Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Goodbye HMV
#1
The UK's High street record store HMV went into administration this week! This is rather distressing, but hope is still out there for a buyer to come in and rescue the old dog Wink

The ever talented Mr. Mark Read has done a parody of Elton John's "Candle In The Wind". It is very funny and has been stuck in my head all day.

check it out??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRWivRvP7-U
Reply
#2
About 3 years ago I spent around £1000,00 in my local HMV store(Coleraine) and online. £300 of that was on a PS3 and the rest was on music. The Beatles remastered albums had just been released and they were selling them at £9 each, I thought that was very reasonable so I picked up one, or sometimes two each week.
I went ino the store one week to pick up another one or two and they had put the prices up to £18 an album. I said to the guy behind the counter that I come into the store on a weekly basis and if he checked my loyalty/points card he would see the amount of business I put HMV's way. I asked him could he not sell me the last 3 albums that I needed for £9 each like they were before, or at least give me a reduction on the price if I bought all 3. He said no, it wasn't him that set the prices. One of the albums I didn't have was the ''White'' album, the price for it was £25 and it still is £25 in HMV. Their prices are ridiculous. Whilst I think that it's sad that people will loose their jobs, I'm not really surprised or saddened that HMV is finished.
Hopefully a smaller family run music shop will open in my area. One that can see and appreciate your loyalty. Unlike shops like HMV, B&Q, Currys, Game etc.
Reply
#3
Only one HMV store out of four remaining here! I don't buy anything from them so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. When I do buy something (very rare)..listen to online mostly...it's at WalMart or online! The shipping kils it for me most of the time when ordering online!...add additonal $10 dollars Canadian so the CD price is inflated to 25 bucks,,,a rip off!!!!

I am now very selective in what I purchase to own!...otherwise I note the great recommendations from my fellow MD members and seek them online. If I really like something I'll buy it and bite the bullet...lol. I seem content for the most part with my old collection of CDs, vinyl and cassettes.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#4
I'm not encouraging criminality and some might find this morally repugnant but everything you want is online and there are many software packages designed expressly to copy to CD including the artwork. Just sayin...As far as vinyl goes, we live in a resurgent period: a lot of old and some new music is available pressed on 180-gram+ plastic. We can and I do grieve for what was, but then adapt to what is.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Goodbye 2022 ... Welcome 2023 Ruby 3 1,242 01-01-2023, 23:38
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  goodbye Gryphon...hello Music Head....! CRAZY-HORSE 5 2,095 23-02-2012, 04:33
Last Post: SteveO

Forum Jump: