Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Born on this day ...
Chris Farlowe was born John Henry Deighton, on this day in 1940, in Islington, North London. His really is one of the most extraordinary and unsung voices to come out of his generation, IMHO. He has an incredibly soulful sound that is a prime example of why it’s a very bad idea to judge any book by its cover, or origins. Mick Jagger wrote “Out of Time” for him, which has somehow turned out to be strangely appropriate since although that song (which Farlowe didn’t like at all originally) garnered him the one and only No 1 hit of his career, he never really managed to make the popular impact his vocal prowess merits. He does, however, have a core of loyal fans, and to this day, continues to perform live which is what he’s done for most of his life (he seems to have a following in Germany), rather than spending an inordinate amount of time in the studio; he says he’ll go out singing.

Little known and lauded outside a limited circle he might be, but he has the respect of his peers; Mike d’Abo wrote “Handbags and Gladrags” for his voice, he was with Atomic Rooster in the early 70’s, did a stint with Jimmy Page, and in recent years, has taken to the stage with none other than Van the Man, who as legend has it, is not famous for his bonhomie or high levels of tolerance for fellow humans.

Outside of his music, apparently Mr Farlowe is an ace snooker player. Smile

“Out of Time” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMli47EQVWE

“Handbags and Gladrags” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_oRLe1DkMY

“Can’t Find a Reason” with Atomic Rooster … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A0fk2V6g6k

And this one from his album The Voice

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
just about every singer from London since Farlowe has either recorded Handbags And Gladrags or has sung it live at some point in their career, its just one of those songs I guess that artists associate with that city.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

^Yes - not much my thing that one, but I do like some of his songs. You're a bit of a blue-eyed soul fan aren't you CH? Your opinion of his voice?
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
yes I am Ruby...
I was never a fan of CF, I did like Out Of Time though...
his voice actually irritates me to be brutally honest...

and im not a fan of the Handbags song neither,i have live versions by Daltrey, Weller, Sayer and studio versions by Faces with Rod Stewart
and Rod solo, dislike them all
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

^Ok - I also wondered why it was so popular!
Interesting - I think his voice has an amazing quality to it but I don't own any of his albums and have only listened to bits and pieces, except The Voice. I'm always curious about the not so famous. 
Yet again - to each their own!
Happy 60th birthday to country music's Michael Jackson, Mark Miller of country band Sawyer Brown that is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY0RvAT6fZU

God bless you and him and the other members always!!!

Holly
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
Dave Pegg was born on this day in 1947, in Adcocks Green, Birmingham, England. By the time he was 21, he’d been a part-time member in bands who supported the Spencer Davis Group and The Moody Blues, played in another one with Robert Plant and John Bonham, and caught the attention of Ralph McTell and Dave Swarbrick. He’d also switched along the way from lead, to bass, upright bass and mandolin before settling back on the bass in The Beast with Cozy Powell, followed by a stint in a blues quartet. When Fairport Convention’s incumbent bass player left the band in 1969, they gave Pegg a call, and that was that – for a while – the next ten years, in fact. During his tenure with FC, he also contributed to albums by other artists, notably Nick Drake, John Martyn and Ralph McTell. 

Known for his melodic bass playing, he stood in for an ill John Glascock on Jethro Tull’s Stormwatch tour and after Glascock’s passing was invited by Mr Anderson himself to join them permanently, his first recording with the mighty machine being Broadsword and the Beast. He stayed with JT for fifteen years, during the last five of which Fairport Convention also came back to life so he must have been a busy and slightly confuddled boy! Somehow he managed to hold down both jobs which is quite miraculous really, espeically given Ian McCrusty's reputation, but he eventually chose to commit to FC and they still make appearances, I believe. 

From Broadsword and the Beast ….

Happy Birthday to Lyle Mays who was born on this day in 1953, in Wausaukee, Wisconsin, USA. He’s a founding and pivotal member of the Pat Metheny Group and as such, a recipient of 11 Grammy Awards as well as being a nominee several times in his solo capacity and with other artists. He is responsible for many jazz, jazz fusion, contemporary classical compositions and arrangements and has the most extraordinary touch on the keys, which is his forte, lol … pianoforte. 

From Wiki –

"In the Pat Metheny Group, Mays provides arrangements, orchestration, and the harmonic and metric backbone of the group's musical signature. He occasionally performs on electric guitar as well. He played trumpet on the songs "Forward March" and "Yolanda You Learn" from the album First Circle (1984) and during the tour for that album.”

The opener from The Way Up ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVx6UQwxaxw

And in a different mood, dedicated to Bill Evans who passed away on September 15th, 1980, the sublime “September 15” from his and Pat Metheny's As Wichita Falls, so Falls Wichita Falls … in a league of their own, these two ... 

The multi-talented David Sancious was born on this day in Asbury Park, New Jersey, USA. He was with Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band back when they started, but left after recording three albums with them, going on to play with a host of musical luminaries and also to record his own solo albums. He is a keyboard player and composer of very decided note, aaaand that’s not all … Mr S wields a fairly mean guitar too. He has contributed to recordings and played live with Peter Gabriel, Sting, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Seal, Santana, Natalie Merchant, Yousou Ndour, Erikah Badu, Zucchero, Stanley Clarke, Jack Bruce and Friends, etc., etc. - sometimes wearing the producer’s hat on top of it all! 

Sancious doesn’t fit into any particular musical box – his work ranges from classical to progressive to fusion. He became enchanted from an early age, four to be precise, picking a toy guitar along to a Calypso record his parents had playing at the time; then the family moved to a house that had a piano and he heard his mother play for the first time which opened up a whole new world for him. He was tutored in classical piano from around six and found the electric guitar at about nine, so he is really steeped in it! 

He says of himself (from his website - davidsancious.com) “I've always been inspired and motivated by the composing aspect of music, and I've always thought of myself as a composer who plays well, rather than a person who is just proficient on a given instrument.”  Nowadays he offers audio services as well as continuing to play, compose and tour.

With Sting on “Seven Days” from Ten Summoner’s Tales, a live version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...BgyKoWPC5Q

Springsteen and the E Street Band’s “New York Serenade”. Fantastic stuff … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EooiBaW1BA

“The Bridge”, from his album of the same name – also live, and some distance from 1981 …

Samuel Stephen ‘Steve’ Forbert was born on this day in 1954, in Meridian, Mississippi, USA. Singer/songwriter of pop/folk/Americana, he’s had a forty year career and is still kicking - released an album in September this year, The Magic Tree. I don’t really know much about him and am only familiar with his seminal album, Jackrabbit Slim and “Romeo’s Tune”. Had a listen to most of The Magic Tree and there are some good songs on it, I think – just not all my particular cuppa tea. He doesn’t sound a whole lot different actually … several decades on … 

“Romeo’s Tune” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9w3GSqpf6Y

The title track from The Magic Tree … 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 1,915 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 1,430 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 4,098 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 1,242 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO