Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Born on this day ...
^Coincidentally, Peter-John Vettese was born on this day in 1956, in Angus, Scotland. He grew up in a musical family, first performing publicly at the age of nine when he was given a fulltime gig with his father’s big band. At 17 he signed up with one of the UK’s premier big bands which didn’t last long; he was fired for practicing with his own ensemble on ‘company’ time.  

He has since had a rather more commendable career, working with a variety of artists, producing, songwriting, doing session work and arranging - he also produces music for film and installations. Some of those on his CV include Simple Minds, Annie Lennox, Mick Hucknall, Dido, Sophie B Hawkins, Zucchero, Cutting Crew, Sia and Foreigner.

Vettese also worked with the Bee Gees on three of their lesser lauded albums, and with Robin Gibb on his final and posthumously released 50 St. Catherine’s Drive.

In earlier days, while touring pubs and clubs in Scotland with his then jazz fusion group, Solaris, he responded to an ad for keyboard players in Melody Maker which turned out to have been posted by none other than Jethro Tull.  He joined them for Broadsword and the Beast, Under Wraps (which we won’t say too much about) and Rock Island.

He also had a lot to do with Ian Anderson’s debut solo album (composition and keys), Walk Into Light, (which incidentally was wedged between BATB and Under Wraps and which is very much of the latter’s ilk, at Anderson’s behest, might I add – his experimental foray into early 80’s electronica, LinnDrum, etc.,) – super synth laden and a bit of a departure from things Tullish - boasting a couple of decent tracks nonetheless - here’s “Made in England” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03GRfmpfz0I, which is a little ironic since neither of them were! And “Looking for Eden” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1V1RC600AQ.

And just because I like it …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Declan McManus aka  Elvis Costello

aged 66.

New Wave artist originally but has worked with Bacharach, Brodsky Quartet, Allen Toussaint  and The Roots to name a few.
has written and recorded albums in just about every genre except the metal/hard rock ones.

just about to release his 30th studio album.
i thought i had most of them but ive only got 16 and two compilations, got a long way to go...

i could just about post any one of about thirty tracks and i would be satisfied but i'll post the first one i remember listening to back in the day...

I've been on tenderhooks, ending in dirty looks
List'ning to the Muzak, thinking 'bout this 'n' that
She said, "That's that, I don't want to chitter-chat"
Turn it down a little bit or turn it down flat
Pump it up, when you don't really need it
Pump it up, until you can feel it.

Down in the pleasure center, hell-bent or heaven-sent
Listen to the propaganda, listen to the latest slander
There's nothing underhand that she wouldn't understand
Pump it up, until you can feel it
Pump it up, when you don't really need it.

She's been a bad girl, she's like a chemical
Though you try to stop it, she's like a narcotic
You want to torture her, you want to talk to her
All the things you bought for her, putting up your temperature

Out in the fashion show, down in the bargain bin
You put your passion out under the pressure pin
Fall into submission, hit-and-run transmission
No use wishing now for any other sin

Pump it up, when you don't really need it

Don't really need it
Don't really need it
Don't really need it
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Happy birthday to the following country singers.

Jo Dee Messina
Henry Paul (lead guy of the act named Black Hawk)
Billy Ray Cyrus

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
Happy Birthday to Nuno Duarte Gil Mendes Bettencourt - aka Nuno Bettencourt. Born on this day in 1966 in the Azores, Portugal. Moved to the USA at the age of four and is a self-taught guitarist. His influences - Eddie van Halen, the Beatles, Prince, Led Zeppelin, Brian May, Pat Travers, Ronnie Le Tekro, Paco de Lucia, Al Di Meola and Kayak. 

Best known as one of the frontmen of hard rock band Extreme, whose biggest hit, oddly enough was a ballad. He's mighty nimble fingered - this is him on Janet Jackson's "Black Cat" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVF--MwrdQ4 .

One of the other singles he's revered for among fans is "Get the Funk Out" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dsz4TpIRvI.

That ballad ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
its actualy not that much of an oddity for hard rock bands to have their biggest or big hits as ballads
i have no theory as to why that happens though.
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Happy 53rd birthday to country singer Faith Hill.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
Pete Salisbury

aged 49

drummer for UK alt rock band The Verve

always thought they were overrated but i did like their third album Urban Hymns

fave of theirs by a country mile......

Helen Shapiro 

aged 73:

UK pop idol from the 1960s.

had a handful of big hits out there,

my favourite:

BEN LOVETT

guitar, accordian, percussion, pinist with Mumford & Sons.
34 candles on his cake today.

loved their debut album Sigh No More but it was all downhill for me after that.

Robert Lamm was born on this day in 1944, in Brooklyn, New York. He was raised in a musical family and sang in a large men's and boy's choir. He is one of the three founding members of Chicago and wrote a few of their earliest hits – or if not actual hits at the time, better known songs ? – keys and vocals. He’s also had a solo career so I thought I’d try one of his albums outside of the big band - this is from his Skinny Boy - none other than Terry Kath on bass - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDPJ5xxhfuU

This is his too -  Peter Cetera singing ... sound isn't great on this clip but it's more fun to watch than an album cover ...  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 1,915 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 1,430 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 4,098 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 1,242 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO