Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
GRAM PARSONS - GP, followed by Grievous Angel 

No, I am not suddenly a country music convert but these two were an interesting listen. Can't help wondering how he'd have evolved as an artist had he not self-destructed. He and Emmy sing perfectly together. 

If I had to pick one from each album today they would be ... "$1000 Dollar Wedding"  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaCZ3KgJe8 from Grievous Angel, although "Brass Buttons" is a close second - and "She" from GP ... the man sang his heart out for sure ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 51mKaHJOm3L._AC_UY218_.jpg]

GEORGE JONES "the absolutely essential 3cd collection" cd, 2013

DISK-1:

a three cd set featuring tracks from his beginnings in 1954 thru to 1961, twenty tracks on each disk.
from rockabilly to country.
i have nothing else to compare to but at least half on the first disk appear to have been released as singles:

listing the tracks so MH can tell me if this first disk is a definitive representation of Possum's really early stuff:

white lightning, treasure of love, yearning to kiss you, im ragged but im right, why baby why, no money in this deal, i take the chance, 
dont stop the music, color of the blues, big harlan taylor, honky tonkin', tender years, out of control, take the devil out of me, if i dont
love you (grits aint groceries), who shot sam, uh-oh-no, still hurtin', life to go, cold cold heart.

either way,
I LOVE THIS DISK

i dont have a favourite but heres one i love:

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

^^
now that's country
where is The Race Is On?

just checked the other two disks,
its not on there mate.

looking forward to hearing the other two disks,
as you said....Thats Country!
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

DISK-2:

a three cd set featuring tracks from his beginnings in 1954 thru to 1961.
another twenty tracks on this disk.
this must be the "oh woe is me" disk.
lots of feeling sorry for himself songs here.
loving just about everything on here:
I LOVE THIS DISK:

again, the songs for MH to ponder:

heartaches by the number, did i ever tell you, if youve got the money...., im with the wrong one, too much water, sweet dreams, 
just one more, what am i worth, heartbroken me, play it cool, gonna come get you,  i gotta talk to your heart, money to burn,
hey good lookin', accidently on purpose, family bible, sparkling brown eyes, dont do this to me, settin' the woods on fire, a girl i used to know.

hard to pick a favourite again but i do love this one:

DISK-2:

a three cd set featuring tracks from his beginnings in 1954 thru to 1961.
another twenty tracks on this disk.
loving about half of this, liking the remainder except for one track...She Thinks I Still Care, sorry but Presley owns this one.
I LOVE THIS DISK.

the tracks for MH's benefit:

she thinks i still care, its been so long, why dont you love me like you used to do, my sould been satisfied, tall tall trees, you gotta be my baby,
all i want to do, Jesus wants me, jambalaya, rain rain, oh lonesome me, frozen heart, the window up above, we'll understand it,
poor mans riches, one is a lonely number, ive got five dollars and its saturday night, half as much, i love you because, youre still on my mind.

one of the tracks i love:

I had a stall at a local thrift market selling all sorts stuff so friend Fred brought along a box of records to add to the general mayhem – trimming down his collection. Have never heard some of them and since they are still languishing, uncollected, decided to have a listen!

Simon & Garfunkel – Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.

[Image: R-11132948-1519474223-9226.jpeg.jpg]   [Image: R-11132948-1519474240-8580.jpeg.jpg]

Still cutting their song-writing teeth when this, their debut album, was released in 1964, although they’d been practicing for a good eight years prior – amazing that they persevered, especially as the album sank like a stone at the time. At the tender age of 23, they’d already written their best-known song – or Paul Simon had, I should say - not that anyone really noticed! 

There are covers and traditional folk songs too – one or two typical of the early sixties sound and sentiment – Paul’s songs are definitely the best things on here, by a country mile, whatever that is! Faultless harmonies. Love the album artwork and the ‘liner’ notes by Art Garfunkel – so full of promise – glad it was fulfilled.

The very first “The Sounds of Silence” – (uploader has several titles incorrect) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95dv1zk5y0

The title track, which is also the final song on the album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95dv1zk5y0

“Sparrow” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FniUPxpYYAU

And “Bleecker Street” …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
^^
i know everyone in the world seems to love S&G but i dont.
i dont see anything in what they do.
apart from "bridge over troubled waters" and "bright eyes" i do not like Art.
apart from "rhythm of the saints" and "graceland" im not a fan of Paul.
(ive had this discussion with MH under an oak tree in his front yard previously, he thinks im weird LOL!)

anyway,
back to my post at hand:

** no cover available for this budget album **

JIM REEVES  "welcome to my world" cd

a budget 'rainbow records' release.
a double cd, thirty one tracks from Gentleman Jim.
a few were singes, most were not but it doesnt matter, im a fan of the dude which is more than i can say for the tour guide at RCA-Studios in Nashville...poor thing was talking about a Reeves song that was playing but she got the artist wrong LOL, MH quickly advised her who Jim Reeves was hahaha. 
anyway.
loving most of these tracks on here, liking the remainder.

favourite this time round:

I'm listening to Jim White's latest album Misfit's Jubilee - released recently but nowhere to be found to hear, other than on bandcamp - https://jimwhite.bandcamp.com/album/misfits-jubilee

He's a breath of freaky fresh air - always has a wry take on things and is uncompromising in either his exuberance  or reflectiveness, come what may. He has a lot to say which he does very effectively in unique style - a highly complex individual.

I like some of his stuff and especially love this track which goes back a way, from Drill a Hole in That Substrate and Tell Me What You See - nice acoustic version and a frank intro ... 

Love the slogans on the stickers! Very honest, straight guy. Going to buy this. Great lyrics. (throwing rocks at sorrow's window pane).
I come from a completely dysfunctional family so I can relate to what he says entirely. Close to the bone. He tells it like it is. No bullshit. Another masterstroke from Aunty Ruby. Where DO you find this stuff Miss Tuesday? Made my day. 

Found his list of professions very interesting - from Wiki

'Professional surfer, comedian, guitarist, fashion model, cab driver, singer-songwriter, boxer, preacher'
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Chris Thile - Thanks for Listening Ruby 3 1,853 30-01-2018, 21:15
Last Post: Ruby
  Johnny Flynn - Been Listening Music Head 1 1,914 01-11-2010, 19:29
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE