Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gotye "somebody that i used to know"
LMD Wrote:I keep giving this song a chance. I feel like I screwed myself with liking it. I didn't hear of it until one of my favorite bands did a quick little free cover just for fun, to promote the song more in contrast to some of the more popular music out there that's not very good. Now the original doesn't match up to the other band's version for me. Bias to the wrong version of the song, lols. >_<

I hate when that happens. I watch Glee so it actually happens a lot. I hear them cover a song, like it and the listen to the original and it just doesn't feel right. I still like it, but it's not the same.
personally ive only ever watched one episode of Glee...not for the stroyline but for the music, some tracks arent bad, and i dont like cover versions as a rule, but the positive thing about Glee is that a new generation of kids are listening to the old classics allbeit modern versions...
hopefully, some of them actually will interested in seeking out the original versions and checking out artists they would never have listened to...and i guess it does work as occasionally after the Glee Cast covers a song i see a spike in sales of the originals on itunes....

so i guess it does its job.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:personally ive only ever watched one episode of Glee...not for the stroyline but for the music, some tracks arent bad, and i dont like cover versions as a rule, but the positive thing about Glee is that a new generation of kids are listening to the old classics allbeit modern versions...
hopefully, some of them actually will interested in seeking out the original versions and checking out artists they would never have listened to...and i guess it does work as occasionally after the Glee Cast covers a song i see a spike in sales of the originals on itunes....

so i guess it does its job.

What I've found with Glee is that generally either the story line is good or the music is good. I'll normally hate one and just fast forward to get to whatever part it is that's good that week.

If I like a song though, I definitely check out the original. And I think Glee does work in that respect. I haven't checked sales or anything, but generally after an episode airs, if you go to the original song on youtube it'll be flooded with people saying how much they love the song and Glee led them there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gotye/Star Wars spoof CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,285 11-07-2012, 17:02
Last Post: TraceNspace
  Gotye #1 on Billboard charts CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,189 20-04-2012, 21:51
Last Post: hatchetman