Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nomination-Eddie Kendricks
i didnt even know Keep On Truckin' till I YT'd it after it was mentioned further up the thread
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

There are detailed and laborious write ups for most Hall of Fame inductees...check out the first one nominating The Beatles!
oldies65 Wrote:Guys, if you're gonna have a music hall of fame then you should know something about the artist nominated.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Ringo is far more popular than Eddie! He is somewhat famous!!!! Perhaps all of The Beatles should be nominated based on their solo careers?
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:We cant all know everything about every artist in the history of music
and it wouldn't be right to read a Wiki page on the artist to gauge if its warranted

IMO voting for Kendrick would be like voting for Ringo Starr as a solo artist
Paul, most certainly, Wings were one of the top five selling bands in the world in the 1970s, and from 70-84ish Macca as a whole was huge.

John, lets be honest, he wasn't a huge star outside America as a soloist, in act "imagine" really wasn't a huge, huge hit outside the US when first released.
infact "(just like) starting over" and his comeback album "double fantasy" were relative flops until he died, so i'd be borderline to vote or him as a solo artist.

George, made some very good records as a solo artist, probably the most intelligent of the Fab Four, but his music tended to, for the most part, be that of
a 'cult' following IMO, much the same as say Lou Reed, but Reed was far more influential in the scheme of things through the decades as a solo singer.
like John, it would be borderline for me to vote for him as a solo artist, and I have most of his solo output.

Ringo, once the hype of the Beatle breakup subsided, so did his career as a solo singer.

strange thing is, John, George and Ringo sold way more albums and singles worldwide from 70-73 than McCartney did,
it was the release of "band on the run" and the 74-75 world tour that really took Paul back to the forefront of music.

no SteveO, im not dissing or discrediting them as artists, im just reflecting their continued chart success after the split of The Beatles...
but then we look at the other side of the coin, I think probably 90% of other artists would have loved to have released the quality of material
and the success John and George achieved, also, theres a lot of artists who would have loved to achieve the early chart success Ringo enjoyed also,
like I said, the problem I have is that I believe the vast majority of their early 1970s success was based on The Beatles success because around 74ish
the three of them had a sharp decline in sales.

George did reinvent himself in the mid to late 1980s, his final couple of solo albums were brilliant IMO as were The Travelling Willbury's albums.

and Ringo still tours smallish venues to this day bringing joy and happiness to those who watch him perform and that's what music is all about...making people happy!

obviously Paul still sells out 50,000 plus stadiums all over the world year in year out so he is my obvious choice for the MH HoF
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Hall of Fame ...all 4 of them were or are definitely Famous! That's what I was getting at Crazy mate!Confusedmile:As for the prime substance of their music, no doubt Macca had a global influence. However John was the peace activist and the revolutionary and appealed to millions. George released some decent material...critics have cited his All Things Must Pass album as the best solo album among The Beatles.How can one really ignore the guitarist of The Beatles! I really don't have a favourite solo album by them. As for Ringo the jocular easy going jester of the band, still fairly popular and still tours.

I think Paul, John and George could easily be inducted into our HoF!
Excuse me but how did The Beatles work their way into a nomination for Eddie Kendricks??? The Beatles did their thing of course and I even have an album by them,but on terms of sheer talent, Eddie would sing any of em into the ground.
I consider The Beatles the vanguard of popular music! They wrote their own incredible timeless songs, played instruments proficiently and Paul and John were above average singers! I hold them in high esteem...just my subjective opinion...by the way Oldies what one album do you own by the Beatles?

Yes the reference to The Beatles is a bit off topic! However I only mentioned them because if you compare Eddie to The Beatles it's no contest...imho! Once again however music is very subjective so I am not criticising your love of Eddie, oldies!
The one Beatles LP is[Let It Be]...it's all good my friend, I'll keep nominating artist I feel are worthy...peace!
YES!!!!!! Oldies, nominate anyone you believe is worthy of being inducted into the MD Hall of Fame. I have entered Eddie in the pending section of the HoF...peace bro!

oldies65 Wrote:The one Beatles LP is[Let It Be]...it's all good my friend, I'll keep nominating artist I feel are worthy...peace!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nomination: Mark Knopfler Ruby 9 5,006 13-11-2016, 20:57
Last Post: MissNSporty
  Nomination: Queen C_woldt 9 4,423 27-10-2016, 15:39
Last Post: MFS
  Nomination- And Now Booker T.& The MG'S oldies65 1 2,797 25-09-2016, 16:32
Last Post: SteveO
  Neil diamond - nomination !!!! Md hall of fame SteveO 9 3,030 20-09-2016, 08:20
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Nomination- Smokey Robinson oldies65 3 1,748 03-09-2016, 21:00
  Nomination-Wilson Pickett oldies65 2 1,321 11-08-2016, 23:43
  Nomination: The Beatles SteveO 22 7,944 17-05-2016, 02:04
Last Post: Pharmcat
  Nomination: Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Tiggi 17 8,774 25-04-2016, 11:28
  Nomination-Lou Rawls oldies65 5 2,212 11-04-2016, 19:45
  Nomination-Jerry Butler oldies65 1 1,499 22-02-2016, 00:19