Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Born on this day ...
Happy Birthday to Paul Tucker who was born on this day in 1968, in Crystal Palace, London, UK. Keyboardist and producer, he and vocalist ‎Tunde Baiyewu are better known as Lighthouse Family and after a decade out of action, they’ve recently released a new album titled Blue Sky in Your Head (which I’m listening to at the moment).

Theirs is a magical alchemy – they just work so well together, and despite a measly three albums (between 1995 and now), they have managed to craft some of the most memorable pop/soul songs ever, “High” being at the literal apex of their achievements, IMHO (and in the opinion of millions more). Big Grin

No idea how they manage to get away with not being cheesy when they are so perilously close to being that. I have a compilation and really enjoy listening to it – they are super smoothly good at what they do, and have inherent musicality – they sound sooo very easy on the ear, and it’s feelgood stuff – no misery. That must be it then, there are no missteps; the stuff of perfectionists!

Can’t find much info on Mr Tucker otherwise, but will be giving the latest release another thorough hearing before having my say.

Meanwhile – the quintessential song …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
John Cowan was born on this day in 1953, in Minerva, Ohio, USA. He is a so-called ‘progressive bluegrass’ and soul singer, and bass guitarist. He was part of New Grass Revival along with Bela Fleck and Co., he’s had associations with several bands including the Doobie Brothers and contributed to albums by such luminaries as Jesse Winchester, John Prine and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (and that’s by no means the full list). He’s also released seven solo studio albums. 

Shewy – quite the voice Mr Cowan has on him – true and super duper clean – not a bum note to be heard, and he hits some fairly high ones! Funny – he reminds me of Billy Joel, a lot. I quite like ‘Newgrass’ (much to my surprise - must be the strings, lol), so I listened to his most recent album, Sixty (which was where the Jelly Bowl comparison was born, and which yielded this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B8mAdU-b0o), and then proceeded to stumble upon The John Cowan Band's New Tattoo … going to have to listen to the full album now too! Yay! A new to me voice that I like!  Smile 

Lazy today so here's his site for more - https://www.johncowan.com 

"Tomorrow Morning" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXcYKrJ_r6Y

and this one .... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Hugh Alan Cornwell was born on this day in 1949, in North London, England. He was a founding member and the vocalist for The Stranglers staying with the group from inception to 1990 when he jumped ship.

Funny – I listened to Aural Sculpture just the other day and have developed a few earworms as a result, ironically “No Mercy” being one of ‘em! Lol! That’ll learn me.

Cornwell earned himself a degree in biochemistry whilst exploring things punk/new wave and has authored five books, one of them on his time in prison for drug possession – hmm – “Golden Brown” is no surprise then! He has recorded nine solo albums in addition to the ten Stranglers releases on which he appears and has made several forays into acting.

Sharing the earworm ... "No Mercy" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxWxXIpeEg

And another one ... "Let Me Down Easy" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_9RaWjCBu8

"Golden Brown" which is from La Foliehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAsI3U2EaE

"North Winds Blowing" which is not quite as earwormy and is, in fact, quite serious ... 

I pray that LeAnn Rimes and Shania Twain are both having themselves safe and wonderful birthdays today.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of LeAnn)
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
Roine Stolt (who is also sometimes referred to as Don Azzaro and/or Dexter Frank Jr. for various instrument and production credits) was born on this day in 1956, in Uppsala, Sweden. 

He is probably best known as the head honcho and founder of The Flower Kings although prior to that he was with another Swedish prog rock band in the 70’s, Kaipa, after which he formed a shortlived outfit named Fantasia before going on to release a few solo albums, one of which was titled The Flower King and which basically seeded the band of the same name plus ‘s’. 

He draws inspiration from Yes and has released a collaborative album with Jon Anderson. I have never got around to listening to The Flower Kings despite knowing of them, so thought it might be a good time to rectify that particular oversight! Have to say – it’s difficult to get through 31 solid minutes of proggy busyness – or maybe I’m just not in the headspace. By the time it gets to two thirds of the way through a track that length, I can’t remember how it started and have difficulty tying it all together again, lol! Too much for me, but I did enjoy his album with Anderson, and he is a good, emotive vocalist and guitar player; the subject of much adulation and respect, especially in his home country, which is fair enough. Perhaps I will pick a different album next time. Recommendations anyone??

As a trivial aside, Stolt and his wife named their sons after two of his musical idols ... Johan Sebastian and Peter Gabriel. 

From The Flower King … a short and sweet sung track …. “Close Your Eyes” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl8zqcSl3lU

I also dipped into Hydrophonia – a solo effort – this is from that … clearly not a whole lot of other people are taken with this track which has one lonely view at the time of posting!! Instrumental … 

Christine Ellen ‘Chrissie’ Hynde was born on this day in 1951, in Akron, Ohio, USA and was attending Kent State at the time of those dreadful shootings - her best friend's boyfriend was one of the four victims. 

She was obsessed with bands from a fairly young age, very much into the hippie scene and counterculture revolution. Despite several early rejections and setbacks, she stuck to her vision and after a few false starts eventually made the big time in the UK with The Pretenders. She had survived working for, and associations with Malcom McLaren and the Sex Pistols, and the whole punk scene (which would have scared me witless), but for which she is grateful because it allowed a small window for people like herself to slip onto the scene. I suppose being a natural born questioner of so-called norms has stood her in reasonable stead throughout her career and I have a feeling she takes very few prisoners!

I was never a big fan, but setting preconceptions aside, I’ve listened to her solo album Stockholm which is good IMHO (if a little irritating iro some of the vocal timings). Neil Young plays guitar on one track and John McEnroe, of all people, is also a guitarist on the release!

She is in no way trained in anything musical, including voice, and apparently suffers from amusia, or tone deafness which isn’t great for someone in the biz! She reminds me of Tom Petty for some reason, and one has to hand it to her for persistence, which has seemingly paid off; induction into the Rock n Roll HoF, many and varied esteemed collaborations and the latest effort with The Valve Bone Woe Ensemble which is well done, even if it is a covers album, and jazz covers at that! 

Ms Hynde is a committed vegetarian, an animal rights activist and a staunch supporter of PETA for which she is to be lauded, IMHO. She published an autobiography in 2015 titled 'Reckless: My Life as a Pretender', which probably pretty much sums it up! She is not the easiest of interview subjects, by all accounts, but I suspect that’s because she isn’t a hypocrite, is outspoken, and doesn’t try to gratuitously please anyone. 

Here’s that track with Neil Young which is fairly grungy IMHO … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ozM_X5RQBU

And the title track from Stockholm (which was recorded there, hence the name)

LOL, im assuming you posted the NY track for my benefit Ruby???,
I'd never heard it,
so I did,
I wish I hadn't, I don't think the grunge of Young adds to her vocal quality.

love The Pretenders and her Valve Bone Woe album though...
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Yep - thought you should keep your Neil Young catalogue up to date.  Big Grin
Valve Bone Woe is a most unexpected departure, and a delightful one too. Love it when that happens.
Ray Wilson was born on this day in 1968, in Dumfries, Scotland. He has the dubious distinction of being the lead vocalist on the very last album recorded by Genesis which I have never listened to before now. It’s titled Calling All Stations and those words are displayed in ever decreasing font size on the front cover, which is kinda telling, although I doubt it was intended to be! It was also heavily panned by various critics, one of whom refers to it as a ‘formless blob of synth sounds’ - jeez – no mercy, but I reluctantly concede that he might have had a point!

To be fair, it wasn’t Wilson (who is no relation to Steven, but who does have a cousin named Steve, who is also a musician, lol!) who beached the band – they had just come to the end of their time. Nothing wrong with his voice which is at times reminiscent of both Gabriel and Collins, and which is no doubt why he was chosen to begin with, after Phil’s departure.

The title track from Genesis’s Calling All Stations … (circa 1997) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgAqSvhNxbc

He’d been with a grunge band called Stiltskin prior to Genesis and he recorded with them after the fact too. They went on to become a lot less grungy – this from Unfulfillment, their 2011 album …. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4MrolP7SI

And the title track of his 2016 solo album Makes Me Think of Home

Keith Reid was born on this day in 1946, in Hertfordshire, England. Up until their most recent album, Novum, he wrote ALL the lyrics for Procol Harum – every single one of ‘em. Amazing! I didn’t know that! He’s also released two solo albums under the banner of The Keith Reid Project – the most recent was released last year and is titled In My Head

Reid and Chris Thompson (APP, Oldfield, Manfred Mann) jointly wrote the huge John Farnham hit, “You’re the Voice”, a previously unreleased version of which is included on the first KRP album, The Common Thread

Nope, I’m not posting "A Whiter Shade of Pale" …

“A Salty Dog” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOj3kJKy-_U

“Shine On Brightly” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12YAuAYjLQ

…. and “Thieves Road” from In My Head which I am busy listening to in its entirety … different vocalists on each track ... 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 1,915 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 1,430 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 4,098 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 1,242 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO