08-12-2016, 07:15
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-08/vi...uk/8102792
You need to read the article carefully, Consumers are spending more MONEY on vinyl purchases than on digital purchases, for the first time in many years, but there are still more digital units being sold. That's due to the simple fact that a digital download is much cheaper than a vinyl record.
I would have liked to know the figure for CDs, but it's not mentioned. I suspect they are still in front in terms of revenue generated.
Also interesting is the fact that about seven percent of vinyl customers do not own a turntable. Isn't that kind of silly? I mean, I can understand people buying vinyl because they think it's a better listening experience (though I'm not sure I agree), but to buy it without ever being able to listen to it? Is it just to have the artwork?
The science writer Douglas Hofstadter wrote a semi-serious short story about a character who was a "record collector". He did not listen to the records; he mounted them on the wall and looked at them, like you would paintings. He particularly liked Beethoven's Fifth, the way it shimmered in the light. He defended his habits by saying that he had bought a product that was generated by an artist, it now belonged to him and he was free to appreciate it in any way he chose: by playing it on a turntable, by framing it like a picture, by licking and tasting it, or whatever.
You need to read the article carefully, Consumers are spending more MONEY on vinyl purchases than on digital purchases, for the first time in many years, but there are still more digital units being sold. That's due to the simple fact that a digital download is much cheaper than a vinyl record.
I would have liked to know the figure for CDs, but it's not mentioned. I suspect they are still in front in terms of revenue generated.
Also interesting is the fact that about seven percent of vinyl customers do not own a turntable. Isn't that kind of silly? I mean, I can understand people buying vinyl because they think it's a better listening experience (though I'm not sure I agree), but to buy it without ever being able to listen to it? Is it just to have the artwork?
The science writer Douglas Hofstadter wrote a semi-serious short story about a character who was a "record collector". He did not listen to the records; he mounted them on the wall and looked at them, like you would paintings. He particularly liked Beethoven's Fifth, the way it shimmered in the light. He defended his habits by saying that he had bought a product that was generated by an artist, it now belonged to him and he was free to appreciate it in any way he chose: by playing it on a turntable, by framing it like a picture, by licking and tasting it, or whatever.
