Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is a music enthusiast to do ?
R_burke Wrote:All of which takes time, but I love music of all types, have over 6,000 CDs in my collection and it grows weekly.

Do you get weirdos asking "But do you actually listen to them all ??"

Hate that...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Tiggi Wrote:Do you get weirdos asking "But do you actually listen to them all ??"

Hate that...
Even I get that and I don't have 6,000. I get it about my books too 'Have you read all these?'
Not to offend anyone but is it more of a music collection thing than a true listening thing...it would take you forever to listen intently to even 1,000 cds or is it a passion for collecting as for the most part my case (close to 900 records and same numer approx. in cds plus other mediums,,,cassettes, videos,etc,) I would bet I have several that I haven't really listened to !!!!

However having said that, I do not hesitate in the least in buying new CDs from my favorite CD store and therefore increasing my collection because now I can control completely what I want to listen to from my fairly vast collection !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Collecting does enter into the equation, but only insofar as it's exploration, really.

Having a huge library of stuff to listen to is one of my fave things in life (after Mrs Tiggi, of course...)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
SteveO Wrote:Not to offend anyone but is it more of a music collection thing than a true listening thing...it would take you forever to listen intently to even 1,000 cds or is it a passion for collecting as for the most part my case (close to 900 records and same numer approx. in cds plus other mediums,,,cassettes, videos,etc,) I would bet I have several that I haven't really listened to !!!!

However having said that, I do not hesitate in the least in buying new CDs from my favorite CD store and therefore increasing my collection because now I can control completely what I want to listen to from my fairly vast collection !

When I first get a CD I listen on the stereo, then again in my bedroom set up with headphones and then I put in the car for a listen. After that it goes into the collection and is periodically listened to after that. I do regurlarly go through my entire collection and weed out the ones I don't listen to much. I doubt if anyone listens to their entire collection on a regular basis, unless it's really small. None the less I admit to being "proud" of my music collection but being able to listen to them numerous times is important to me also
On many occasions I have bought an album based solely on the cover art. Sometimes a picture just grabs my attention and I wonder to myself why they chose THAT design. Then I just have to hear the music. Most times the two don't match but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. I discovered Vangelis based on the cover art of Albedo 0.39 and have been a fan ever since.
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 48 5,119 04-09-2024, 11:36
Last Post: Music Head
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 1,076 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,225 29-12-2023, 01:40
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 12,396 27-12-2023, 13:10
Smile What year is your favorite in hiphop music? sing-a-long 1 832 17-10-2023, 04:36
  Vintage Music Reviews Ruby 2 500 08-10-2023, 16:51
Last Post: Music Head
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,291 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  Artistic Music Videos Sylwira 0 490 13-07-2023, 08:03
Last Post: Sylwira
  Favorite era of music? sing-a-long 2 1,035 17-06-2023, 05:19
Last Post: purpleocean
  VIP/Hospitality Tickets for Live Music Events Joni89 0 665 21-02-2023, 11:23
Last Post: Joni89