Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Born on this day ...
Happy Birthday to Mario Muntas who was born on this day in 1947, in Viña del Mar, Chile. There’s not a lot of info about him (in English at any rate) other than to do with his involvement with Los Jaivas – he’s been with them on (and a little bit off) for 55 years – some of the band members have known one another since high school. He is a bassist and vocalist but is also a dab hand at a few other instruments including the zampoña and the quena  - Andean pipes and flute respectively. 

I always try to listen to at least one album of a birthday person if I'm not familiar with their stuff, so today it’s Alturas De Macchu Picchu (after a selection of poems by Pablo Neruda) – released in 1981. Chilean symphonic/folk prog – who knew?? Another one to add to the endless list.

“La Poderosa Muerte”

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Happy 64th birthday to Dwight Yoakam!

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
Robbie McIntosh was born on this day in 1957, in Surrey, England. He had classical guitar training from the age of 13 and became enamoured of the blues listening to Lightnin’ Hopkins. After a few false starts and interim occupations (lorry driver being one), he got a break playing for band called Night – they toured the USA in 1979 supporting The Doobie Brothers. Night’s lead singer was Chris Thompson of Manfred Mann’s Earth Band and so the rock n roll genealogy began - the personnel swapping/interconnections in the biz would look like the back of a giant tapestry if you could somehow depict it - a major bamboozling puzzle! He went on to join The Pretenders for around seven years, and much like another very sought after session guitarist, Dean Parks (who appears on literally countless recordings), he has played with many, many other artists since, including alongside Mark Knopfler (and Guy Fletcher, and John Illsley) and to name-drop a few more, Tori Amos, Paul McCartney, Talk Talk and Mark Hollis, Tears for Fears, Norah Jones, John Mayer, Joe Cocker, etc., etc.

He’s also released a handful of solo albums and two more as The Robbie McIntosh Band. I gave one of the latter a whirl, Emotional Bends – some of it was alright but he doesn’t have the voice – shame about that. Didn’t mind this track though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3W39rIoGZM

His guitarwork is much more impressive than his vocal ability, as is evident, and oddly I’d been noticing it lately – on “Slow Dancing” by Big Sky, and on Gordon Haskell’s final album.

Posting this one for the amazing album cover as much as for the music – fantastic photograph! He plays throughout the whole release …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Happy 62nd birthday to lead singer Mark Miller of the country band named Sawyer Brown. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and him and the other band members always!!!

Holly
James Young was born on this day in 1949. He's the only original member of Styx still with the band. Guitarist and vocalist, he's also released a couple of solo albums and one James Young Group album. He's taken the lead vocal on at least one track on all Styx albums and written/co-written more than a few along the way - generally the heavier rockers. 

From the James Young Group's Raised by Wolves ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9CUTZl-Is4

This was written and sung by him - "Double Life" from Kilroy Was Here ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=5dE9Ttvm46Y

And what might the one he's best known for with Styx - "Snowblind" ... 

Long gone now, Johnny Mercer was born on 18 November 1909 - absolutely prolific songwriter and notable for songs that seem to have endured. He certainly filled up his life (which wasn't all that long) with music, music and more music! Noticed him on the lists and immediately thought of Elton John's rather fab rendition of his and Henry Mancini's "Moon River"...  

^^
Andy Williams for me

^^
Music Head has spoken lol
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Happy Birthday to the Mac in Fleetwood, John McVie, born in Middlesex, England, in 1945.

Bass player with John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers and along with Mick Fleetwood, the only two members of Fleetwood Mac to appear on every one of the band’s releases. McVie learned the bass when he was youngish because not many of his contemporaries were doing that, at the time; they were learning lead and he wanted to be different. His contribution to FM was steady rather than stellar, however, the tricky relationships between the band members, (his and Christine’s being notably difficult as one might expect, getting hitched after two weeks! But anyway – I digress) paradoxically contributed in large part to the success of Rumours. He’s been sober since 1987 having had a major battle with the demon drink which had been one of his greatest problems to begin with – gave himself a huge fright having a seizure after a particularly heavy binge. He’s also a keen sailor, taking to the vast open waters in his spare time.

He took the photo that appears on the album cover of Bare Trees ….

Yesterday, I played all of my favorites from country singer Patty Loveless. She turned 64.

God bless you and Patty always!!!

Holly

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 1,915 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 1,430 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 4,098 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 1,242 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO