Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Bowie 'lost' footage to be broadcast ( BBC Website)
[h=1]David Bowie 'lost' footage to be broadcast[/h] [Image: _57461322_jex_1271379_de28-1.jpg]

Top of the Pops Christmas Special, BBC Two, Wednesday 21 December 2011, 7.30pm

Continue reading the main story [h=2]Related Stories[/h]
A rare David Bowie Top of the Pops performance will be shown on television for the first time since it was originally broadcast in 1973.
It was believed that every recording of the singer's performing number two hit "The Jean Genie" had been destroyed.
It emerged in October that one had been found - and it will feature in a Top of The Pops Christmas Special on BBC 2.
The footage belonged to TV cameraman John Henshall, who was unaware how rare the performance was.
Mr Henshall, from Oxfordshire, worked on the show and kept a copy of Bowie's appearance.
He mentioned that he had the tape during an interview on Johnnie Walker's Radio 2 show earlier this year, after which excited Bowie afficionados contacted him to explain its status.
The film was later shown at the Missing Believed Wiped event at the British Film Institute in London, which celebrates the discovery of long-lost TV shows.
The four-minute clip shows Bowie performing alongside his then-band The Spiders From Mars, who play a slightly extended version of Jean Genie.
It will be screened in full on the Top of The Pops special.
Tapes wiped The performance has not been broadcast on TV since it originally aired on 4 January 1973, the day after it was recorded.
It was lost when hundreds of shows were wiped to allow video tape to be reused by the BBC, because of its high cost.
Mr Henshall was unaware until recently that the BBC had not kept a copy.
"I just couldn't believe that I was the only one with it. I just thought you wouldn't be mad enough to wipe a tape like that," he said earlier this month.
Mark Cooper, executive producer of Top Of The Pops 2, said: "Bowie singing The Jean Genie is electric and the kind of piece of archive that not only brings back how brilliant Top Of The Pops could be, but also how a piece of archive can speak to us down the years.
"I can't imagine what other piece of TOTP from the early Seventies would be as extraordinary a find."
BBC Two's 90-minute Top of the Pops Christmas Special will be screened at 19:30 GMT on Wednesday.
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Interesting article, Gryph !...thanks..like Mr. Henshall, I can't believe that the BBC would wipe out a Bowie video of a top ten hit !!!!!

Enjoy the video and the rest of the show !
gryphon Wrote:David Bowie 'lost' footage to be broadcast

[Image: _57461322_jex_1271379_de28-1.jpg]

Top of the Pops Christmas Special, BBC Two, Wednesday 21 December 2011, 7.30pm

Continue reading the main story Related Stories

A rare David Bowie Top of the Pops performance will be shown on television for the first time since it was originally broadcast in 1973.
It was believed that every recording of the singer's performing number two hit "The Jean Genie" had been destroyed.
It emerged in October that one had been found - and it will feature in a Top of The Pops Christmas Special on BBC 2.
The footage belonged to TV cameraman John Henshall, who was unaware how rare the performance was.
Mr Henshall, from Oxfordshire, worked on the show and kept a copy of Bowie's appearance.
He mentioned that he had the tape during an interview on Johnnie Walker's Radio 2 show earlier this year, after which excited Bowie afficionados contacted him to explain its status.
The film was later shown at the Missing Believed Wiped event at the British Film Institute in London, which celebrates the discovery of long-lost TV shows.
The four-minute clip shows Bowie performing alongside his then-band The Spiders From Mars, who play a slightly extended version of Jean Genie.
It will be screened in full on the Top of The Pops special.
Tapes wiped The performance has not been broadcast on TV since it originally aired on 4 January 1973, the day after it was recorded.
It was lost when hundreds of shows were wiped to allow video tape to be reused by the BBC, because of its high cost.
Mr Henshall was unaware until recently that the BBC had not kept a copy.
"I just couldn't believe that I was the only one with it. I just thought you wouldn't be mad enough to wipe a tape like that," he said earlier this month.
Mark Cooper, executive producer of Top Of The Pops 2, said: "Bowie singing The Jean Genie is electric and the kind of piece of archive that not only brings back how brilliant Top Of The Pops could be, but also how a piece of archive can speak to us down the years.
"I can't imagine what other piece of TOTP from the early Seventies would be as extraordinary a find."
BBC Two's 90-minute Top of the Pops Christmas Special will be screened at 19:30 GMT on Wednesday.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Furthermore I am wondering what other lost treasures are out there ? Is there a live extended performance of The Beatles post '66 Candlestick Park somewhere ? !!!..discounting the Abbey Road Rooftop set of Get Back/Don't Let Me Down.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Great find Gryphon!

Cheers,

Conrad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  David Gilmour's five favourite albums CRAZY-HORSE 0 409 19-06-2022, 08:05
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  David Bowie Estate sells his catalogue CRAZY-HORSE 0 276 04-01-2022, 12:40
  How much for a Music Website ? Laeti Laeti 4 1,219 31-08-2021, 11:49
  lost Neil Young/Joni Mitchell tapes from 1968 discovered! CRAZY-HORSE 1 1,095 15-03-2021, 08:08
Last Post: Jerome
  The Tale of a Fisherman lost at Sea. New Song/ Video! Feedback welcome :) Muso1070 7 2,319 06-09-2020, 01:03
  David Bowie: one billionth Spotuy stream CRAZY-HORSE 1 850 16-08-2020, 09:36
  Neil Finn's Bowie cover. CRAZY-HORSE 0 513 11-04-2020, 06:00
  Musical Instrument Website tannerhp 3 1,402 29-12-2019, 20:32
  Bowie for Jerome (and others) CRAZY-HORSE 5 1,799 01-09-2017, 03:37
  14 Great Musicians We Lost in 2016 herseydenvar 7 1,657 30-12-2016, 20:51
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart