Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
johnny horton
does anyone remember this guy? ive got a best of cd of his and love his story telling.
can someone enlighten me on mr.horton as i know nothing about him other than he was good friends with johnny cash
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

All I really remember is North To Alaska which was a pretty big hit.

I'm sure he must have had more than that.

I might do some homework

sink the bismark
the battle of new orleans
johnny reb
when its springtime in alaska(its forty below)

are four others that spring to mind from the 'best of' set i have, he was more popular in europe than in his home country.
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

doh!!! How could I have forgotten Battle Of New Orleans, a great song. same with Johnny Reb, Bismark not so much, and don't recall that other one, although I see it was a #1 country hit here, as was New Orleans and Alaska, with Bismark at #3. That was about it for the guys chart success.

I remember him being a regular on a show here called Louisiana Hayride which was a great country music show at the time.

i am aware of Louisiana Hayride, only for the fact that im a big elvis fan, and know he appeared there.
as for johnny horton, i dont recall him having huge hits in the UK but he did have moderate success over a period of time, he like eddie cochran and carl perkins, had more chart entries in the UK than in the US. there are probably more acts from the US that were more popular in the UK also, another one that springs to mind immediately is stray cats/brian setzer, allbeit in the 1980's

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Musician Johnny Otis dies aged 90 (BBC Website) gryphon 1 1,203 28-03-2015, 02:35
Last Post: jazzboCR
  R.I.P Johnny Winter musitron 4 1,003 18-07-2014, 20:34
Last Post: Music Head
  Johnny Preston dead CRAZY-HORSE 1 1,622 10-03-2011, 10:04
Last Post: Music Head
  Johnny Cash News gryphon 1 782 16-11-2010, 10:29
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Johnny Dankworth gryphon 0 907 07-02-2010, 09:18
Last Post: gryphon