watched one of their shows. He then touched her crotch area.
The star subsequently groped her breast and digitally penetrated Ms Lee outside a bathroom where she'd fled to escape the first assault.
Harris, the jury found, also assaulted a seven or eight-year-old girl in the late 1960s at a community centre near Portsmouth.
She'd gone on stage to get Harris's autograph but was "aggressively and forcefully" groped between her legs, the victim told the court.
Harris was further found guilty of indecently assaulting a teenage waitress at a celebrity event in Cambridge in the mid-1970s.
She'd been drawn out of a marquee by the sounds of dogs and saw Harris crouched down on all fours barking at a terrier.
He subsequently put his arm around the teenager before "firmly" groping her bottom.
Another six women gave supporting evidence during the eight-week trial that Harris abused them in Australia, New Zealand and Malta between 1969 and 1991.
Harris wasn't charged over those alleged incidents because they occurred outside the UK.
Jurors didn't get to hear from a further nine women who claim the entertainer harassed them, including one alleged victim who says she was groped on live TV.
Justice Sweeney on Monday thanked the jurors for their service.
He said they'd conducted themselves in an exemplary fashion with scrupulous attention to their duties.
Harris's legal team have 28 days to lodge an appeal on his behalf.
A spokesman for the Harris family said no one, including the former star's lawyers, agents or friends, would be making "any public comments or be available for interview either here or in Australia".
Harris himself certainly wasn't commenting outside court as he climbed in a chauffeur-driven black Audi alongside Alwen and Bindi.
Reporters continued to ask if he would apologise to his victims until the car sped off from Southwark Crown Court.
He'll return one final time on Friday to be sentenced, and, almost certainly, jailed.

Rolf Harris - CRAZY-HORSE - 30-06-2014

my opinion...

i grew up watching and listening to Rolf on UK tv and also here in Australia....
it makes your stomach churn when you find out that one of the people you grew up watching and admire for their mutli talented skills turns out to be what Rolf Harris is!
all through the trial i was thinking "this cant be true,not Rolf surely??", but now with a jury of twelve people all saying he is guilty of these charges i have to hang my head
and wonder..."who else?" especially after another UK tv icon Jimmy Saville was named the worst pedo in UK history by Scotland Yard police...
then there is 1970s Glam Rock star Gary Glitter...who once again is facing a string of charges relating to raping young girls(he's already been jailed twice for similar behaviour)!

i guess my first course of action after work today is to get rid of my Rolf Harris singles as i did my Gary Glitter singles/albums when he was found guilty years ago...!
sorry, but with criminal offenses i draw the line at "child sex perverted sick minded m#tha fucka's".....!!!!!!

so after you guys have read the thread and maybe commented on it, i will remove his name from my vocab, until another high profile entertainer i once liked happens to be arrested
and found guilty of similar crimes against children!

Rolf Harris - jazzboCR - 01-07-2014

These 4 women had the courage to come forward, knowing the questions they'd get asked, knowing the assaults on their character they'd suffer on the record. How many women (and NO BLAME ATTACHES) didn't have such courage? These monsters, these psychopaths don't just do it a few times, they at least strongly attempt every time. He'll die in prison, and if he's anywhere close to GenPop, real soon.
One question--Why did it take so long (28 years after the last charged assault)? Not a blame question, a perplexed question...

Rolf Harris - CRAZY-HORSE - 01-07-2014

i think the women spent years in counselling and some recovering from alcohol abuse due to the assaults jazzbo...
there's dozens of women who have cases still to go to court also....
and i guess its reallyover the last decade and a half that this sort of thing has come out in the open and people realise now the victims were not to blame for what happened to them...

its a shame really, because thousands upon thousands of people my age grew up watching Rolf on tv etc...we idolised him,but not any more!
i,personally, was hoping initially that he was innocent, but too many people with the same stories from different walks of life all say the same thing about him...

if you are unaware who Rolf Harris is jazzbo...
he was singed to parlaphone records a week before the Beatles, George Martin produced a lot of his early material also...
Ringo became a close friend of his throught he years and owns a huge collection of Rolf's "wobble boards"...
Rolf even appeared on the very first Beatle 'christmas message' to fans in 1963.

like you said...those guys just dont do that sort of thing a 'few times'...they are habitual predators and dont stop until they are caught or die...like Jimmy Saville(BBC tv presenter, 'sir' and charity raiser), his link is below if youre interested in it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Saville

what isnt in the wiki page for Savile is the latest update from Scotland Yard Police whereby they now have proof Savile had sex with dead children in the lorgues of children's hospitals and stole their possessions as well...
the British Health Minister issued a public appology for his victims in the UK Parliament only last week in regards to these matters(and as we all know, Governments dont appologise for no reason!)

Rolf Harris - Ruby - 01-07-2014

We listened to Rolf Harris as children - supposedly good, clean fun. How depraved. Sickening.

Rolf Harris - Music Head - 01-07-2014

no more freedom for you, sport

Rolf Harris - SteveO - 01-07-2014

The courts move along at a snail's pace...look at the long drawn out trial of Pistorius!
jazzboCR Wrote:These 4 women had the courage to come forward, knowing the questions they'd get asked, knowing the assaults on their character they'd suffer on the record. How many women (and NO BLAME ATTACHES) didn't have such courage? These monsters, these psychopaths don't just do it a few times, they at least strongly attempt every time. He'll die in prison, and if he's anywhere close to GenPop, real soon.
One question--Why did it take so long (28 years after the last charged assault)? Not a blame question, a perplexed question...

Rolf Harris - SteveO - 01-07-2014

F***kin' sicko you are Harris! You can rot in hell!

Rolf Harris - jazzboCR - 01-07-2014

Due to 2 novelty songs crossing the Big Pond (novelty to our ears anyway--I like "Waltzing Matilda", especially by Tom Waits q.v. *), I'm aware of that guy (won't even use his name). An unfortunate side-effect that comes is his songs (done by anybody) would be a reminder of his depravity--"baby and the bathwater" thingie. Damnable shame but there you are. I truly hope this casts no pall over the next Australia Day. On of the great regrets I have is turning my back on Australia's hospitality by not going there on R&R from Viet Nam. Fool that I am, I went to Bangkok and Singapore--alright in their way but just not the same. No disrespect meant, mates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOfyHjRONLo

* Not at all the same song--he just quotes from it in another song--it may horrify purists.

Rolf Harris - CRAZY-HORSE - 04-07-2014

ok...
for anyone interested or curious in what punishment Rolf Harris got...

he was found guilty on all 12 charges...he was sentenced to five years,nine months for his crimes,he must serve a minimum of three years before he can be parolled, which will take him to 87yrs of age if parolled and 90yrs of age if he serves his full term...so really theres a good chance he got a life sentence i guess...

here in Australia he has been stripped of the following:

1. his ARIA hall of fame award
2.his paintings have been removed from all galleries in which they currently hang
3. his plaques around various locations across this huge country have been removed
4. the Federal Govt is looking at stripping him of his "order of australia" medal

here in Perth,where he originally comes from he has had the following...

1.paintings removed from local municipality buildings
2.plaques removed from various locations around this city
3.statues from his childhood suburb of Bassendean are being removed this weekend
4. "bassendean city council" have revoked his "fellowship" status and his "keys to the city" rights
5.his childhood home,which was a tourist attraction has been removed from those "whats on in perth" tourist guides
6.his former school has removed his name from one of its buildings

in the UK they are apparently seeking approval from the Queen to have his OBE,CBE and MBE medals returned.