Posts: 18
Threads: 15
Joined: Feb 2010
I am curious to get input on which you perfer in a venue. The unplugged venue, or plugged. I understand it depends on a lot of factors, place, mood, band, music etc... but in general do you perfer an unplugged, acoustic show (acoustic guitars, less distortion....etc..) or the opposite?
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
where ever there are less people
Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
I think acoustic gigs can work well. Seen Roy Harper a number of times, and I'd say his shows - just him & his guitar - are amongst the best I've seen.
Generally though, I prefer a bit of outrageous volume...
Posts: 2,223
Threads: 359
Joined: Oct 2009
I feel that this is a case of horses for courses...............there are situations where acoustic performances are appropriate and give great effect........there are some musical situations where the music can be best communicated by power and volume.......................depends on the situation
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Posts: 155
Threads: 13
Joined: Jan 2009
gryphon Wrote:I feel that this is a case of horses for courses...there are situations where acoustic performances are appropriate and give great effect...there are some musical situations where the music can be best communicated by power and volume...depends on the situation
Yep.
I think unplugging is a good test of quality. The ability to perform live without technology, effects, or studio production says a lot about the integrity of a band or artist. A lot of pop stars wouldn't survive that test these days.
unplugged...its more raw and organic
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Joined: Mar 2010
I agree with kvincent5555, it's a good test of quality. A great artist should be able to translate what they do to it's most basic form (melody and accompaniment), and still represent who they are. This is why so many of the original MTV Unplugged episodes were so successful. All that said, I'm still a bigger fan of "plugged"!