Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nomination: The Moody Blues
Okay – since they have been repeatedly snubbed by that other bunch in Cleveland, and since there seems to be a lot of appreciation for the Moody Blues on this forum, shall we vote them into the MD Hall of Fame? (I love that they released a live album titled Hall of Fame!)

[Image: 300px-The_Moody_Blues_923-9509.jpg]

Allmusic sums them up succinctly as “Pop mystics of the 1960s and '70s, whose impeccably produced albums exuded pseudo-classical glory, driven by lush Mellotron orchestrations.”

There’s nothing much left to say that hasn’t already been covered somewhere along the way, so for fun, here’s a list of their studio albums, each accompanied by a brief and hopefully relevant bite of info:

1. The Magnificent Moodies (1965) – later named Go Now. Originally an R&B outfit, Denny Laine’s vocals helped propel the single ‘Go Now’ to its number one spot which was what led to the album’s release in the first place.
  2. Days of Future Passed (1967) – first rock/classical album also recorded in ‘Deramic Stereo’ by Decca. I have a beautiful copy – quality stuff!
  3. In Search of the Lost Chord (1968) – largely inspired by LSD and its proponent, Timothy Leary. The mellotron shows up here, played by Mike Pinder who’d worked in a mellotron factory and knew how to make ‘em work the way he wanted.
  4. On the Threshold of a Dream (1969) – Graeme Edge’s poetry continues to feature on this one along with a couple of Pinder penned tracks that are sublime. My favourite.
  5. To Our Children's Children's Children (1969) – a concept album inspired by the moon landing – or what was purportedly the moon landing! Lush, whimsical, and again, heavily laden with the mellotron.
  6. A Question of Balance (1970) – songs composed deliberately so that they could be played and recorded live, something they’d not achieved very well before, due to complex arrangements
  7. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1971) – by the time this album came into being the band members had settled into their individual roles – “Pinder the impassioned mystic, Lodge the rocker, Edge the poet, Thomas the playful mystic, and Hayward the romantic…” – courtesy of Allmusic.
  8. Seventh Sojourn (1972) – at this time of this release there was a resurgence of interest in Days of Future Passed due to the USA charting of ‘Nights in White Satin’, and the Moodies found themselves in competition with themselves!
  9. Octave (1978) – the last album with Mike Pinder in the line-up, recorded after a six year hiatus.
  10. Long Distance Voyager (1981) – the first album featuring Patrick Moraz, who had previously worked with Refugee and Yes. A return to previous form (as stated by CRAZY-HORSE).
  11. The Present (1983) – three minor hits on this one and one of the first CD’s to be manufactured worldwide (apparently!).
  12. The Other Side of Life (1986) – contains the hit ‘Your Wildest Dreams’ and is a departure from symphonic, to a synth pop style.
  13. Sur la Mer (1988) – home to another big hit ‘I Know You’re Out There Somewhere’ the release of which boosted concert attendance quite substantially.
  14. Keys of the Kingdom (1991) – saw the departure of Patrick Moraz and a return to a more rock oriented sound and instrumentation
  15. Strange Times (1999) – a pre-millenium studio album which seems quite reflective of that milestone, and the last with Ray Thomas, longstanding flautist and vocalist.
  16. December (2003) – the first album since their debut with songs not written by the Moodies, a Christmas affair.

There are way too many songs for one favourite so here’s a clip I like and which says quintessential Moody Blues to me. As you will see, made in the days when smoking (cigarettes) was perfectly normal!

Some ‘yes’ votes would be so cool … please ...

[video=youtube;bPLWBhNW3FM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLWBhNW3FM[/video]
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
oh yeh ruby!!!!!......YES! from me.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

oh yeh, forgot to mention.....nice write-up Ruby
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

how are these guys not in Cleveland?
serious overlook
yes from me

i agree,serious oversight by those guys in Cleveland...

I agree the Moody Blues should be in the HoF, here & Cleveland.
Yes -saw them live in what I consider their heyday - early 70s 1971
looks like we have an induction already
could be our fastest one
nice job Ruby

YES,,,definitely, record time for an induction next to The Beatles!!!! Thanks Ruby!!!!!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Woo hoo! Congrats to The Moody Blues on their induction to the Hall of Fame!! I’m sure they will be thrilled. :wink:

And thanks everyone, for the participation and kind words!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nomination: Mark Knopfler Ruby 9 5,012 13-11-2016, 20:57
Last Post: MissNSporty
  Nomination: Queen C_woldt 9 4,424 27-10-2016, 15:39
Last Post: MFS
  Nomination- And Now Booker T.& The MG'S oldies65 1 2,798 25-09-2016, 16:32
Last Post: SteveO
  Neil diamond - nomination !!!! Md hall of fame SteveO 9 3,034 20-09-2016, 08:20
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Nomination- Smokey Robinson oldies65 3 1,750 03-09-2016, 21:00
  Nomination-Wilson Pickett oldies65 2 1,323 11-08-2016, 23:43
  Nomination-Eddie Kendricks oldies65 18 3,420 06-08-2016, 02:33
  Nomination: The Beatles SteveO 22 7,958 17-05-2016, 02:04
Last Post: Pharmcat
  Nomination: Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill Tiggi 17 8,790 25-04-2016, 11:28
  Nomination-Lou Rawls oldies65 5 2,219 11-04-2016, 19:45