Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
Don't chuck them out--use them as materials for art. These folks have:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/style/...decor.html << Neat-o stuff, and it keeps them out of garbage dumps/recycling places. Be creative!
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
nice post Jazz....
but i think i'll keep my VHS and cassette tapes for posterity....
i actually play probably two or three of the old cassettes each year just for something different...
as for the VHS, i dont have a player but some of the music ones i own have not been released on dvd/bluray...i should really get them transferred digitally to disc.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Very cool post, Jazzy! It's amazing what the creative mind can do! I wouldn't mind watching Noah Baumbach's movie While We're Young!
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 20
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2015
Interesting article about art.
I've still got my old cassette collection. I own a portable player I use in my kitchen. I also own many vhs tapes. I bought a new player a couple years ago but rarely watch any.
Posts: 20
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2015
SteveO
That's one of my favorite John Lennon quotes.
Posts: 8
Threads: 0
Joined: Jan 2016
I still have all my VHS tapes from when I was kid. Its like watching a glimpse into my childhood, video quality and all!
Posts: 250
Threads: 73
Joined: May 2015
nice post,as for vhs stuff..i don't have a player for those anymore but I still have a few, now cassettes are a different story since I still use and record on em, I'm the last of the cassette dinosours I guess[smile].
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
oldies65 Wrote:now cassettes are a different story since I still use and record on em, I'm the last of the cassette dinosours I guess[smile].
Most definitely not, as my thriving trade in them avers. It seems the millennials* have grown a fondness for the warm, sometimes crackling/popping sound of tape, to the extent that that aura is being introduced into the cold, chill, abrupt, very electronic sound of CDs
* Those born around the turn of the century. We're nostalgic for what we grew up with and especially country/rural folk were raised up on cassettes so that's the aura they seek--city folk too, to a lesser extent. May Maurice White finally rest in peace--Parkinson's is a terrible affliction.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 5
Threads: 1
Joined: Feb 2016
Still got them stocked somewhere in the attic. If my husband still hasn't thrown them out or sent them to a nearby curiosities shop somewhere.