Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
^^
is ascension inspired by Christ and his ascension or has Oldfield visited Ascension Island???
or alternatively, is there another inspiration behind it?
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

The title of the album 'The Songs of Distant Earth' is taken from a book by Arthur C Clarke. If I remember correctly it's a collection of short stories by the famous science fiction writer. I assume the title 'Ascension' might be the title of one of the stories contained in the book. Not sure.

Mr. Clarke was and still is one of my favourite authors. Read the book many moons ago when I still had hair and a brain. I quite enjoyed it at the time. If you read the liner notes on the album Authur was quite impressed with the sonic interpretation of his work. Wonder when Mr. Oldfield is going to release the next Tubular Bells disc. A sure buy for me regardless.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Mike Oldfield - Tres Luna - a sort of chill out new age electronic thing. Some tracks I like and some I don't - about a 50/50 split.
^^^I actually went and got the book online after listening, and read it. 'Ascension' is a chapter (there are 57 - not long though so not as daunting as you might be forgiven for thinking!) and it's fascinating knowing what it's about now and hearing Mike Oldfield's interpretation of that particular segment of the story. I won't spoil it in case anyone wants to read it. It's not what I would call great literature, but it's definitely an engaging and thought provoking read, and sometimes that's even better. The album doesn't necessarily match the book chronologically, but the essence is right there. I'm happy I read it - don't think I've read anything else of Arthur C Clarke's and probably should. Quite a character!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Jean Michel Jarre - The Geometry of Love. A electronic lounge chill out album. So-so - not that mad about it.
[Image: 220px-Afunkodyssey.png]

JAMIROQUAI "a funk odyssey" cd, 2001

UK house/acid-jazz duo.
fifth album.
no, its not mine.
my step-daughter and her partner were storing stuff at my place whilst in the processing
of moving house...
their stuff has gone now, they've moved into their newly purchased first home together.
anyway, this one must be hers, must have fell out of a box during the process so I decided to play
it before giving it back to her tomorrow.
I get it, we all have different taste, this is her musical era, this techno type stuff is what she grew up
with. cant see what all the fuss is about though, theres nothing in this type of music, well, sound, its not
music, its beats. cant stand a bloody thing off it...
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

the 'hit' single:

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Vangelis - China - Superb!
I haven't bought this yet but I probably will when deliveries return to normal (if they return to normal).

https://brian-eno.net/
^^
if im not mistaken (which I could be??) I remember you saying once that you weren't a fan of Daniel Lanois
I guess he has redeemed himself on that one then.

speaking of Eno.....

heard an album of his probably four or five years ago, The Ship, which I kept going back and listening to.
that one grew on me, its still on my 'to purchase' list after all this time, just had no joy finding it locally (now ive said that i'll find it at the music store next time I go down there LOL)…

did you end up getting that one Jerome???

Sorry I could not reply earlier CH. I got disconnected from the internet along with half of Ireland over the last few days. ISP had some major balls up. (I thought I might have brought the network down because I had too many babes pics open at the same time!). To answer your question - no I have not purchased it yet. But will have another listen and decide. Problem is that at the moment I am awaiting delivery of at least 10 or so CD's that I have ordered but nothing has arrived yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What im listening to at the moment PsychoPrincess81 1 467 26-10-2021, 17:26
Last Post: JeromeD