Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Kate Bush - Lionheart

A passionate album with a warm atmosphere. I'm enjoying it.
[Image: 220px-Sturgill_Simpson_A_Sailor%27s_Guide_To_Earth.jpg]

STURGILL SIMPSON  -  "a sailor's guide to earth"  cd,  2016:

Kentucky born Sturgill's third and latest album...
was the first one of his I heard, such was the quality i bought the other two upon hearing this....
a couple of country sounding tracks, lots of R+B (real r+b) not that modern crap...
orchestrations also, could possibly be something Jerome would get in to, as would Ruby IMO...
they call him country, the first two albums were country tinged for sure but this one....no way.
yet it won the Grammy for best country album in 2016...strange, well, almost as strange as Jethro
Tull winning "best metal album back in the day...
one ocver on the album, Nirvana's "in bloom"which is very good, better than Nirvana's original, but im not a fan
of Cobain and Co anyway.
anyway, Sturgill has a great voice for just about anything, soul, r+b, country, pop, rock, you name it...
superb album, just like the other two...

(10-08-2017, 04:10)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: [Image: 220px-Sturgill_Simpson_A_Sailor%27s_Guide_To_Earth.jpg]

STURGILL SIMPSON  -  "a sailor's guide to earth"  cd,  2016:

Kentucky born Sturgill's third and latest album...
was the first one of his I heard, such was the quality i bought the other two upon hearing this....
a couple of country sounding tracks, lots of R+B (real r+b) not that modern crap...
orchestrations also, could possibly be something Jerome would get in to, as would Ruby IMO...
they call him country, the first two albums were country tinged for sure but this one....no way.
yet it won the Grammy for best country album in 2016...strange, well, almost as strange as Jethro
Tull winning "best metal album back in the day...
one ocver on the album, Nirvana's "in bloom"which is very good, better than Nirvana's original, but im not a fan
of Cobain and Co anyway.
anyway, Sturgill has a great voice for just about anything, soul, r+b, country, pop, rock, you name it...
superb album, just like the other two...

from the album, the lead off track...yes Jerome and Ruby, I think you'll love this one!:

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

^^I'll have a listen to this CH - thanks.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 220px-Brianfallonpainkillers.jpg]

BRIAN FALLON  "painkillers"  cd  2016

debut solo album for the Gaslight Anthem vocalist...
loved their first three albums and the Horrible Crowes album...
wasn't too keen on their forth set (even though I bought it) and hated what I heard
on their 2015 fifth album (which I didn't buy)...
this one follows the sound of their early albums...
very E-Street Band sounding, not surprising as their musical influence was The Boss
and the fact they also come from New Jersey...
a very good album, some out and out rockers and some ballads to break up the sound...

(17-08-2017, 04:54)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: [Image: 220px-Brianfallonpainkillers.jpg]

BRIAN FALLON  "painkillers"  cd  2016

debut solo album for the Gaslight Anthem vocalist...
loved their first three albums and the Horrible Crowes album...
wasn't too keen on their forth set (even though I bought it) and hated what I heard
on their 2015 fifth album (which I didn't buy)...
this one follows the sound of their early albums...
very E-Street Band sounding, not surprising as their musical influence was The Boss
and the fact they also come from New Jersey...
a very good album, some out and out rockers and some ballads to break up the sound...

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-AvettTrueSadness.jpg]

AVETT BROTHERS  "true sadness" cd,  2016:

their nineth and my forth I own...
produced by Rick Rubin, as are the other three I own...
normally, im not a big fan of Rubin's production but he does well with these guys...
folky, country in place but mostly what i'd call Americana...
nothing bad on here whatsoever, in fact, I love most of it...
a classy band who always release quality material consistently...

from the album:

[Image: 220px-Paul_McCartney_Press_to_Play.jpg]

PAUL McCARTNEY  "press to play"  vinyl/cd  1986:

McCartney's fourteenth post-Beatle studio album....
a strange album IMO....
some tracks just don't sound like McCartney, a couple are "out there" with their
sound, a couple of rockers and the obligatory ballads are also present...
there's feel-good songs, character songs, a couple of pessimistic tracks, which is unusual
for Macca and a couple with lyrics that are open to interpretation and would nicely between
such Beatle gems as "i am the walrus", "hey bulldog" etc etc...
its one of those albums that takes time and patience to fully appreciate, and when you do
it turns out to be a very good album indeed...
guest muso's on the album include Tony Visconti, Pete Townshend, Phil Collins, Eddie Raynor
Carlos Alomar and  Eric Stewart to name a few...

from the album, one of the more so-called "experimental" sounding tracks:

[Image: 220px-Fobfolie.jpg]

FALL OUT BOY -  "Folie à Deux"  cd,  2008:

American alt-rock band...
fourth album (six released), I have three or four of them...
always find their album to be good, but not exceptional, just consistent....
this one is the favourite of the ones I own...
nothing on here I dislike and several I love
great album, crappy cover art.

from the album:

has a guitar riff similar to Spirit In The Sky at the beginning:

[Image: 220px-Never-Let-Me-Down.jpg]
DAVID BOWIE "never let me down" cd, 1987:

his seventeenth studio set....
top ten throughout Europe, #34 US, #19 Australia....
slammed by the critics on the whole....
even Bowie distanced himself from the finished product saying the songs (in hindsight)
didn't end up the way he envisioned them....
some okay tracks here, some boring as hell, I think its his vocals that stuff up the album
as theres very little variation, just a mid-range happening...

Sometimes I want to listen vocal music without care for the words. In the case of Senegalese singer, Ismaël Lô, it’s almost not necessary to understand what he’s singing about, and easy enough to interpret as one wishes, based on that gorgeous emotive voice, and the tone and pace of the music. 

I find his music soothing … already have Iso (his nickname growing up) and Jammu Afrika, but have been listening to some of his other albums, Dabah, and Sénégal, both of which are going on the wishlist … 

He sings in his home language, Wolof, and in French – this is a beautiful ballad sung in French, from Dabahhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0bwRCOljgU

From Sénégal – an orchestrated version of his famous “Tajabone” –https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRyyZmO-NE

And another from Sénégal, which I tend to favour over Dabah, I think … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 220px-Band_of_Horses_-_Why_Are_You_OK_%2...ver%29.jpg]

BAND OF HORSES -  "why are you ok"  cd,  2016:

the band's  fifth studio album, I own them all....
a good solid alt rock band ....
album didn't sell very well, making top30 in most places,
but did make it to #2 in New Zealand...
my favourite album of theirs...

from the album:

[Image: 220px-Cournetbarnett.jpg]

COURTNEY BARNETT  "sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit"    cd,   2015:

debut set from aussie Courtney.....
alt rock....
hearing bits of PJ Harvey and shades of Patti Smith....
deadpan vocals with sarcastic/humorous, tongue lashing lyrics....
songs about the mundane everyday subjects we all take for granted....
a very good album that peaked at #4 in her homeland and top20 everywhere else that matters...

from the album: