Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: a1574242246_16.jpg]

BIG LEAGUE   "I THOUGHT THUNDERBOLT"  CD  2017

borrowed from a friend...
Aussie alt rock band...
debut album, but of how many subsequent releases i do not know...
solid alt sounds on here...
am suspecting some of their influences may include Smiths and Blur...
took a couple of listens to really appreciate and enjoy but once i did...
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

one of the standouts:  BIG LEAGUE - "Defender Luxe" - BRIDGE CITY SESSIONS - YouTube  (cool live version)

and my favourite:

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-Nirvana_mtv_unplugged_in_new_york.png]

NIRVANA   "MTV: unplugged in NY"  cd 1994

recorded just a couple of months prior to Cobain's death...
only thing of theirs that i like...
solid acoustic renditions of otherwise forgettable songs IMO...
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

love this cover of an old blues tune:

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-Boys_next_door-door_door.png]

THE BOYS NEXT DOOR  "door door" vinyl 1979.

the first ever Nick Cave release...
his band were to evolve into Birthday Party and later Bad Seeds...
album has a distinct new wave/post punk sound and is made up of basically 3 minute songs...
for the most part you wouldnt even recognise it as as a Cave album until the the final song, Shivers.
Shivers is that stereotypical deep/dark/haunting/brooding piano track he was later known for.
that song stands up to anything in his back catalogue (with its theme of suicide)...
the rest of the album is excellent, loving the grimy/grungy/post punk eratic sounds contained within...
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

both linked tracks are definitely worth a listen if you are at all interested in Nick Cave

one of the heavier tracks:    The Nightwatchman - YouTube

and the classic "shivers"

[Image: 220px-David_Byrne_-_American_Utopia.jpg]

DAVID BYRNE  "american utopia" cd 2018

co-written and produced with Brian Eno...
its quirky, arty, over the top whacky as one would expect from the Talking Heads front man...
if memory serves me correct this was  my favourite album of 2018 and nothing changes on this listen...
three days of continual play  in the car cd player and i loved every minute of it, excellent stuff IMO
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

fave: "i dance like this"    David Byrne - I Dance Like This (Official Audio) - YouTube

lead off single:

[Image: 220px-Momofuku.jpg]

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS  "momofuku" cd, 2008

his twenty-seventh studio album...
another one i had not posted on MD previously...
the album title refers to Momofuku Ando, the creator of 'raman instant noodles', due to the speed of which the album was created...
all originals on here but two tracks are co-writes, one with Roseanne Cash, the other with Loretta Lynn...
that said, it is not a country album, it is a rock/soft rock album but for some reason i always put Costello in alternative for some reason.
a solid album, not his best and a long way from being his worst, nothing to dislike and a couple of tracks i love..
this one comes in at around 2.1/2.2 which means....
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

the one he wrote with Rosanne Cash:  Song With Rose - YouTube
the one he wrote with Loretta Lynn:    Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve - YouTube

the lead off single:  

[Image: 220px-Punch_the_Clock_%28Elvis_Costello_...art%29.jpg]

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS   "punch the clock" cd 1983

his seventh...
a first for me posting this one on MD...
R+B, soul, rock, alternative, new wave all over this one...
contains three of his greatest songs in "shipbuilding", "everyday i write the book" and "pills and soap"...
a solid collection of songs showing Costello was still a force to be reckoned with musically and lyrically even though his major hit days were probably behind him by this stage...
album would come in at around 2.4 if i ranked it which means,....
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

one of the rarely heard songs:

[Image: 220px-Costellogoodbye.jpg]

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS  "goodbye cruel world" vinyl 1984

his nineth, a first time posting on MD...
while there is nothing wrong with the melodies, lyrics or his delivery of the songs i do have an issue with this album...
terrible 1980s production and overuse of synthesizers (nothing wrong with synths, just doesnt fit well with Costello IMO)...
so this one comes in at 1.9
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

best of an average bunch of songs!

[Image: 220px-Trustelviscostello.jpg]

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS  "trust"  vinyl 1981

his fifth, 
and again never been posted on MD by me previously...
not really an 'alternative' album but so many different styles on here that it really isnt genre specific...
still has new wave sounds, post punk, rockabilly, tin-pan alley,  a ballad and a country sounding tune encompass this one...
its amazing to think that the two major hits from it: "new lace sleeves" and "clubland" arent even the best tracks IMO which shows the quality of this guys prowess as a songwriter...
album would rate somewhere close to 2.5 which means...
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

love this country tinged song.

[Image: 220px-BE_Artwork.jpg]

BEADY EYE  "BE"  cd, 2013

Liam Gallagher and the other members of Oasis formed Beady Eye after the Oasis implosion...
their second album of only two before LG went solo...
album has a sound not too far from Oasis in places (must be his distinctive vocal quality i guess...
album reached #2 in the UK...
nothing bad on here and several i love, album would come in at 2.2 which means,
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

favourite track (and lead off single)

[Image: 220px-Different_Gear%2C_Still_Speeding.jpg]

BEADY EYE  "different gear, still speeding" cd, 2011

Liam Gallagher's first post Oasis album...
was a disappointing effort back then and is still pretty lame now...
several half decent tracks but nothing of real note for me here...
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

lead off single: