Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Rock--Quadrophenia--The Who Question
#1
Hello, I guess I'm a newbie to the forums, and I've come with a question that's been bothering me for a while now. While listening to Quadrophenia, arguably my favorite album, I heard something in The Rock. Everyone keeps telling me that its an instrumental and that there are no lyrics-- but at the end of the song I heard a subtle set of repeating lyrics: Where's it/he going

If you listen closely, you can subtly hear these lyrics at the end of the song. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this, or I'm just going mad. Its most certainly hearable, but I was wondering if everyone else mistook it as sound. None of the lyric sites mention any lyrics involved with the song, so nobody seems to share the same thoughts. I'll end this question here: What is it? Are they actual lyrics?

---Thanks.
Reply
#2
you are right it is at the end where is he going sounds like some sort of guitar or synth, vocoder unit or pedal
[video=youtube_share;pahVyVN4fg0]http://youtu.be/pahVyVN4fg0[/video]
ClassicRockFan Wrote:Hello, I guess I'm a newbie to the forums, and I've come with a question that's been bothering me for a while now. While listening to Quadrophenia, arguably my favorite album, I heard something in The Rock. Everyone keeps telling me that its an instrumental and that there are no lyrics-- but at the end of the song I heard a subtle set of repeating lyrics: Where's it/he going

If you listen closely, you can subtly hear these lyrics at the end of the song. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this, or I'm just going mad. Its most certainly hearable, but I was wondering if everyone else mistook it as sound. None of the lyric sites mention any lyrics involved with the song, so nobody seems to share the same thoughts. I'll end this question here: What is it? Are they actual lyrics?

---Thanks.
America is pregnant with promise and anticipation but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable....(Lee Jackson ..The Nice)
Reply
#3
ClassicRockFan Wrote:Hello, I guess I'm a newbie to the forums, and I've come with a question that's been bothering me for a while now. While listening to Quadrophenia, arguably my favorite album, I heard something in The Rock. Everyone keeps telling me that its an instrumental and that there are no lyrics-- but at the end of the song I heard a subtle set of repeating lyrics: Where's it/he going

If you listen closely, you can subtly hear these lyrics at the end of the song. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this, or I'm just going mad. Its most certainly hearable, but I was wondering if everyone else mistook it as sound. None of the lyric sites mention any lyrics involved with the song, so nobody seems to share the same thoughts. I'll end this question here: What is it? Are they actual lyrics?

---Thanks.

It's not lyrics as such. It's a human voice singing notes but not words through a 'talk box'. There's as example of David Gilmour doing this in the second half of this clip.
http://youtu.be/WWoJEKu2fx8

Incidentally, many moons ago I took a trip to Brighton to see Mark Knopfler and while I was there found this pub with posters of the Who plastered all over it. A homage to the mods and rockers of the time. Great place and friendly owner who was only to happy to discuss the band. A great album by the way.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#4
Yes indeed...Quadrophenia is a massive album!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Lucinda Williams - Stories From A Rock N Roll Heart Music Head 0 919 17-07-2023, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: RICK WAKEMAN & The English Rock Ensemble ~ A Gallery of the Imagination Ruby 9 3,316 26-03-2023, 13:42
Last Post: JeromeD
  NEW SONG: Donovan & David Gilmour - Rock Me Ruby 1 1,091 15-12-2022, 10:05
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Kid Rock - "bad attitude" CRAZY-HORSE 0 859 23-03-2022, 12:22
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEWSINGLE: Kid Rock - dont tell me how to live. CRAZY-HORSE 0 758 24-11-2021, 13:12
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: RICK WAKEMAN & THE ENGLISH ROCK ENSEMBLE ~ The Red Planet Ruby 2 1,352 30-08-2020, 13:10
Last Post: R_burke
  NEW SINGLE: Pretty Reckless "death by rock and roll" CRAZY-HORSE 1 1,246 02-07-2020, 03:18
Last Post: SteveO
  Nordic indie rock / pop Pianoman 0 824 21-05-2020, 08:19
Last Post: Pianoman
Video Just another rock song or an add for AA ? Dissily Mordentroge 0 1,052 27-10-2019, 23:48
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
  Fifty Years of Prog Rock by Fred de Vries Ruby 8 3,126 13-10-2019, 06:44
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge

Forum Jump: