Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Week Seven Album Review:Gorillaz.......Plastic Beach
#1
[Image: gryphon-albums-gryphons-images-picture14...-20101.jpg]


This one carries an apology to Drealm : sorry it took so long to put this on the review but it has reached the top of the pile now

Here's the link
http://rapidshare.com/files/362814328/Gorillaz-.....rar

Happy reviewingCool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
#2
I m marking this thread.
#3
A sixteen track album to review this time. I understand that this is mainly available as a download world wide and only Japan has issued it as I CD. I think that fits well with the concept that this a virtual band ……………….consisting of Damian Albarn of Britpop band Blur, and Jamie Hewlett. This is the third album by this “band” and so by now they have overcome the challenge of the first album and its follow up. By track two, one can feel and hear, tell that Blur`s tale fingerprints are on this album. Welcome to the world of plastic…has the somewhat cynical lyrical edge which laid bare many a character, in a Blur lyric. ( I believe that this rich vain can be raced back to the lyrics of the Kinks !!! but I might be wrong)
It does not take long to settle into this album………The musical style is current and yet in some ways reto. Quite a nice combination ……………….!
This is an album which has been made with a collaboration of many other stars and musicians and this is apparent in the fact that it appears to feel like a mature and well developed project. The lessons of the Brit pop day are evident as we see a combination of pop music with the use of a sizable orchestral presence.
This album has plenty of accessible pop tracks and I believe will appeal to a wide audience Many of the tracks are memorable and have lasting appeal. Overall I would give it a good recommendation.Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
#4
Back to the top Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
#5
Long awaited release by many I guess. And I really had high expectations, as I liked Demon Days quite a bit. Have to say this one left me hanging though. I actually listened to this about a week ago and posted in the Listening To thread. Had I known it was coming up here, I would not have done so, as I like for these to be reviewed on a first listen. I did give it another spin though as I wanted by opinion to be fresh. As is usually the case, a few tracks were better this time around, but not much. Three tracks moved up a notch from first listen, Some Kind Of Nature, Plastic Beach and To Binge. Plastic Beach still didn't get to the like stage, but moved off the worst. The Lou Reed Some Kind Of Nature moved up based on, I don't know, Lou Reed probably. To Binge was my favorite track on the first listen, and remains so. Not sure who Little Dragon is on there, but she's cool. Bottom line, the tracks I like the best are the ones where Albarn takes center stage. A lot of the stuff is too techno for me and the rap stuff I couldn't get into. I'm not anti-rap by any means, but none of these hit home. Snoop Dog or Mos Def just don't fit. Worst tracks were Glitter and Sweepstakes. Although my overall opinion moved up, this would still not reach my buy rating.

#6
Ladies and Gentleman , we have reached the half-way point on this weeks album reviewCool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
#7
So I missed this review, I was a little off recently. But now I will give a good review because I could listen to it many times now. I hate reviewing an album just after 1 or 2 listen because it's not fair I think, it's just first impressions.

So, my first impression was so-so, it seemed ok but not impressive.

But this was a false impression. Now, I think this album is the logical continuity of Gorillaz and that it is was it should be: another great album.

Like I read before, this band is a unique blend of styles and that is wonderful. I like when an artist have an open mind and use more than one singer and use a wide range of instrument, while keeping the style that is known of the band. So this release include some rap singing, female singing, Damon singing and other guess. I can say this band really impress me as all this variety is, on top of all, well composed; good concoction and good songs. What can I ask more?

Each song have it's own quality, so the album is not up and down; it keeps good all the way.

So as a fan that loved their two first albums, I conclude by saying that I'm completely satisfied with this release. I hope to see another one in the future.
#8
gryphon Wrote:A sixteen track album to review this time. I understand that this is mainly available as a download world wide and only Japan has issued it as I CD. I think that fits well with the concept that this a virtual band ……………….

You're mistaken here. The album have been released on standart edition CD, Experience edition CD+DVD, Japanese standart and experience and Itune Deluxe edition.

But I hate this! If you want to get everything, you can't. Every release have some bonus that others have not so it's bullshit marketing. I ended up buying the Standard edition CD and finding the bonus I wanted on internet.

Why not put everything in the Experience Edition? Sometimes I hate marketing.


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jethro Tull Best Album Poll - 2 of 2 Music Head 5 7,487 14-11-2016, 11:34
Last Post: Jerome
  Jethro Tull Best Album Poll - 1 of 2 Music Head 8 9,445 29-07-2016, 15:38
Last Post: bob_32_116
  U2 Best Album Poll - 1 of 1 Music Head 19 12,913 29-07-2016, 15:34
Last Post: bob_32_116
  Rush Best Album Poll - 1 of 2 Music Head 21 18,660 29-07-2016, 15:23
Last Post: bob_32_116
  R.E.M. Best Album Poll - 2 of 2 Music Head 22 17,526 29-06-2016, 05:39
Last Post: Ndowar75
  Black Sabbath Best Album Poll - 1 of 2 Music Head 23 13,442 23-05-2016, 15:54
Last Post: Jerome
  AC/DC Best Album Poll - 1 of 2 Music Head 21 15,571 22-05-2016, 22:03
Last Post: dennis1077
  Pink Floyd Best Album Poll - 2 of 2 Music Head 50 24,982 20-05-2016, 04:52
Last Post: bob_32_116
  Metallica Best Album Poll - 1 of 1 Music Head 43 22,802 20-05-2016, 00:00
Last Post: nefilim
  R.E.M. Best Album Poll - 1 of 2 Music Head 12 8,087 19-05-2016, 23:59
Last Post: nefilim

Forum Jump: