Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Anybody here into Cape Jazz?
#1
So few people seem to know about Cape Jazz, but it's really interesting. It formed during the same time jazz did in America did, except in South Africa. In fact- the social and political conditions were very much alike (eg. segregation, apartheid). I'd post a link to some tunes, but that would get me another infraction xD whooooopppssss. I suggest you go to grooveshark or your favorite counterpart and search for Abdullah Ibrahim. He's a great Cape Jazz player Smile
Reply
#2
very familiar with Ibrahim... used to be known as Dollar Brand. Keith Jarrett plays a considerable amount of "Cape Jazz" even though he's an American as you know.

Who are some other Cape Jazz players you know of ?
centermez Wrote:So few people seem to know about Cape Jazz, but it's really interesting. It formed during the same time jazz did in America did, except in South Africa. In fact- the social and political conditions were very much alike (eg. segregation, apartheid). I'd post a link to some tunes, but that would get me another infraction xD whooooopppssss. I suggest you go to grooveshark or your favorite counterpart and search for Abdullah Ibrahim. He's a great Cape Jazz player Smile
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#3
'The Cape Jazz Band', as original as the name is, is a group of all star musicians who recorded and played for quite a while South Africa. Robbie Janson worked with Ibrahim for a while, and he's just great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSakxaGF...re=related

Tony Schilder is also a great pianist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojDRp470zgg

Other than that, I'm afriad that I've had some trouble finding other seminal Cape Jazz Artists, but you may want to check out the genre Marabi. Cape Jazz is to Jazz as Marabi is to Blues. During Apartheid this is what africans sang which later was influenced by jazz and evolved into Cape Jazz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX7w9pzhlHE

Marabi is just fun to listen to... I get my bongos out and jam all night.
Reply
#4
Sounds like a great time! I will check it out,,,,always searching for upbeat happy music !!!!
centermez Wrote:'The Cape Jazz Band', as original as the name is, is a group of all star musicians who recorded and played for quite a while South Africa. Robbie Janson worked with Ibrahim for a while, and he's just great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSakxaGF...re=related

Tony Schilder is also a great pianist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojDRp470zgg

Other than that, I'm afriad that I've had some trouble finding other seminal Cape Jazz Artists, but you may want to check out the genre Marabi. Cape Jazz is to Jazz as Marabi is to Blues. During Apartheid this is what africans sang which later was influenced by jazz and evolved into Cape Jazz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX7w9pzhlHE

Marabi is just fun to listen to... I get my bongos out and jam all night.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#5
A restaurant in Cape Town (my hometown) called the Green Dolphin is a well known spot for Cape Jazz. I'm not a great fan of jazz but it always has a good vibe. The Hohenhort Hotel in Constantia (a suburb in Cape Town) used to be a favourite hangout in my youth. Sometimes they would have Cape Jazz but more often than not it would be a mixture of all sorts of styles. You have to remember that due to sanctions imposed because of apartheid, many musicians refused to tour South Africa, even though they had many fans there. So the one's that were there became very inventive and came up with a mixture of styles. Cape Jazz was born out of that. Every cloud has a silver lining.......
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#6
That is so cool! Big Grin Cape Town has been on my list of places to visit for a very long time. I'll be sure to check those places when I go Smile
Reply
#7
centermez Wrote:That is so cool! Big Grin Cape Town has been on my list of places to visit for a very long time. I'll be sure to check those places when I go Smile

If you do ever go be sure to visit Spier Wine Estate. Check the calendar for evening concerts etc. But they have a fairly good restaurant, some pubs, some wildlife (cheetahs etc) and of course a good selection of vino. Great place to chill out. A little bit of everything. Correction - it's the 'Green' Dolphin. Explains why so many men are colour blind......
And the Cape Malay quarter is very good (in the City Centre). This is where a lot of the Cape Jazz musicians you mentioned learnt the ropes.

Just looking at your website - very interesting!
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#8
I think I'll have to PM you once I buy plane tickets xDD

And thanks! Smile That's been a labor of love for me- teaching people how to listen.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Jazz Pianists and Drummers? Nick Dilley 19 7,917 09-07-2021, 09:10
Last Post: JeromeD
Video Jazz/Rock Fusion? Dissily Mordentroge 0 853 16-10-2019, 10:39
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
  unusual instruments in jazz jazzboCR 29 15,559 05-05-2017, 10:26
Last Post: Jerome
  I want to add new gems to my Soul & Jazz playlist (Spotify). Got any recommendations? Vaporsoul_feelings 1 1,371 15-01-2017, 01:25
Last Post: MFS
  The Smooth Jazz Chillout 7 - City Jazz daytime 0 1,474 19-06-2016, 01:53
Last Post: daytime
  Juxtaposition of Latin Jazz with Afro Soul- Samba Makossa single by Bachot Muna sylvestermusic 0 1,366 16-06-2016, 12:23
Last Post: sylvestermusic
  woman famous saxophone jazz thaonakun 0 1,578 19-04-2016, 03:21
Last Post: thaonakun
  Chantal Chamberland - Autobiography (Boozy Jazz) bebewewe 3 3,407 03-02-2016, 11:34
Last Post: bebewewe
  Jazz with piano focus Freakin 4 3,533 17-07-2015, 04:09
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Lady GaGa is a jazz singer jazzboCR 8 5,593 12-07-2015, 15:08
Last Post: Jane42

Forum Jump: