Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Bruce
#1
Just for fun, does anybody have any theories as to why Bruce is so popular, and has lasted so long?

I admit that I like one or two songs, but think he is exponentially overrated, a terrible singer, and think the Jersey-shore working-class shtick is cheesy and melodramatic. I'm convinced that a large number of Jersey rats think he's Jesus, and will someday take them all away to some crowded, littered, overpriced boardwalk in the sky.

I'd be interested to hear from fans who want to set me straight, as well and non-fans who don't get it either.
Reply
#2
I know what you mean about Brooce. It took me ages to get a handle on him.

I think:

- He's a good song-writer

- But, he's very inconsistent

- The very thing that I think has assured his success - impassioned live performance - is also what tends to put many off

- I'd agree not a great singer, but the rock canon is littered with others who are far worse

- All in all, I like him, but don't think he deserves the adulation

- I'd definitely like to see him live, but won't be shelling out for his over-priced tickets
Reply
#3
I think you got me on points 1 and 4.

In that sense, he is similar to Dylan, whose voice also sucks, but is transcended by the songs and the lyrics. And in some cases, other bands with better vocals and musicianship proved that the songs were good.

I like a lot of Neil Young's stuff, even though his voice is comically whiny, and his guitar playing is very sloppy and monotonous. I'm not sure why, but it's probably similar to the reason why some people like Bruce.
Reply
#4
He's written some good songs but I can't take much more misery from this multi-millionaire - and now there's a recession and the Gaslight Anthem!

Just seems pretty one-dimensional

- I've seen him live though and he's pretty good - if you like that sort of thing - which I don't really
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW SONG: Bruce Springsteen - "rain in the river" CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,512 07-04-2025, 10:17
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: The Killers ft: Bruce Springsteen "dustland" CRAZY-HORSE 0 749 17-06-2021, 23:33
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Bruce Springsteen "letter to you" CRAZY-HORSE 2 1,725 04-11-2020, 13:54
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW SONG: Bruce Springsteen "ghosts" CRAZY-HORSE 0 667 24-09-2020, 23:57
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: Bruce springsteen "letter to you" CRAZY-HORSE 0 681 10-09-2020, 14:39
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Bruce Springsteen "western stars" CRAZY-HORSE 4 2,640 25-07-2019, 12:26
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW SINGLE: Bruce Springsteen - Hello Sunshine Ruby 2 1,282 27-04-2019, 00:29
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Bruce Cockburn - Bone on Bone Ruby 2 2,450 21-09-2017, 16:49
Last Post: Ruby
  Joe Grushecky & Bruce Springsteen "thats what makes us great" CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,265 21-04-2017, 09:19
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Bruce Springsteen "chapter and verse" CRAZY-HORSE 11 4,247 16-10-2016, 13:14
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: