Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A proposal for a new part of MD!
When I first joined MD , I wanted to expand my musical appreciation from the position it as at at that time..................I had had around 40 years of experience and many people had left their musical marks on me.
One of my first posts was to try and get people to share their knowledge of areas that I had not explored..............I think it was like this:

Hi I am Gryphon

I have been a music lover for 40 years and have a wide range of tastes : Folk .Rock,Pop,Rock and Rock , Progressive Rock and many more
I have joined this forum because I would like to widen my musical listen patterns .
I look forward to hearing about new artists and their music

Now over the time I have been on the forum, I have seen quite a few posts which follow the same line.
This morning I found one from CP who wanted to find a starting point to explore the works of the band Gong. We have exchanged a few ideas and this got me thinking;
I would like to propose the following:
A special section of the forum called “ The beginners Guide To.........................”
In this sections members of the forum members could start a thread in which they take a band they have knowledge of / like/ have expertise in etc
They might do the following in the first post for that thread:

• · They write a little about the background to the band
  • · They suggest a starting point for new listeners to start with eg An album , A CD A download
  • · They explain why this might be a good starting point
  • · They suggest further listening ....more CDs to go to etc
  • · Things to avoid unless you really get into the band
  • · A web site or two to give info
  • · A Youtube link or two
  • · DVDs etc

These are then put at the start of a new thread with the Title “ The beginners guide to xxxxxxxxxx”
Other people can add their beginners guide to it and/or comments.....
Feedback could be added to indicate what people new to the band found interesting etc
In this way we can build up an archive which people can refer to get started with a new and or area of music
I know that we have lots of expertise on this site:

Tiggi is our Pink Floyd , Reggae and many other things guru
MH knowledge and experience is truly awesome on so many fronts...............
I feel Kerry would like to guide us all to “Overcome The Great Hanson Divide “ by telling us where to start.

I would volunteer moderate it if that would help and I could contribute too
If Techman could set up a new forum on the page for it when he has a bit of time.

I think it would enrich the forum, I feel it would bring new members in , it would give us something other sites don’t have and finally I think it would be enjoyable and useful..................

[FONT=&quot]What do you think ???? Shall we do it ?:nod:CoolCool[/FONT]
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
I like the idea.
I will go for anything new, but have learned to restrain my hopes.

Music Head Wrote:I will go for anything new, but have learned to restrain my hopes.

Yey of little hope. Anything that sets us apart from the others is surely a bonus. If members are likely to use this new forum, then we will create it.
I think we should have a go....................If Techman can set me up a sub forum...........I'll have a stab at putting the first one on......................

I feel that like the quiz , if we all give it a good try others will follow our lead and come on board.

Slowly it will grow and as far as I'm aware it will be something that we have got and no other site has.

Personally I'm looking forward to it because I find it hard to know where to start with anew band or genre and guidance would help cut down the poor purchases ..............in addition I'd appreciate he chance to learn a bit more about new areas of music and find new areas of listening.Cool

I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
I was going to suggest this could be an attraction for the Groups section, but that would be confining the idea to an area with low traffic.

Worth giving it a go, I think...
I think it would be best on the main part MDCool

I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Be part of test comparing Music Streaming apps Beta Family 0 632 12-10-2015, 15:10
Last Post: Beta Family
  The weekly appointment with RFG part 2 RFG 1 561 18-11-2013, 16:22
Last Post: SteveO
  Proposal For Genre Restructure Tiggi 20 3,401 10-07-2011, 13:54
Last Post: Music Head