Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is the meaning of the term " INDIE " music ?
I have looked at various sites on the web and I still really haven't found a comprehensive definition for the term "indie" artist or group ?

It refers to an independent record label but does it refer to a specific type of music ? If this is the case then what's the difference in style , etc. as opposed to let's say for discussion's sake - rock ? I don't hear the difference that much !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Indie rock refers to lo fi guitar sound, simple as that
It grew out of a blanket term for artists on independant labels, and then came to define the sound those sort of bands made. My reference point for an Indie band would be The Smiths, who recorded for Rough Trade. They would safely fall within the definition of an Indie band for me.

As ever, it came to stand for something else, as the original bands labelled as Indie migrated to major labels, taking the description with them.

That's my take on it all, anyway...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
I thought it was for bands that were formed in the great state of Indiana

Not much of an audiophile, I'm afraid !

What do you mean by lo fi guitar sound ?

mtthwibrahim Wrote:Indie rock refers to lo fi guitar sound, simple as that
Think it means music that was made with whatever equipment was available. i.e. no access to high-tech studios etc. etc. Some of the best albums were made this way. Jackson Browne's 'Running on Empty' springs to mind, some of which was recorded on a bus and various Holiday Inn hotel rooms around the States. Fantastic album too.
Tiggi is quite correct in his evaluation of the term and where it came from.
i remember vividly back in the 1980's that the NME used to print the regular charts and the Indie charts in their weekly paper, bands like the Smiths,Joy Division,New Order,Depeche Mode,Frankie Goes To Hollywood etc were regulars in the top 20.
nowadays the term "indie" is a copout for another Genre!....why, i dont know, but unfortunately we are stuck with it.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Can you great learned members please suggest to me some good Indie artists or groups, please ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_music[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_music_scenes#Canada"]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_music_scenes#Canada[/URL][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_music_scenes#United_States"]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_music...ted_States[/URL]

Wikipedia's definition of indie music and where some of it came from with band namas.
"God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."
Thanks, bj !!!! These links give me more fuel for my fire !!!,,,lol. At least you didn't try to explain it ....lol

Arcade Fire is "lo-Fi" as opposed to what - "hi-fi" ? If so what groups are "hi-fi" ....Hi fi as in High Fidelity stereo ....really confused now...da* genres !!!! I think it was Gryph that said he was a Hi Fi kind of guy ( as opposed to lofi or did Gryph mean his stereo system ????...I don't know ).

It appears to me IMHO it's a bs genre...cool man !!! lol

The Decemberists vs. Avett Brothers ...where's the real distinctive difference except I like Avetts a lot more !!!!!

Arcade Fire are no mor hifi than ACDC /...lol.... unless they mean independent record companies ...ok but hifi vs lofi.....no good either - Arcade on Mercury, Decemberists on Capitol and Avett Bros. on Columbia,,,man those don't sound like independent record labels to me ! They started on small independent labels so does everybody else these days ...lol

Remember Pink Floyd starting on Harvest and then going to EMI ?

By the way, as a slight detour, where did the name Pink Floyd come from....Floyd Pinkerton ????

IN CLOSING WHAT THE HECK DOES INDIE MEAN OR IS IT DUMB AND NONSENSICAL ???????If this is true it's just another example of made up stuoid genres, right CH ????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 50 5,338 17-09-2024, 19:40
Last Post: Music Head
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 1,143 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,285 29-12-2023, 01:40
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 12,483 27-12-2023, 13:10
Smile What year is your favorite in hiphop music? sing-a-long 1 852 17-10-2023, 04:36
  Vintage Music Reviews Ruby 2 505 08-10-2023, 16:51
Last Post: Music Head
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,295 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  Artistic Music Videos Sylwira 0 494 13-07-2023, 08:03
Last Post: Sylwira
  Favorite era of music? sing-a-long 2 1,058 17-06-2023, 05:19
Last Post: purpleocean
  What is a music enthusiast to do ? SteveO 15 3,716 21-02-2023, 14:26
Last Post: JeromeD