26-11-2023, 10:51
BEIRUT ~ Hadsel
![[Image: 220px-Beirut_-_Hadsel.png]](https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/82/Beirut_-_Hadsel.png/220px-Beirut_-_Hadsel.png)
Hang out the bunting! Pleased to finally find a new release to listen to. Beirut is not really a band since pretty much everything on this album is by Zach Condon alone – concept, writing, execution and then polishing it all up – some of the mixing, the mastering and the artwork excepted.
I am not familiar with this project at all so have fresh ears for the album. The first thing that leaps out is the unusual instrumentation (all wielded by ZC) and the atmosphere. Referring to Wiki for some background, it’s clear why - “The album is named for the Norwegian island of Hadsel where Zach Condon traveled after canceling part of the band's 2019 tour in support of their previous album, Galipoli when he developed laryngitis. He rented a cabin and was permitted to use the Hadsel Church’s organ, which is when he formulated the album. Condon stated that "the few hours of light would expose the unfathomable beauty of the mountains and the fjords, and the hours-long twilights would fill me with subdued excitement. I'd like to believe that scenery is somehow present in the music." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadsel_(album)
These are the instruments / gear / devices used on the album – trumpet, modular synthesizer, French horn, church organ, pump organ, glockenspiel, Moog Voyager, baritone ukulele, Rhythm Ace drum machine, piano, tenor ukulele, electric organ, continuo organ, tape delay, accordion, Roland RS-505, Roland Jupiter, bells, field recording, Auto-Orchestra drum machine.
I found that as the album progressed it started to become a tad bit bleak and rather samey, but that could also just be my limited attention span. It’s altogether quite sparse, despite, or maybe even because of Condon’s somewhat sombre vocals and the church organ which also has that kind of vibe – always has, to me. Not my favourite thing in the world, it must be said. I suppose bleakness would probably echo the surroundings, to a degree, beauty notwithstanding. On the other hand, to be fair, the result could also be considered quite crisp and clean. I’m super interested in the percussion and field sounds which I think are what rescues the whole affair, ultimately, but it doesn’t move me and that’s really the bottom line – no feel, no deal. I tried – I wanted to, and it seemed so promising to begin with – but no cigar. The first track is the best, IMHO ...
Hang out the bunting! Pleased to finally find a new release to listen to. Beirut is not really a band since pretty much everything on this album is by Zach Condon alone – concept, writing, execution and then polishing it all up – some of the mixing, the mastering and the artwork excepted.
I am not familiar with this project at all so have fresh ears for the album. The first thing that leaps out is the unusual instrumentation (all wielded by ZC) and the atmosphere. Referring to Wiki for some background, it’s clear why - “The album is named for the Norwegian island of Hadsel where Zach Condon traveled after canceling part of the band's 2019 tour in support of their previous album, Galipoli when he developed laryngitis. He rented a cabin and was permitted to use the Hadsel Church’s organ, which is when he formulated the album. Condon stated that "the few hours of light would expose the unfathomable beauty of the mountains and the fjords, and the hours-long twilights would fill me with subdued excitement. I'd like to believe that scenery is somehow present in the music." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadsel_(album)
These are the instruments / gear / devices used on the album – trumpet, modular synthesizer, French horn, church organ, pump organ, glockenspiel, Moog Voyager, baritone ukulele, Rhythm Ace drum machine, piano, tenor ukulele, electric organ, continuo organ, tape delay, accordion, Roland RS-505, Roland Jupiter, bells, field recording, Auto-Orchestra drum machine.
I found that as the album progressed it started to become a tad bit bleak and rather samey, but that could also just be my limited attention span. It’s altogether quite sparse, despite, or maybe even because of Condon’s somewhat sombre vocals and the church organ which also has that kind of vibe – always has, to me. Not my favourite thing in the world, it must be said. I suppose bleakness would probably echo the surroundings, to a degree, beauty notwithstanding. On the other hand, to be fair, the result could also be considered quite crisp and clean. I’m super interested in the percussion and field sounds which I think are what rescues the whole affair, ultimately, but it doesn’t move me and that’s really the bottom line – no feel, no deal. I tried – I wanted to, and it seemed so promising to begin with – but no cigar. The first track is the best, IMHO ...
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

