Music Discussion
Josephine Foster - Blood Rushing - Printable Version

+- Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com)
+-- Forum: Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Alternative (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Josephine Foster - Blood Rushing (/showthread.php?tid=7552)

Josephine Foster - Blood Rushing - Music Head - 24-09-2012

online listen
this is too weird for me
touches on opera at points
art rock I guess
sort of a Johanna Newsom voice
who I prefer watching to listening
not my thing but it may be yours
1.1 from me and a converted 2.4 from the pros at allmusic

from the album - Child Of God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu2_0UrpQ8Y

released Sept 18th, 2012

[Image: 51aJgJeJL%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg]

Bio - from allmusic

As a teen, Colorado-born singer/songwriter/guitarist Josephine Foster honed her vocal skills at weddings and
funerals. Her initial career aspirations leaned toward opera, but as she neared her twenties it was the music of Tin
Pan Alley and early British folk that became her muse, resulting in a series of demos that would eventually morph
into 2000's ukulele-heavy There Are Eyes Above and 2001's collection of children's songs entitled Little Life. She
eventually relocated to Chicago, where she spent her days as a singing teacher and her evenings performing with her
various bands, including Born Heller (a sparse and spooky duo featuring free jazz bassist Jason Ajemian) and the
Children's Hour (a whimsical indie pop band with fellow Windy City songwriter Andrew Bar).

Foster returned to her solo career for 2004's All the Leaves Are Gone, a ghostly and occasionally jarring collection
of folk-infused psychedelic rock tunes with her newly formed backing band, the Supposed. It was followed in 2005 by
the quiet, rustic, and bluesy Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You. A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, an acid-washed rendering of
19th century-style art songs culled from the works of Schubert, Schumann, and Brahms, was released in 2006, followed
by This Coming Gladness in 2008 and Graphic as a Star in 2009.

In 2010, Foster released Anda Jaleo, her first collaboration with singer/husband Victor Herrera. It was a new
version of Las Canciones Populares, a collection of folk songs first recorded by Federico García Lorca and La
Argentinita in 1931. The pair followed it up with Perlas in 2012, an analog, live-in-the-studio collection of
forgotten songs and poems drawn from Spanish folk traditions of Castile and the Basque, among other things. Four
months later, Foster released Blood Rushing, recorded in Colorado with her husband, the Entrance Band's Paz
Lenchantin, Heather Trost (A Hawk and a Hacksaw), and Ben Trimble (Fly Golden Eagle).

Album Review - from allmusic

After two recordings of Spanish folk songs with her partner Victor Herrero and his band, Josephine Foster returns to
songwriting for Blood Rushing, her third offering for Fire Records. Recorded in Colorado with producer Andrija Tokic
(Alabama Shakes), Foster’s band on the outing consists of Herrero and Foster (guitars); Paz Lenchantin (Indian
flute, bass, and violin); Heather Trost (violin, Indian violin, and jaw harp), and Ben Trimble (skin drums).
According to the artist, this recording is a ballet chante (sung ballet), a story within a story, about a heteronym
she created for herself called "Blushing." (The Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa had three of these unique
identities, and he wrote from their perspective styles all the time.) While the concept is intriguing, it’s the
songs and music that will matter to most listeners. Foster pulls one of her magic acts here, combining a range of
songs and styles that shouldn’t work together, but in that magnificent voice of hers, are seamless. There are
several organic, folk-flavored titles including the beautiful "Panorama Wide," with plucked and bowed violin,
Spanish guitar, hand drums, and Foster's voice (with Trost’s backing) hovering, swooping, soaring, and warbling.
"Child of God" balances the unmistakable sound of Creedence Clearwater Revival‘s "Proud Mary" with gospel and just
enough of the Velvet Underground to keep things completely off-kilter. The title track is the hinge piece of the
record. Foster sings in the first person as Blushing, her acoustic guitar her only accompaniment for the first verse
before being joined by percussion. Trost and Foster sing in the refrain "Her name is Blushing, you can hear her
blood rushing…." Violin, Herrero’s electric guitar, and a bass come through all breezy as Foster goes for the upper
end of her register and sends it over the top. “Geyser” is whacked-out, post-psych rock with screaming violin,
distorted electric guitar, organic percussion, and Foster setting her inner Yoko Ono free. Closer “Words Come Loose”
offers a meld of Pan-American rhythms, folk, and rock in a song that essentially underscores the shifting meaning of
the lyrics on the entire album. As lovely and sparse as Anda Jaleo and Perlas were, it is Blood Rushing that offers
us the most of Foster, as a singer, a singular songwriter, and an artful conceptualist.

Track Listing

1. Waterfall
2. Panorama Wide
3. Sacred Is The Star
4. Child Of God
5. Blood Rushing
6. The Wave of Love
7. O Stars
8. Geyser
9. Underwater Daughter
10. Words Come Loose

Josephine Foster - Blood Rushing - CRAZY-HORSE - 25-09-2012

i must admit that i do like the link, maybe a bit of a Joni Mitchell vocal type sound in there also???...not that im a big fan of Joni mind you.