Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
NEW ALBUM: JOAN ARMATRADING ~ Consequences
#1
JOAN ARMATRADING ~ Consequences

This is a second listen. I found myself unreasonably irritated by “Better Life”, the fourth track – sounds as though it belongs on a kiddies record, and not a very good one at that! And I have nothing against kiddies records - can still enjoy some of those – at least the ones that were made in the good old bad old days, lol! I swear some of them were aimed at the parents rather than their progeny over whose heads the humour no doubt flew a mile high.

What Ms Armatrading is lacking in sophistication, she makes up for in enthusiasm but whether that is enough to redeem what is essentially an unapologetically dated pop sound is up to the individual to decide. It’s not for me. Yes, she can still pen a decent tune - there are a couple that are more memorable than others, and yes, she still plays every instrument in sight, but while most of these tracks might’ve worked forty years ago, I just don't know if they do now. She has created some amazing songs in her time, but I’m not convinced any of these would make the cut on a ‘best of’ compilation – even if it were a triple album. It’s a messy release IMHO – and it’s painful to say that. Sorry Joan.

Just had a quick look at some other reviews and yet again, it appears I’m in the minority. Maybe I’m losing it?? Or just becoming increasingly picky. Rolling Stone’s “defiantly upbeat” I can accept but I don't get The Guardian’s “strikingly inventive”, for example. Oh well – there’s always that one customer who’s difficult to please – I guess that would be me then!  



"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Miley - Bass Persuades Music Head 0 53 29-09-2026, 12:45
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Prince - "timeless" CRAZY-HORSE 1 203 19-09-2026, 11:46
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: ADELA - PRIMA Music Head 0 145 16-09-2026, 11:07
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Alex Warren - Wildchild Music Head 1 192 11-09-2026, 22:26
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Audrey Hobert - Who's The Clown? Music Head 0 290 01-09-2026, 11:25
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: KATSEYE - WILD (ep) Music Head 0 216 26-08-2026, 11:20
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: FLO - Therapy At The Club Music Head 0 210 24-08-2026, 11:41
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Ariana Grande - Petal Music Head 0 233 12-08-2026, 11:24
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Shania Twain - Little Miss Twain Music Head 0 232 10-08-2026, 16:25
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Tyla - A*POP Music Head 0 246 08-08-2026, 11:30
Last Post: Music Head

Forum Jump: