Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 220px-EMF_Schubert_Dip_CD_cover.JPG]

EMF   "schubert dip"  1991.

not mine but borrowed from a good friend....
UK alternative band..
debut album of four...
album was pretty bland until the two singles came on...
had forgotten about those two tracks but they were welcomed because i had not heard them for years...
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

but i love the two single, "i believe" and the one linked below...

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-Morrissey-Vauxhall_and_I.jpg]

MORRISSEY  "vauxhall and i" 1994

once again, borrowed from a good friend...
Moz's fourth solo album...
had never heard it previously and was keen because of the rave reviews it has always got...
rave reviews my ass, a terrible album IMO, nowhere near his best and not far from being the worst of his i have heard,
that said there were a couple of decent tracks on it and to be fair, maybe i wasnt in a Morrissey frame of mind...
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

best of a bad bunch of songs...

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-BenFoldsRockingtheSuburbs.jpg]

BEN FOLDS   "rockin' the suburbs" 2001.

another borrowed selection from a good friend...
Folds' debut album...
i only own a compilation and i do not like that so i had few hopes for a studio album...
OMG, that was bad, i figured out that i cannot bare his style at all and that is not good because i have another one in the car ready to play...
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

fave of a bad bunch of songs for me..

[Image: 220px-Kasabian_-_The_Alchemist%27s_Euphoria.png]

KASABIAN  "the alchemist's euphoria" cd 2022

their seventh studio album,
i own the previous six and only purchased this recently as it was in a discount bin.
i knew it was a mistake as if it was any good i would have got it upon release last year...
so, their original lead singer was sacked between their previous album and this one due to being convicted of domestic violence charges against his girlfriend who survived what the courts describe as a 'vicious and sustained attack'.
i do not like the new vocalist or the direction the band are taking since Tom Meighan's departure and even though some of the songs are not too bad
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

lead off single:

[Image: 220px-Snowpatrolsongsforpolarbearsalbumcover.jpg]

SNOW PATROL  "songs for polarbears" cd, 1998

their debut of seven of which i own seven...
damn, 25 years has passed since this was released WTF, how time flies...
slightly different sound and vibe that their latter album, probably because they were trying to find their true sound at this time...
still, an excellent, excellent album, i would like to say its my favourite but its been a while since i have really listened to their material so its hard to say but it would most likely be  in the top 3 for sure...
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

their debut single: 

[Image: 220px-McCartney_III_Album_Cover.jpg]

PAUL McCARTNEY  "mccartney III" cd/vinyl 2020.

twenty-fifth post Beatle release (not including soundtracks, classical/opera or collaboration albums)...
recorded during covid lockdowns, or as Macca calls it: "rockdown"...
its only in alternative because it does not fit neatly in any other thread...
all instruments/vocals/production etc by The Man himself (as are the two previous self titled albums)...
some rock, funk, drum'n'bass, folk, acoustic, soft rock, pop and experimental tracks...
some of this works beautifully IMO, other parts a whole lot less so...
sad that Macca's voice is all but shot on most of the tracks but he is still able to write catchy songs at almost eighty years of age...
opening track which is almost a total instrumental rocker is simple yet works for me,
closer was actually a leftover from the 1992 "flaming pie" sessions and does not fit the album because it shows just how much his voice has deteriorated over the intervening years, a sad but inevitable part of life, it is also the best thing on here but because it was recorded so long ago it doesnt count IMO...
album would make a more than fitting end to his recording career if if this is the case but who knows...
anyway, overall, this album is passable if only for nostalgic and personal reasons...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

the opening track:

[Image: 220px-When-Its-Over-album-cover.jpg]

SNOW PATROL  "when its all over, we still have to clear it up" cd, 2001

Irish indi-rock band...
their sophomore album...
seven releases overall, i own them all...
this was actually the last album of theirs that i purchased and the only one im not overly impressed with...
sure its good but just not as good as their other releases for some reason that i cannot figure out,
even playing it in chronological order with the ones around it still does not improve my experience with it...
that all said, it is still not a bad album, it just lacks something that their other releases have...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

lead off single:

[Image: 220px-%27Cos_Life_Hurts_by_Uncanny_X_men.jpg]

UNCANNY X-MEN  "cos life hurts" 1985

borrowed from a friend...
aussie synth-pop, pop/rock, rock band which is why i put it in Alternative...
debut album of only two, triple platinum here and multi platinum single too ("50 years")...
album was better than i anticipated which was a bonus...
was never a fan back in the day as the singer had a real off-putting attitude but that said...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

the big hit:  UNCANNY X-MEN - 50 Years - YouTube

my favourite:

[Image: 220px-BESTcd.jpg]

SILVERCHAIR "the best of: volume 1" cd, 2000

a two cd set, first disk is a-sides, the second disk is the b-sides of those singles...
Aussie rock band, released their first album as 15 year olds in 1996 as a grunge band...
quickly evolved into a genuine rock band and by their fourth album they were using strings and orchestrations.
so all this before the members reached 20...
they won 9 ARIA awards (Aussie version of Grammy's) before the year 2000 also with a further 12 after that date...
nothing on here i do not like and cool to see the band evolve..
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

cool song:

[Image: 220px-Silverchair_-_Diorama.jpg]

SILVERCHAIR  "diorama"  cd, 2002

aussie rock band,
fourth album of five...
started life as a grunge band releasing their debut album at 15yrs young but quickly evolved into something more mature...
pop/rock melodies, strings, orchestrations and thoughtful lyrics...
excellent album IMO
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

lead off single: