Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Beethoven - Piano Trio in E flat major Op. 1 No. 1 from a 4 CD boxset I just downloaded. Are there any bad Beethoven compositions? :happy:
[Image: 7e5f124128a0aac3855b5010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

17th Century music from predominantly English & Italian composers, all of whom are pretty obscure (Marco Uccellini, or Christopher Simpson, anyone ??)

Beautifully played on authentic instruments which roughly correspond to Recorder, Violin, Cello, & Guitar.

Wonderful playing. Totally delightful.

There are no bad compositions by assorted unknown composers, it seems...
lol.......

I heard this guy in a live casual performance in a festival in NY, he has a mixed African/middle eastern/opera/soul style, hard to describe , but an incredible joy to listen to. He was invited to go on stage (they called him a doctor)and sing by a soul group, he played some sort of african (maybe middle eastern instrument) too. I thought he has CD's and tracks, but I didn't find anything. curious of anybody else has heard him.
Listening to Debussy's Sarabande from Pour le Piano. So beautiful and powerful. Beast Claire de Lune any day (although that is wonderful too)
[Image: 51E6Tl2a%2BBL.jpg]

Mrs Tiggi & I have a couple of weeks' holiday from work, so we've opted to listen to the entire Ring Cycle.

This is the first Opera, and is the first studio recording, from about 1960.

The Rhein maidens have their stash of Rheingold stolen by Alberich the gnome. At about the same time, two giants complete the construction of Valhalla, a castle in the sky made for the Gods. Fricka the Goddess finds that Wotan - her husband - has arranged to pay the giants using Freia, her sister. This is not a good deal, since Freia is the expert gardener who tends the orchard from which the Gods get the apples which grant them eternal youth. Without her they are doomed.

Much wrangling follows, as Wotan tries to extricate himself from the deal. The giants hear about the stolen gold, and agree to return Freia if Wotan can pay them with the gold before sundown. Wotan & his wily advisor Loge set off to Niebelheim.

In the caves where the Niebelung reside, they find that Alberich has already had some of the gold forged into a ring which will give him untold power, and a tarnhelm which can make him invisible, or transform him into any creature he desires. They trick him, take him prisoner, and recover the gold. Alberich puts a curse on the ring.

The deal is finally done, Freia is returned, and the giants fight over their spoils. One kills the other, and the curse has taken its' first victim.

The Gods ascend the Rainbow Bridge into Valhalla, and all live happily ever after...

Lord of The Rings, anyone ??
lol

Have a nice holiday Mr & Mrs Tiggi

Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring - J. S. Bach. Big Grin
Cum Santu Spiritu - Bach Mass in B Minor
from my library (vinyl)

[Image: 41T7YA074XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

If these Tomita albums I have were original compositions, I would have to put him in electronic rather than classical. This album consists of reworks of compositions by Mussorgsky, Stravinsky and Debussy, the most notable being Stravinskys Firebird. I do not like this as well as Planets or my fav of Snowflakes Are Dancing but it is still a good album.

a Firebird sample
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBb7-He4o5E