Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
online listen
so much I could say here but I like to keep the first listens to a minimum
lyrics are superb as usual
a lot of this is like spoken word poetry with light background music
Cohen actually started as a writer of poetry but switched to recording because in his words "it paid better"
problem here is his voice is just gone
assuming a vocal range of 1-10 where Leonard formally could get a 1-5, he's now at a 1-2
I do think it's better than the last, Dear Heather
only a couple of tracks I liked, but it does have that growth factor
I will no doubt get this at some point to keep my collection complete but in no hurry
1.5 from me and not yet rated by the pros at allmusic

from the album - Amen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M8Mm3o3JwI

released Jan 31st, 2012

[Image: q96834qfalc.jpg]

Bio - from allmusic

too lengthy to include

Album Review - from npr

In a recent public conversation with fellow rock bard Jarvis Cocker about the new recording Old Ideas, Leonard
Cohen answered the younger man's suggestion that his songs are "penitential hymns" (a phrase Cohen himself employs
in his new song "Come Healing") with jocular humility. "I'm not sure what that means, to be honest," Cohen
reportedly replied. He continued, "Who's to blame in this catastrophe? I never figured that out."

The catastrophe he mentions is life itself — a description Cohen probably picked up from a fictional character he
admires, Zorba the Greek, who embraced the "full catastrophe" of a well-connected, joyfully physical existence. The
Buddhist teacher Jon Kabat-Zinn has also borrowed it for a book title, which is relevant, since Cohen's writing is
famously philosophical, connecting his Jewish heritage to years of Zen meditation and an enduring existentialist
bent.

But this spiritual master is a sensualist, too: His artistry is grounded in the careful examination of how the body
and the soul interact. Old Ideas, his 12th studio album, was recorded after a triumphant world tour that had Cohen
performing three-hour shows night after night — no mean feat for a man in his late 70s. It throbs with that life,
its verses rife with zingers and painful confessions, and its music sounds more richly varied than anything Cohen
has done in years.

Its depth comes in the tenderness and refined passion Cohen brings to his thorough descriptions of being human — a
state in which pain and failure dance with transcendence and bliss, as he growls in harmony with his angelic backup
singers in the beautiful "Come Healing," "The heart beneath is teaching to the broken heart above."

Old Ideas provides plenty of new lines like that, worthy of a Quotable Cohen anthology. (My favorite right now is
from the folksy waltz "Crazy to Love You": "Crazy has places to hide in that are deeper than any goodbye.") But
what makes this album special is its sound, which steps back from the synthesizer-heavy arrangements dominant on
Cohen's other late-period work and explores a range of styles, from countrypolitan twang to gypsy jazz to
Dylanesque blues.

Bobby Zimmerman, in fact, is a clear reference point throughout Old Ideas. At times, it seems like a response to
Time Out of Mind, the 1997 release that marked the beginning of Dylan's epic lion-in-winter phase. (That he was
only 57 when he made it shows how long a pop star's old age can last.) Like that album, Old Ideas contemplates
mortality in the bitter light of failed romance; it fearlessly broaches emotional extremes while still dropping the
wisdom of an elder who should know better. "The Darkness," with its funky undertow, and "Banjo," an easy talking
blues, are especially Dylanesque, with Cohen adding tartness to his own gravelly growl and his band getting into a
loose Americana groove.

In the end, of course, Leonard Cohen remains his own man, with a unique sound that brings the temple to the cabaret
and a sensibility balancing humor and profundity on the crystal stem of a glass filled with red wine of an ideal
vintage. In "Going Home," whose words were recently featured in The New Yorker by poetry editor Paul Muldoon,
Cohen's inner spirit pokes fun at his pop-star self: "He's a lazy bastard living in a suit," the enlightened voice
says. But you know what? That suit still fits, and the cut is perfection.

Track Listing

1) Going Home
2) Amen
3) Show Me the Place
4) The Darkness
5) Anyhow
6) Crazy to Love You
7) Come Healing
8) Banjo
9) Lullaby
10) Different Sides

if you as a "real" Cohen fan dont like it...then i'll just stick to "songs of love and hate","songs of LC" & "the essential LC" for now

and its not a good feeling to have when one of your favourite artists make a bad album...its really a deflating experience IMO!

and after hearing two tracks from the new McCartney album...im not looking foreward to it at all, but like you, to keep the collection complete...i'll get it!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I have heard the My Valentine track from Macca ...what's the other one CH ?
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:if you as a "real" Cohen fan dont like it...then i'll just stick to "songs of love and hate","songs of LC" & "the essential LC" for now

and its not a good feeling to have when one of your favourite artists make a bad album...its really a deflating experience IMO!

and after hearing two tracks from the new McCartney album...im not looking foreward to it at all, but like you, to keep the collection complete...i'll get it!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leonard Cohen News Music Head 0 1,096 25-09-2009, 11:55
Last Post: Music Head