22-08-2011, 02:55
When someone who is or was a celebrity has or had bipolar disorder I take a special interest in their life-narrative. Having had to deal with this mental health issue for seven decades now, I find the many manifestations of it in peopleâs lives make a heuristic comparison and contrast with my own experience. So it was when Johnny OâKeefe: The Wild One was televised on ABC1[SUP]1[/SUP] I took note.-Ron Price with thanks to ABC1, 12:20-1:30 a.m. on 25/7/â11 and also televised at other times in the last several years here in Tasmania Australia.
You went to the USA in October â59
the same month and year I became
a Bahaâi. I knew nothing of you back
then, nor very little even after your
24 hits and all your work leading to
the establishment of the Australian
recording industry. All those nervous
breakdowns as they called your BPD[SUP]1[/SUP]
episodes awakened my interest. You
were in a psych-ward in August 1962
in Sydney as I started pioneering for
the Canadian Bahaâi community. What
a long story, Johnny: thank God I found
lithium and did not get into drugs & OH
or I might have also had an early demise.
[SUP]1 [/SUP]BPD=bipolar disorder was the name given to manic depression in 1980 after OâKeefe died(1978). Biographies of OâKeefe: The Wild One: The Life and Times of Johnny OâKeefe, Damian Johnstone, 2001; and The Official Johnny OâKeefe Story, John Bryden-Brown, 1982, as well as the mini-series The Johnny OâKeefe Story in 1986 all gave publicity to both OâKeefe and his BPD.
Ron Price
25 July 2011
You went to the USA in October â59
the same month and year I became
a Bahaâi. I knew nothing of you back
then, nor very little even after your
24 hits and all your work leading to
the establishment of the Australian
recording industry. All those nervous
breakdowns as they called your BPD[SUP]1[/SUP]
episodes awakened my interest. You
were in a psych-ward in August 1962
in Sydney as I started pioneering for
the Canadian Bahaâi community. What
a long story, Johnny: thank God I found
lithium and did not get into drugs & OH
or I might have also had an early demise.
[SUP]1 [/SUP]BPD=bipolar disorder was the name given to manic depression in 1980 after OâKeefe died(1978). Biographies of OâKeefe: The Wild One: The Life and Times of Johnny OâKeefe, Damian Johnstone, 2001; and The Official Johnny OâKeefe Story, John Bryden-Brown, 1982, as well as the mini-series The Johnny OâKeefe Story in 1986 all gave publicity to both OâKeefe and his BPD.
Ron Price
25 July 2011

