Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon - does not hold up as well as some of their other albums.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
PETE BARDENS – Seen One Earth

[Image: 4407391811_6f3656e9c2.jpg] 

Took delivery of this CD yesterday – I’ve only listened to it online before so it’s really great to have it clutched firmly in my sticky paw, and it sounds different through speakers. Electronic/ambient/new age, if one must, and miles removed from Camel, and even to his own previous releases, I think.

To be honest, what first struck me (sans headphones) is that there isn’t a whole lot of depth to the sound, which may be something to do with synthesizers generally, or maybe the equipment he was using?? I don’t know, are all synths made equal? Or maybe it’s just the ethereal nature of the release – in any case, dare I say, it’s a wee bit light, although crisp - not sure how to explain what I mean! For all that, he manages to convey good imagery and memorable pieces – I like the concept (some say it is based on the book, The Right Stuff) which he brings to life in his compositions, the album flows well, and there is variation in the tracks.

Spacey (naturally) and dreamy, the inclusion of a few well-placed real instruments and vocals, in parts, enhances the overall result and IMHO gives it a bit of ballast. Running time is fairly short at around 35 minutes - there is one track with vocals by Neil Lockwood, “In Dreams”, and the rest are instrumental. The cover artwork is a composite of NASA photographs, i.e. Astronaut, Shuttle Mission 6; Saturn, Voyager Mission, and The Storm over the Sea West of Australia, Apollo 11 Mission. Nice black and white portrait of Bardens on the insert as well and I am glad to have it! All told, an enjoyable listen for me.

Not all tracks are available on YT, so going with this (rather visually busy) clip which starts off with the very lovely piano based “Home Thoughts”, is followed by “Prelude” and finishes with “In Dreams” … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
nice album cover....
if you use a magnifying glass youll see me waving at you in the bottom right hand corner.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

^Lol! It IS a very nice cover.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(17-08-2017, 11:31)Ruby Wrote: PETE BARDENS – Seen One Earth

[Image: 4407391811_6f3656e9c2.jpg] 

Took delivery of this CD yesterday – I’ve only listened to it online before so it’s really great to have it clutched firmly in my sticky paw, and it sounds different through speakers. Electronic/ambient/new age, if one must, and miles removed from Camel, and even to his own previous releases, I think.

To be honest, what first struck me (sans headphones) is that there isn’t a whole lot of depth to the sound, which may be something to do with synthesizers generally, or maybe the equipment he was using?? I don’t know, are all synths made equal? Or maybe it’s just the ethereal nature of the release – in any case, dare I say, it’s a wee bit light, although crisp - not sure how to explain what I mean! For all that, he manages to convey good imagery and memorable pieces – I like the concept (some say it is based on the book, The Right Stuff) which he brings to life in his compositions, the album flows well, and there is variation in the tracks.

Spacey (naturally) and dreamy, the inclusion of a few well-placed real instruments and vocals, in parts, enhances the overall result and IMHO gives it a bit of ballast. Running time is fairly short at around 35 minutes - there is one track with vocals by Neil Lockwood, “In Dreams”, and the rest are instrumental. The cover artwork is a composite of NASA photographs, i.e. Astronaut, Shuttle Mission 6; Saturn, Voyager Mission, and The Storm over the Sea West of Australia, Apollo 11 Mission. Nice black and white portrait of Bardens on the insert as well and I am glad to have it! All told, an enjoyable listen for me.

Not all tracks are available on YT, so going with this (rather visually busy) clip which starts off with the very lovely piano based “Home Thoughts”, is followed by “Prelude” and finishes with “In Dreams” … 

A lot of people don't go for electronic music (as in 70's stuff) but part of it's appeal to me is the fact that a lot of it is minimalist in nature. Synths tend to take up a lot of the stereo spectrum by themselves and if you use too many it becomes very difficult to manage very quickly. By way of example, if you had an orchestra of synthesizer players you would find yourself running out of road very quickly unless you are an exceptional arranger. Because of the way the sound is created (and played) synths tend to dominate the audio spectrum. Anyway this is going on the never-ending 'to buy' list for sure. Yes MH, I know you think I am nuts, but boys must have their toys. Girls too, so it would seem.......
^Yes, I see what you mean – one such arranger being Vangelis, I guess. Direct was released around the same time as SOE and there are many more layers of sound by comparison, but even with the prowess of Mr P at play, it suddenly seems very busy whereas Seen One Earth sounds clean. Huh! 

Not the same thing, I know, but IMHO there's an unmuddied quality about The Snow Goose too - part of its appeal.
Yes I agree, TSG is quite minimalist as well. One of the few albums where you can hear all the elements quite clearly. Marvelous piece of work. Try 'Pressure Points' if you get the chance. Might be to your liking.
^I will. Only have A Live Record other than their studio albums.
Vangelis - Voices - stunning album!

Jarre - Chronologie - a very busy album.
Eno - The Shutov Assembly - not my favourite of his. Don't really get this one at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What im listening to at the moment PsychoPrincess81 1 467 26-10-2021, 17:26
Last Post: JeromeD