Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Getting lost in the Oxygene Trilogy today. This music is light years ahead of anything else ever created in the electronic realm. Pure genius at work. Recorded in a makeshift studio in his kitchen in 1976. The artwork by Michel Granger captures the mood of this album perfectly. Or maybe the music was inspired by the painting. Not sure. Anyway, when I am sick of listening to all the other albums I always return to this one. Just like DSOTM it does not age at all. Timeless beauty and simplicity.
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
[Image: 220px-Dare-cover.png]

HUMAN LEAGUE  "dare"  vinyl/cd 1981

a revisit of a classic album...
their third album but first to make a real impression on the charts...
full of catchy tunes and surprisingly, the synths do not sound too dated like a lot from that era...
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

favourite:

Take time to see the wonders of the world
To see the things you've only ever heard of
Dream life the way you think it ought to be
See things you thought you'd never ever see

Take a cruise to China or a train to Spain
Go 'round the world again and again
Meet a girl on a boat, meet a boy on a train
And fall in love without the pain

Everybody needs love and adventure
Everybody needs cash to spend
Everybody needs love and affection
Everybody needs two or three friends

These are the things, these are the things
The things that dreams are made of

Take a lift to the top of the Empire State
Take a drive across the Golden Gate
March, march, march across Red Square
Do all the things you've never dared

Everybody needs love and adventure
Everybody needs cash to spend
Everybody needs love and affection
Everybody needs two or three friends

Like fun and money and food and love
And things you never thought of

New York, ice cream, TV, travel, good times
Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times

(Everybody needs love and affection)
(Everybody needs love and affection)
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Daring and very, very different - Brian Eno's 'Music For Films'.

https://youtu.be/q5VIJor61uM
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
(12-02-2023, 15:34)JeromeD Wrote: Getting lost in the Oxygene Trilogy today. This music is light years ahead of anything else ever created in the electronic realm. Pure genius at work. Recorded in a makeshift studio in his kitchen in 1976. The artwork by Michel Granger captures the mood of this album perfectly. Or maybe the music was inspired by the painting. Not sure. Anyway, when I am sick of listening to all the other albums I always return to this one. Just like DSOTM it does not age at all. Timeless beauty and simplicity.

Glad you appreciate JM Jarre’s masterpiece. I used to listen a lot of his music (I might suggest Zoolook if you would try some “very different” Jarre) but frankly I’ve never listened his later oxygene works. But there is a lot of music I regret that I haven’t listened when I used to listen a lot of music (not in recent decades…). Brian Eno’s music is among that (I know him just for the amazingly effective atmospheres in Zooropa and Numb). Since you like Brian Eno's 'Music For Films', perhaps you might like Vangelis’ soundtracks too? I would prefer Antarctica over Chariots Or Fire or Bladerunner, but there is an improper “soundtrack” that is actually superb for my tastes: although it was the soundtrack of a milestone for who (like me) was inducted into science by it, it’s more a compilation that includes classical music, providing an effective bridge from the past to modern electronic/ambient music: https://youtu.be/AQ720sKllMM .
I am very familiar with Vangelis. Have most, if not all, of his albums. I will give Cosmos a try - probably right up my alley if it combines classical & modern elements. Try Oxygene 7 - 13. Play that one quite a bit. The last of the Oxygene Trilogy discs is not that great but the final track is awesome.
[Image: 220px-Vangelis_album_cover_image_-_%28Mask%29.jpg]

VANGELIS  "mask" 1985

borrowed from a friend...
his 10th studio album...
often called "the mask"....
i have a couple of his albums, both of which i like so was curious to hear another...
six tracks, 45 minutes in length...
has enough variation to keep me listening throughout...
not sure how this one ranks in his back catalogue (maybe Jerome could guide me) but...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

fave of the six 'movements'...

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-PaulMcCartneyalbum_-_McCartneyII.jpg]

PAUL McCARTNEY  "mccartney II"  cd/vinyl 1980

his tenth post Beatle project,
this time it falls in to the electronic/synth-pop genre of music...
there are a couple of ballads and a bluesy tune but the rest falls here...
album came about by accident as Macca had recently built a new studio and loaded it the latest gadgets and technology...
all he was doing was trying to figure out the electronics and out popped an album...
theres some really cool McCartney moments on here including the huge hit "coming up" and one of his most gorgeous acoustic songs in "one of these days", the latter is under produced and feels not quite finished but that just adds to the charm of it IMO...
elsewhere, there are a couple of electronic instrumentals and several which feature vocal manipulations...
its a McCartney album without being a McCartney album much like the experimental Fireman albums of the 1990s...
its the sort of album that still divides fans, me, i really like it because it is not your stock standard Macca album...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

my favourite:

Winter Garden - Eraldo Bernocchi, Harold Budd & Robin Guthrie

Crystalline yet comforting - textured layers of sound - this is ambient music and much appreciated after an interminable week! Phew! Definitely headphones material. 

"Harmony and the Play of Light" 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Aero - Jean Michel Jarre. A reworking of some of his better known pieces. A very classy production indeed.
Eno - Music for Airports to be followed by Music for Films. Two albums that define the term 'ambient'.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What im listening to at the moment PsychoPrincess81 1 467 26-10-2021, 17:26
Last Post: JeromeD