Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 60364005_2303209279702074_48419421056789...e=5D9AC974]

I'm no expert within the area of classical music but I know that I enjoy instrumental classical music. I am very much self taught in my appreciation but, I bumble along learning a bit here, finding a bit here. One of my favourite pieces of music is "Pictures at an Exhibition " ( Thanks ELP!) and I found this recently ...it has the original piano version and the augmented version by Ravel....a nice listen!
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Have to say, I’m not usually a big fan of the clarinet which I attribute to far too much Acker Bilk playing around my household growing up! However, I heard this on the radio yesterday and it was just captivating …

Johannes Brahms – from his Sonata in Eb major for clarinet and piano, Opus 120 No 2, 1st movement …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
.... And that was followed shortly thereafter by this – Elgar’s beautiful “Morning Song” - 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: R-1980502-1467027663-5154.jpeg.jpg]

I have had a copy of this twice in my life and each time it has always been a delight. I acquired my second copy of this a few months ago and it is now , one of my favourite listens. The album features tracks from Rick's first four albums reworked for a large orchestra. As much of his work was originally designed for a keyboard at the centre of an orchestra this transfer is very effective. The RPO have a great talent for interpreting these works in a sensitive and emotionally appropriate way to bring out subtitles which might not be evident in Rick's original recordings.
The quality of the recordings is breath taking and the pressing excellent.

I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
[Image: R-1120619-1333187483.jpeg.jpg]

I just love Tomita....this album has not only beautiful interpretations of Ravel but it has the most wonderful cover art. Rolleyes

I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
[Image: R-1706391-1445801084-2763.jpeg.jpg]

Another Tomita album for me today. This time the mysterious and mystic ......Tomita always manages to capture the atmosphere and feel of the music he covers and can add a new dimention  to it ......add to that and RCA Red Seal pressing to die for and a great gate fold sleeve.....this was a great afternoons relaxation and enjoyment. Smile

I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
JUAN MARTIN with Mark Isham – Painter in Sound

[Image: R-2748936-1415667162-4391.jpeg.jpg]

I like this concept for an album – it’s been done several times before, by other artists (Gordon Giltrap and Rick Wakeman spring immediately to mind – From Brush and Stone) – musical companion pieces to paintings/sculpture. This is lighter than Picasso Portraits, although it’s not really jazz to my mind (which is what Discogs labels it), more neo-classical/world which is why it’s going in this thread. No drums – the wonderful guitar of Juan Martin plus keyboards, trumpets, sax and synths courtesy of Mark Isham. I’m not a fan of all the artworks in question, but it’s interesting to hear the interpretations regardless. Those marked with asterisks have most appeal for me, one way or the other, or both! Very pleasant listening IMHO.

Tracklist

1. The Diver: David Hockney * - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouc10jL1oCY
  2. The Great Wave of Kanagawa: Hokusai * - linking below
  3. Model by The Wicker Chair: Edward Munch        
  4. Self Portrait: Vincent Van Gogh * - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9was9WaEZQ
  5. Prince Baltazar Carlos On Horseback: Velasquez
  6. Going To Work: L.S. Lowry
  7. Catherine Of Aragon: Michel Sittow * - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxwJ-P30pO8
  8. The Dream: Matisse * - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbR01x9z51o
  9. The Head of Christ: Leonardo da Vinci    
  10. Bathers at Asnieres: Seurat * - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9J4gr_Xsag
  11. Guernica: Picasso

[Image: 220px-Bondborn.jpg]

BOND "born" cd 2000:

Aussie/UK  all-girl String Quartet...
a creation of Mike Batt...
pop-crossover on here...
some vocal tracks but mainly instrumental pieces...
a couple of classical classics adapted for the pop market on here also...
a very good album IMO, and something totally different from anything
else I own...
Ruby, I think you would appreciate this album (or the clips anyway), pretty sure
Jerome would also...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

one of the classic adaptations "the 1812"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9C_ThuA0s  live

my favourite: (also live from The Royal Albert Hall)

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 61qO9u5pAbL._AC_UL436_.jpg]

OTTMAR LIEBERT & LUNA NEGRA "the hours between night & day" cd, 1993:

Ottmar, German born classical guitarist...
Luna Negra, not a person but his backing band (it had me fooled LOL!)…
perform a mix of New Age, Classical, Flamenco sounds...
so lots of the above on this instrumental album...
I find Flamenco/Spanish music uplifting, positive and relaxing all at the same time...
quality musicianship from a classy artist.

superb live clip that im sure Ruby and Jerome would appreciate

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 415z5H2+5YL._AC_UY218_QL90_.jpg]

ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER "requiem" cd, 1985:

one of half a dozen Webber cds given to me by my work colleague's wife...
a requiem mass written by Webber for his father who died in 1982...
too dreamy and wishy-washy for me, but that's pretty much what I expected...
nothing appealed to me on here whatsoever, heres hoping the other cds will
be more pleasing to my ears...
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

no links available for me...