Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
How do you start off a song?
#10
It comes all different ways. I still journal every morning. That 'cleans out the pipes'. Then I usually sit down and write something, just move m fingers across my axe. Sometimes its practicing. Other times I'm searching for something. If it sounds good i track it, catalog it in some way, digital recorder or in the studio. I usually save it under a name that says like tempo, mood etc.

Sometimes the journaling becomes a lyric or an idea of a lyric. Other times I sit down and write a lyric out on a specific song idea I have.

Then I have a tune and I have a lyric. If I am stuck on lyric idea, I look in the journal. If i have a good lyric in the journal, I try and write something for it or look up something that might fit the mood.

So it really is both ways. But I take it seriously and i search for the discipline in the writing process. To me its a business but I have made it a point not to write to sell stuff anymore. That made it backwards for me years ago when I wrote like that. If I sell something great but it works best if I just write.

Then if during the day I hear something, I write it down somehow right away.

All in all it doesn't matter lyrics and tunes both come first.

Hope this helps.
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soul (song) sing-a-long 0 1,635 09-04-2023, 18:39
Last Post: sing-a-long
  How do you write songs? How do you start and don't give up too soon? Natalia Sanderson 6 5,906 05-04-2021, 20:48
Last Post: vincent
  Which song lyrics do you like the best? Ledzepp 35 29,131 27-09-2016, 19:51
Last Post: oldies65
  Khaled Ajashi new own Song! LittleDun 0 2,792 25-09-2016, 02:32
Last Post: LittleDun
  Instrumental. New Song. Curious 0 2,345 21-03-2016, 09:58
Last Post: Curious
  New song we finished a couple weeks ago... Thoughts? good or bad. aurora4dth 3 3,828 27-02-2016, 10:51
Last Post: Jerome
  2016 French song Ozamindia 0 1,788 14-01-2016, 12:46
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Please check out this video of a new song that i wrote newriot 1 2,802 14-01-2016, 12:44
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Original song :))) MAYAN 1 2,339 14-01-2016, 12:43
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Original song! KahanoBeats_Bros - Stormy Night KahanoBeats_Bros 0 1,998 27-08-2015, 18:39
Last Post: KahanoBeats_Bros

Forum Jump: